ADVERTISEMENT

Ref Q

Repeat the down - but I’m still mugging the WRs in the endzone if it’s even close. Doesn’t cost you much yardage and no auto first down. Minimal penalty for the D in that situation!!

Hence one of the reasons I hate the defensive pass interference rule.

Repeat the down - but I’m still mugging the WRs in the endzone if it’s even close. Doesn’t cost you much yardage and no auto first down. Minimal penalty for the D in that situation!!

Ok lets say it happens on 2nd down and 5 from the 5. It's now 2nd and 2 1/2 from the 2 1/2

you just let the defense gain 2 1/2 yards without losing a down , do it again and they get 1/2 the distance and it is still 2nd down, That much closer to a touchdown

Ok lets say it happens on 2nd down and 5 from the 5. It's now 2nd and 2 1/2 from the 2 1/2

you just let the defense gain 2 1/2 yards without losing a down , do it again and they get 1/2 the distance and it is still 2nd down, That much closer to a touchdown

I’d rather give up two yards and repeat the down than give up a TD on a 50/50 ball. Lots can happen on the repeat down - holding, TFL, sack, etc. Now if it’s an auto first down for DPI - that’s a different story on a 50/50 questionable ball in the endzone. Chances a ton higher for a TD with an automatic 1st and goal from the 2.5 yard line. Also if it’s second and 20 or 3rd and 20 - same thing - think I’d rather take the interference penalitiy if I’m beat in coverage and go 2nd and 5 versus a 60 yard TD in one on one coverage. Think this is why College made it an automatic first down and NFL went one step further with the spot foul where penalities took place.

Perhaps you disagree - but I can see some potential abuses at times within the game with the HS rule in place. The rule is the rule - but there wouldn’t be anything wrong with coaches taking that rule into account when scheming for 3rd and long and goalline situations.

That said - There is another rule that I would think would get taken advantage of more often that doesn’t and that’s the field goal rule in high school. There is very little downside for attempting longer field goals in HS with the FG miss ball placement (isn’t it spotted at the 20 after a miss as long as the Ball makes it to the endzone and it’s also a dead ball in the endzone with a miss?). I don’t understand why more teams with quality kickers dont attempt more field goals? If you get it to the endzone but miss - it’s like a touchback on a kickoff and as good as a pint with the potential to get 3 points out of your punt. I’ve seen a few kids boot 45-50yard field goals this year so at least a few teams taking advantage of the rule?

Last edited:
I’d rather give up two yards and repeat the down than give up a TD on a 50/50 ball. Lots can happen on the repeat down - holding, TFL, sack, etc. Now if it’s an auto first down for DPI - that’s a different story on a 50/50 questionable ball in the endzone. Chances a ton higher for a TD with an automatic 1st and goal from the 2.5 yard line. Also if it’s second and 20 or 3rd and 20 - same thing - think I’d rather take the interference penalitiy if I’m beat in coverage and go 2nd and 5 versus a 60 yard TD in one on one coverage. Think this is why College made it an automatic first down and NFL went one step further with the spot foul where penalities took place.

Perhaps you disagree - but I can see some potential abuses at times within the game with the HS rule in place. The rule is the rule - but there wouldn’t be anything wrong with coaches taking that rule into account when scheming for 3rd and long and goalline situations.

That said - There is another rule that I would think would get taken advantage of more often that doesn’t and that’s the field goal rule in high school. There is very little downside for attempting longer field goals in HS with the FG miss ball placement (isn’t it spotted at the 25 or something after a miss? and dead ball in the endzone with a miss?) and I don’t understand why more teams with quality kickers dont attempt more field goals?

In HS on a FG if goes into end zone it's a touchback.... if short of end zone it's basically a punt... live ball that can be returned or downed wherever it comes to rest. Actually a decent strategy to employ if placekicker has more consistent distance than punter.... plus many opponents my not react well when they see you kicking FG from own 20 yard line or realize they can return it thus negating a return opportunity.

Last edited:
In HS on a FG if goes into end zone it's a touchback.... if short of end zone it's basically a punt... live ball that can be returned or downed wherever it comes to rest.

Yeah - I was typing that into my post as you were replying. One quick question. It’s only a live ball if it doesn’t make it into the endzone correct? If it goes into endzone it’s an automatic touchback just like on a kickoff that goes into the endzone (not allowed to return the ball once the ball crosses into the endzone or thecpkayer touches it in the endzone. Correct?

Yeah - I was typing that into my post as you were replying. One quick question. It’s only a live ball if it doesn’t make it into the endzone correct? If it goes into endzone it’s an automatic touchback just like on a kickoff that goes into the endzone (not allowed to return the ball once the ball crosses into the endzone or thecpkayer touches it in the endzone. Correct?

That's my understanding but wouldn't bet last dollar on it.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Once the ball breaks the plane of the goal line it is a touchback.. I have seen teams in the past do this. I also wonder why they don't try it more. If it stops at the 1 it is downed there

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
In the past DPI was an automatic first down, they eliminated it when they took away loss of down for OPI

Love refs who can't take any criticism... comes with the job and you chose to do it.... cry me a river! If I chose to do it, I would expect and understand the heat that comes with it... just part of the gig. All I am saying is if you are going to choose to do it, be sure to put enough effort into it to be at least respectable at it and know some basics.

It's one thing to miss a call cuz you didn't see it or decide it's too borderline and err on the side of no penalty.... can't disagree with that stuff... my beef is seeing it, and not ruling correctly cuz of ignorance to the rule... don't make me dredge up fenwick from last year, please!

hold on. have you ever reffed anything in your life?
it does not matter if you make the right call or not. you are always 50% correct. neither team agrees with the calls. that is why you are here asking about the calls.
go ref a peewee game and watch the hecklers there.

and fenwick game? refs made the call period. no replays, no after the facts come into play during the game. the problem with the fenwick game was the parents thought they could teach their kids that suing something solves all of your problems.
welcome to the real world...

hold on. have you ever reffed anything in your life?
it does not matter if you make the right call or not. you are always 50% correct. neither team agrees with the calls. that is why you are here asking about the calls.
go ref a peewee game and watch the hecklers there.

and fenwick game? refs made the call period. no replays, no after the facts come into play during the game. the problem with the fenwick game was the parents thought they could teach their kids that suing something solves all of your problems.
welcome to the real world...

You threw the validity of your entire post out the window once you addressed the fenwick game... "refs made the call period." It wasn't a judgement call. No replay needed... they saw the play correctly they just didn't know the rule... so sick and tired of hearing people come on here and complain about how terrible being a ref is.... well if you're still doing it the benefits obviously are outweighing the bad currently in your mind. Regarding being wrong 50% of the time.... maybe during the game u get grief from one or other every time but that's just gamesmanship by coaches and fans doing what fans do... what I'm worried about is when you really are wrong and don't know a rule... I said earlier that I can't blame a ref for missing a call cuz didn't see it or using judgement to not call ticky tack stuff... but lack of knowledge of rules and their application is whats unacceptable.

Last edited:
You threw the validity of your entire post out the window once you addressed the fenwick game... "refs made the call period." It wasn't a judgement call. No replay needed... they saw the play correctly they just didn't know the rule... maybe if the test to become a HS ref was an actual test and not an unproctored, take home, open book, take as long as you need to find the answer in the book test... they (and other officials) would know the rules better.... so sick and tired of hearing people come on here and complain about how terrible being a ref is.... well if you're still doing it the benefits obviously are outweighing the bad currently in your mind. Regarding being wrong 50% of the time.... maybe during the game u get grief from one or other every time but that's just gamesmanship by coaches and fans doing what fans do... what I'm worried about is when you really are wrong and don't know a rule... I said earlier that I can't blame a ref for missing a call cuz didn't see it or using judgement to not call ticky tack stuff... but lack of knowledge of rules and their application is whats unacceptable.

hahahah get bent out of shape quickly. you would not be able to ref anything. but, to my point. it is a high school game period. it is for nothing. parents make it about everything. my kids feelings, my kids career, etc. they want and need something to blame constantly. I get it, I was there. problem with that is you are not teaching your kids what the sport is there to teach them.
but, in a year or two once you have watched the games without kids involved your entire perspective changes. you can be more open minded. and when you see bad calls you still get upset but you don't lose your sh!t over it. well sometimes...hahah but you begin to deal with it better.

hahahah get bent out of shape quickly. you would not be able to ref anything. but, to my point. it is a high school game period. it is for nothing. parents make it about everything. my kids feelings, my kids career, etc. they want and need something to blame constantly. I get it, I was there. problem with that is you are not teaching your kids what the sport is there to teach them.
but, in a year or two once you have watched the games without kids involved your entire perspective changes. you can be more open minded. and when you see bad calls you still get upset but you don't lose your sh!t over it. well sometimes...hahah but you begin to deal with it better.

1. I went to fenwick game as independent observer. No connection to them.
2. Not from Illinois so no allegiances either way.
3. Officials are getting paid (don't care how much or how little) to get it right. To blow it off as just a high school game, it is for nothing as u put it, I pray you are not getting paid to officiate these games!

You threw the validity of your entire post out the window once you addressed the fenwick game... "refs made the call period." It wasn't a judgement call. No replay needed... they saw the play correctly they just didn't know the rule... so sick and tired of hearing people come on here and complain about how terrible being a ref is.... well if you're still doing it the benefits obviously are outweighing the bad currently in your mind. Regarding being wrong 50% of the time.... maybe during the game u get grief from one or other every time but that's just gamesmanship by coaches and fans doing what fans do... what I'm worried about is when you really are wrong and don't know a rule... I said earlier that I can't blame a ref for missing a call cuz didn't see it or using judgement to not call ticky tack stuff... but lack of knowledge of rules and their application is whats unacceptable.

How often do you think rules/enforcements are misapplied in a game? Excluding the obvious Fenwick situation which was unacceptable and the most glaring example.

1. I went to fenwick game as independent observer. No connection to them.
2. Not from Illinois so no allegiances either way.
3. Officials are getting paid (don't care how much or how little) to get it right. To blow it off as just a high school game, it is for nothing as u put it, I pray you are not getting paid to officiate these games!

whatever, they get it right 99.9% of the time. and not to harp on a beaten horse but. the coaching staffs of either team never knew what that rule was right or wrong. so no I do not buy it.
any good coach knows the rules. every good ref knows the rules. but, every once in awhile both get caught in between the determination of said rules. and once the call is made, its made good, bad, or indifferent. live with it. ya they get paid, but you get paid to be bagger in a grocery store and you put the shampoo with the eggs. do you get fired or yelled at, or sued. no, you go on with your day as if nothing was wrong. same thing. is not life or death. it is a game. when you are on the a table with your chest open and some guys hands are inside you that is when it matters. pray then.

Reactions: ref2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT