ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Vernon....no!

They are now 3-3

They have Cahokia and Centralia at home the next two games, with the final game on the road against Mt. Carmel. Depends on how the Rams' players respond to the kick in the gut forfeiting these two games must feel like, especially after their win against Carbondale on the road last week gave them (temporarily) 5 wins. I see them perhaps being favored in only one of their final three games. Christmas came early for Triad and Althoff. What will they do with their present?

P.S. In the spirit of decency, I used "gut"!!

Last edited:
3-4 now.Heard kids quit after all that BS
Wow, that's too bad. I heard they were still in the hunt for the South Seven Conference championship even with the forfeit loses. In fact, there is an active thread (I forgot the title) as of today saying they still have an outside chance at the championship if they can beat Centralia this week. Other things have to happen, however.

Christmas came early for Triad and Althoff. What will they do with their present?
Triad made the best of it, Althoff gave it a go, but fell short. Their D played well, but just could not get the ball moving.

Now long retired, Sister Jan, who was a first-year pricipal when we had our two titles in Ancient Times, was the ticket taker at both the soccer and football games this weekend. She too was bemoaning the offense! I found that quite hilarious!

I'm dusting off this thread for an update. As indicated already, Mt. Vernon at one time was 5-1, which qualified them for this year's playoffs after a string of dismal seasons. Then along came the 2 games they had to forfeit, plus a heartbreaking OT loss to Cahokia in week 7, which put them at 3-4 and two remaining games against teams with winning records [Centralia and Mt. Carmel (currently at 7-0 and playing Woodstock Marian today)]. The Ram's pulse was weak and fading fast. But hold the stethoscope, doc! They defeated Centralia fairly handily (at least looking at the score, a 35-7 victory) last night and although they face a tough road trip next week at Mt. Carmel, they will get their 5th win should they prevail against the Aces. Comparing the two teams' schedules, Mt. Vernon has played the tougher schedule without a doubt, and they have played against teams with enrollments significantly higher than Mt. Carmel's 495.50. In addition, Mt. Carmel's opponents also are significantly smaller in enrollment than Mt. Vernon's. Even without the two forfeit wins for it's opponents, Mt. Vernon has 37 playoff points to Mt. Carmel's 26, not counting the outcome of the Aces' game with Woodstock Marian today.

I would not call it a miracle should the Rams get their 5th win next week, but a victory could shake things up in terms of where some team/teams end up class-wise come selection time. They do not figure in Steve Soucie's projections at the present time. A win Friday would change that and possibly the fate of one or more bubble teams. If the prospect of actually making the playoffs when many people were counting them down and out does not motivate them and their fans, then nothing will (except maybe a freight car full of Ben Franklins).

P.S. Earlier in this thread, IlliniEight4ever mentioned that he heard that" kids quit after all that BS" (I assume the matter with the forfeits). If that is the case, I guess a valuable life lesson is learned (Yogi told us all, people): "It ain't over 'till it's over" !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'm dusting off this thread for an update. As indicated already, Mt. Vernon at one time was 5-1, which qualified them for this year's playoffs after a string of dismal seasons. Then along came the 2 games they had to forfeit, plus a heartbreaking OT loss to Cahokia in week 7, which put them at 3-4 and two remaining games against teams with winning records [Centralia and Mt. Carmel (currently at 7-0 and playing Woodstock Marian today)]. The Ram's pulse was weak and fading fast. But hold the stethoscope, doc! They defeated Centralia fairly handily (at least looking at the score, a 35-7 victory) last night and although they face a tough road trip next week at Mt. Carmel, they will get their 5th win should they prevail against the Aces. Comparing the two teams' schedules, Mt. Vernon has played the tougher schedule without a doubt, and they have played against teams with enrollments significantly higher than Mt. Carmel's 495.50. In addition, Mt. Carmel's opponents also are significantly smaller in enrollment than Mt. Vernon's. Even without the two forfeit wins for it's opponents, Mt. Vernon has 37 playoff points to Mt. Carmel's 26, not counting the outcome of the Aces' game with Woodstock Marian today.

I would not call it a miracle should the Rams get their 5th win next week, but a victory could shake things up in terms of where some team/teams end up class-wise come selection time. They do not figure in Steve Soucie's projections at the present time. A win Friday would change that and possibly the fate of one or more bubble teams. If the prospect of actually making the playoffs when many people were counting them down and out does not motivate them and their fans, then nothing will (except maybe a freight car full of Ben Franklins).

P.S. Earlier in this thread, IlliniEight4ever mentioned that he heard that" kids quit after all that BS" (I assume the matter with the forfeits). If that is the case, I guess a valuable life lesson is learned (Yogi told us all, people): "It ain't over 'till it's over" !!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe the Rams will be the conference rep based on tie breaker of fewest points allowed. So I think they are already in even at 4-5.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I believe the Rams will be the conference rep based on tie breaker of fewest points allowed. So I think they are already in even at 4-5.
I find it interesting that the tie breaker you describe is stated for “three-way” ties. It doesn’t mention four-way ties.

Have you got a way to verify that? I understand what you are saying, but according to the information under the NOTES: on the IHSA South Seven Conference Standings page, I'm not sure exactly sure what they mean. They discuss opponents wins being used to break ties, but then go on to discuss how to determine the conference representative in case of a tie. If we go by opponents wins, Cahokia at present has 40, followed by Centralia and Mt. Vernon with 39, and then Marion with 33. As you obviously know, the conference record of these four teams is 3-2 for each team. Don't we still have to wait until all games are played and all opponents' wins are noted, and the fewest points allowed is determined? I'm confused, but I thought Cahokia has a leg up AT PRESENT on the conference championship by having the most opponents' wins. I will admit that I may be misunderstanding what the NOTES: section actually means!! Any help from anyone on this conference representative determination vis-a-vis the South Seven would be appreciated.

P.S. dcaudle - I do see where Mt. Vernon has the fewest points allowed among the 4 teams tied at 3-2 in the conference (all conference games are complete), but Steve Soucie said Cahokia improved their position with their win on Friday, but didn't say a thing about Mt. Vernon improving their position (they are now 4-4 like Cahokia after also winning last night).
Color me confused (not necessarily a new phenomenon with me)!!

My understanding is comes down to least points allowed, but only in games against the fellow conference champions. I'm not sure if Mt. Vernon's forfeit loss to Althoff counts as only 1 point allowed in that situation, but I think they are the champions if so.
The IHSA has all the results on their website, but still haven't listed who the berth goes to.

My understanding is comes down to least points allowed, but only in games against the fellow conference champions. I'm not sure if Mt. Vernon's forfeit loss to Althoff counts as only 1 point allowed in that situation, but I think they are the champions if so.
The IHSA has all the results on their website, but still haven't listed who the berth goes to.
Thanks. Good question regarding the forfeit loss points. I don't see how Althoff gets more than one point for that. And like you, I notice that the IHSA has not yet designated a conference rep for the South Seven. They have for other conferences which have met the requirements to be the representative, so the only thing I am sure of at this point is that Mt. Vernon should probably win this week if they wish to make the post-season.

I think they beat MTC anyway
I was sort of thinking the same thing, but it is on the road and I'm sure the Aces would like a 9-0 regular season record heading into the playoffs. However, as I wrote before, the Rams' schedule is considerably tougher and they are a 6-2 team without those two forfeit loses.

P.S. Mt. Carmel has a top notch streaming operation. Above average video quality and good announcers. I watched some of their Saturday game against Woodstock Marian Catholic, and their NFHS page says they are streaming their Friday night game against Mt. Vernon.

Last edited:
Reactions: doctor_d
I was sort of thinking the same thing, but it is on the road and I'm sure the Aces would like a 9-0 regular season record heading into the playoffs. However, as I wrote before, the Rams' schedule is considerably tougher and they are a 6-2 team without those two forfeit loses.

P.S. Mt. Carmel has a top notch streaming operation. Above average video quality and good announcers. I watched some of their Saturday game against Woodstock Marian Catholic, and their NFHS page says they are streaming their Friday night game against Mt. Vernon.
Yes, you will not get a better high school level NFHS broadcast than what the Aces guys do. Have done it for years. A little bit of homers but not to the annoying point :p

Thanks. Good question regarding the forfeit loss points. I don't see how Althoff gets more than one point for that. And like you, I notice that the IHSA has not yet designated a conference rep for the South Seven. They have for other conferences which have met the requirements to be the representative, so the only thing I am sure of at this point is that Mt. Vernon should probably win this week if they wish to make the post-season.
The IHSA has finally listed the playoff berth winner: Mt.Vernon. That's very good news for the Rams and very very bad news for Cahokia.

• Wow
Reactions: crusader_of_90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT