ADVERTISEMENT

MO Format - Kinda Cool

crusader_of_90

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2003
Sauget, IL
archviewsecurity.com

Teams slotted in classes preseason. Playoff points also have strength of schedule factor (INCLUDING YOUR OPPONENT'S SoS) for playing bigger classes. Top seed gets a bye in 1-5A - 6A has even numbers.
n
"ST. Mary's Coach Ken Turner credited his team getting a bye week last year with helping the Dragons on their way to the Class 3 state championship. This year St. Mary’s (6-2) moved into Class 4 but can still snag a week off, but it’s going to be tough. The Dragons are currently the top seed in the District 2 field with 51.9 points, but Summit (7-1) is right there with 50.9 points. Union (8-0) is third with 47.84 points.

St. Mary’s travels to Lutheran North (5-3), while Summit hosts Parkway West (5-3) on Friday night.

Aiding the Falcons is, win or lose, they will receive 10 bonus points for playing an opponent that’s one class larger than they are as Parkway West competes in Class 5. Aiding St. Mary’s should be Lutheran North’s strength of schedule, which ranks among the best in the area this season. Even if both teams win, the Falcons may be able to leap the Dragons.

This seems much more fun!

A similar situation could play out in the Class 3 District 3 tournament, where Lutheran North (5-3) is currently the top seed with 45.66 points followed by St. Charles West (6-2) with 44.98 and Lutheran St. Charles (5-3) with 41.45. Lutheran North faces a tough test in St. Mary’s, while St. Charles West draws Fort Zumwalt East (1-7). Should the Crusaders fall to the Dragons and St. Charles West jumps into the No. 1 seed, that would put Lutheran St. Charles in play to leap over Lutheran North due to its thrilling 20-18 head-to-head win last week. Lutheran St. Charles hosts Chaminade (3-5) and will receive 20 bonus points for playing an opponent two classes larger. Chaos is on the table for this trio.

The amount of bonus points seems off. Top team has almost 52 points, and you can get a 20 point bonus for playing larger school? That's more than a 1/3 of the seasons games worth of points. I'm picturing suburban 5a and 6a schools constantly calling Proviso West or Morton to play the "big" 8a schools.

The amount of bonus points seems off. Top team has almost 52 points, and you can get a 20 point bonus for playing larger school? That's more than a 1/3 of the seasons games worth of points. I'm picturing suburban 5a and 6a schools constantly calling Proviso West or Morton to play the "big" 8a schools.
I'm thinking the same - it can't be weighted as simply as that. There must be some calculus to this.

Reactions: Gene K.
On somewhat rare occasions I get disenchanted with Illinois' seeding system. For example, when I see the possibility of Simeon and East St. Louis meeting in the second round. [Hopefully that won't come to pass.] But for the most part I like Illinois' system. It is transparent, not biased toward traditional powers, and relatively easy to understand. Basically it is the won-lost record of each team with the total victories of opponents acting as the tie breaker. "Chaos", as described in your post, is not what I'm looking for in a seeding system.

Last edited:
I don't know how you would calculate SOS. Coaches won't watch tape on teams that aren't on their schedule so you'd need a committee to evaluate every team and no chance the IHSA pays for that.

I agree that while Illinois' system isn't perfect it is straight forward and transparent. There's no bias towards any teams like you can come across in other sports where coaches get together to rank teams prior to regionals.

Reactions: cigaros
On somewhat rare occasions I get disenchanted with Illinois' seeding system. For example, when I see the possibility of Simeon and East St. Louis meeting in the second round. [Hopefully that won't come to pass.] But for the most part I like Illinois' system. It is transparent, not biased toward traditional powers, and relatively easy to understand. Basically it is the won-lost record of each team with the total victories of opponents acting as the tie breaker. "Chaos", as described in your post, is not what I'm looking for in a seeding system.
ESL is getting that matchup b/c they have 2 losses. Part of their philosophy of playing these big teams from out of state results in getting a lower seed in the state tournament. Kinda the risk they took. I suspect THEY don't care tho.

ESL is getting that matchup b/c they have 2 losses. Part of their philosophy of playing these big teams from out of state results in getting a lower seed in the state tournament. Kinda the risk they took. I suspect THEY don't care tho.
STF is still the @2 team in the nation and Creekside plays a killer schedule and they have two losses, one to a top-SC team.

I think they are cool with playing SImeon.

STF is still the @2 team in the nation and Creekside plays a killer schedule and they have two losses, one to a top-SC team.

I think they are cool with playing SImeon.
I understand. I was thinking (and writing) from the perspective of the Simeon players and coaches. They appear to be the second-best team in 6A and should have the opportunity to play one or two more games before confronting the Flyers. [Play the Flyers in the semifinals or at least the quarterfinals.] As stated earlier, hopefully a second-round matchup will not occur.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT