ADVERTISEMENT

New: Who Stood Out Boom Linemen Trench Warfare

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
The Boom Midwest Linemen Trench Warfare camp is a one off camp that features several kids from the Boom Linemen camp which draws several kids for weekly workouts and training along with kids who just come out to get some additional work who are not a part of the Boom/EFT run camps.

So who stood out? Again I came away with a pretty good feel on the linemen here.....this camp also had some younger up and coming names to watch which is always a plus from my perspective who I might not list here but these are names who will be added to my updates underclassmen prospect to watch list.

IMPORTANT: The only available roster listing was a handwritten coaches sheet of names and in many cases I will have misspellings etx. Please let me know if any names are incorrect etc, and I'll happily fix ASAP. I also have another 4-5 kids who I'm still trying to track down and once I get thew correct info I will add them to this story

Best overall position group? The offensive linemen group was easily the best overall position here. The defensive linemen had some promising names including a handful of two way linemen who took reps on both sides in one on ones. The lack of bigger inside defensive linemen was evident and the center/guards had very limited challenges here.

So Who Stood Out?

OL Nick Strelczyk St Rita 2023
- I've watched Nick already more than a handful of times this off season and he's a very solid overall linemen who seems to get better each time I see him. Strelczky already has college ready size and strength, looks to be getting into better overall shape this off season. Nick was also moving better here in particular than at times I've seen him in the past. Strelczyk still has work to do including improving on cutting off the speed rush more consistently along with just improving his overall pass pro technique and fundamentals. Overall I see Strelczky as a MAC level linemen at the college level and I'm encouraged at his continued improvement.

OL Brandon Hansen Mundelein 2024- Will be one of the more sought after OL names in the Class of 2024 in Illinois. Hansen already is college ready physically, has very good hands and much improved technique. Hansens initial punch might be one of the better one's I've seen in quite a while at the high school level, Hensen at times was able to stun opposing rushers with his punch. Hansen also has great strength and while his overall footwork and mobility is still a work in progress, but he is also already making marked progress. Hansen, like all high school OL will need to continue to improve upon his overall bend and flexibility but his upside is highly impressive. Hansen has a real chance at developing into a potential Power 5 name down the line in my opinion.

DE Laquan Battle Mount Carmel 2023- Unfortunately missed all of the fall 2021 season due to a summer injury, but Battle is back and looked pretty solid here. Battle has good size/quickness and also showed a nice mix of speed rush moves, good hands and technique and also has very good strength. Battle is still trying to get back to where he was before the summer injury from a strength standpoint, and once he gets back into top shape he has a really strong chance to seeing his overall recruiting stock rise this spring and summer. Battle also has the frame and body type to add more size and muscle over the next year plus.

DE Zach Gray Plainfield South 2023- Gray has good size and strength and looks like a name who could draw more recruiting looks this spring and summer. Gray still has work to do on his overall pass rush technique and pass rush moves, and in many ways he's still pretty raw compared to some more advanced defensive ends here. Yet Gray's physical tools, size, length and upside no doubt makes his a name to watch here.

DE Karl Schmalz Niles Notre Dame 2023- Karl I felt was the most consistent and hardest working defensive end at this event. Schmalz has good overall size, frame and length and will also continue to add more good weight and strength over the next year plus. Schmalz showed a non stop motor, took reps both inside and outside just to get work in and really worked hard and made the most of every rep here. A state ranked wrestler, Schmalz is listed at 6-foot-4, 235 pounds and no question has the frame to add much more weight/strength if needed. I loved Karl's effort and attitude here and I know college coaches will also appreciate his approach and mentality.

OL Danny Zarco Lyons Township 2024- I've seen Danny Zarco a few times live now and I just see a lot to like here in a still young and developing kid. Zarco has good size and really good length, is pretty technically sound who is also getting more confident and better with each rep. The missing key ingredient for me with Danny Zarco is a growth spurt. Zarco has the frame and build to carry much more weight and muscle, and is also a pretty quick and mobile linemen with even more room to grow and improve. I feel Zarco is a big summer growth spurt away from developing into a much more sought out name in the Class of 2024.

OL Jose Manning Simeon 2023- I'm a huge fan of Jose Manning on several levels. Manning is strictly an OC for the college level, and while he doesn't have ideal height and D1 level attributes his overall tools, fundamentals and motor are simply high level. Manning has really good mobility for carrying some extra weight, has very quick and active hands and shows good punch along with an advanced knowledge level of the offensive line position. Manning took a ton of reps, never backed down at all and even took some DT reps as well. Manning will be a multi-year starter for the Wolverines this fall and I'm expecting a big season from him. Manning is no question a strictly an interior OL and struggled a bit when trying to kick out and cut off the outside pass rusher....yet his $$$ will come inside at the college level. Love Manning's' attitude, swagger and mentality.

OL/DL Sean Goodrum Simeon 2024- Played both OL and DT and had a very strong overall day. Goodrum's home I feel will be on the defensive line and showed a ton in one on ones. Goodrum has impressive bend and leverage, stays low and also has a bagful of pass rush moves. Goodrum also uses his hands extremely well here and just seems to be able to shed opposing blocker pretty easily. Goodrum also has impressive strength and mix that in with really good feet, balance and an explosive first few steps...and Goodrum no question raised his profile and overall stock here.

OL Gabe Rosen Evanston 2023- Big man who is strictly on the offensive line at the next level. Rosen has great height, length, reach and strength and has no question continued to improve his overall game while also shedding more weight this off season. Rosen I feel will end up playing inside at the high college level. Rosen is pretty athletic for a big kid, can get out of his stance quickly and pull well. Rosen still is a bit of a work in progress when it comes to pass pro, especially when he's playing tackle where he at times struggles with the outside speed rusher. Yet his overall physical tools, work ethic, heart and personality will be hard for several college to take a pass on. Has the physical tools and potential to really develop into a higher level name, but lots of work still needs to happen.

OL Armand Voloder Lake Park 2024- Another good sized kid who was solid here. Voloder passes the all important eyeball test (6-foot-4. 270 pounds) and has the frame and look to be able to add more good weight and size. Voloder also has good quickness and seemed to get better the more reps he took here. Voloder is still a bit tight and will need to keep working on his overall bend and flexibility, but his overall game and potential will no question draw many more looks over the next year or so. Voloder's overall athleticism and speed was pretty impressive here as well.

More to follow

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News