ADVERTISEMENT

MC/SR

I think the pre game smack has obviously cooled but you’ll still get good in game and post game threads. And with both being in 7A, a potential rematch can happen in the playoffs, no one wants to toss all their pizzas too early. And I don’t even deliver pizzas anymore. I manage the drivers now, unless it gets too busy, then I’ll fire up the old cutlass.

The only one that can awaken the board for this excellent match up is if the one and only @feeto does the correct thing here in a couple of hours, and picks our puncher’s chance Mustangs against his beloved!

And this is Coach Martin Hopkins’ and Coach Jordan Lynch’s first meeting as coaches of their alma maters and they’ve been competing their whole lives vs each other on the grid iron. First as players at St. Cajetan and St. Christina as of course as players at St. Rita and Mount Carmel. Good luck to both young men tonight.

And this is Coach Martin Hopkins’ and Coach Jordan Lynch’s first meeting as coaches of their alma maters and they’ve been competing their whole lives vs each other on the grid iron. First as players at St. Cajetan and St. Christina as of course as players at St. Rita and Mount Carmel. Good luck to both young men tonight.
Two part question: Did their paths cross in college? and what’s the series record between the 2 so far? The winner( best answer) gets a much coveted(among the 2 fan bases) $25 gift certificate to Meir’s Tavern.

Two part question: Did their paths cross in college? and what’s the series record between the 2 so far? The winner( best answer) gets a much coveted(among the 2 fan bases) $25 gift certificate to Meir’s Tavern.
Not that $25 dents my tab at Meiers Tavern, but I’ll try to figure that out today

I think the pre game smack has obviously cooled but you’ll still get good in game and post game threads. And with both being in 7A, a potential rematch can happen in the playoffs, no one wants to toss all their pizzas too early. And I don’t even deliver pizzas anymore. I manage the drivers now, unless it gets too busy, then I’ll fire up the old cutlass.

The only one that can awaken the board for this excellent match up is if the one and only @feeto does the correct thing here in a couple of hours, and picks our puncher’s chance Mustangs against his beloved!
No chance. I love what Coach Hopkins has done so far, but I don't see them taking down our Caravan. Good luck to Martin and the boys tonight. Let's hope for a great game, and an MC victory.

No matter what the outcome tonight, we're all going to Meiers afterward and tearing up the town!!!!!!

Ok, here’s what I have:
Grade School:
Lynch 3 Hopkins 0

High School as players:
Hopkins 3 Lynch 1

College as players/coach/redshirt:
Hopkins 4 Lynch 1

Leaves us at Hopkins 7-5.

A couple disclaimers and shout outs:
Although the Cardinals (St. Christina) had the upper hand vs the Warriors (St. Cajetan) during those years, those Warrior teams produced some excellent Mustangs in Hopkins, Campagna, Ladd, Johnson, Hitz, Cummings.
Disclaimer to the shout out: Both schools have produced quality football players to both Saint Rita and Mount Carmel like Warriors to Caravan Schumacher, Letz, Sherlock
College disclaimer: I do not know exactly when Martin went from the active roster to the coaching staff and I do not know when Jordan red shirted (hence the 4 +1 = 5 record) but I do know in 2013 Jordan led the Huskies to a victory over the Hawkeyes at Soldier Field as he begun his Heisman campaign that year.

So if we take out the college because B1G vs MAC until Jordan turned the tables, the record stands at:

Lynch 4 Hopkins 3. So this one tonight is to knot the record to 4 and 4. Hit ‘em High, Hit ‘em Low. Go Rita Go.

Last edited:
Ok, here’s what I have:
Grade School:
Lynch 3 Hopkins 0

High School as players:
Hopkins 3 Lynch 1

Hopkins 4 Lynch 1

Although the Cardinals (St. Christina) had the upper hand vs the Warriors (St. Cajetan) during those years, those Warrior teams produced some excellent Mustangs in Hopkins, Campagna, Ladd, Johnson, Hitz, Cummings.
Disclaimer to the shout out: Both schools have produced quality football players to both Saint Rita and Mount Carmel like Warriors to Caravan Schumacher, Letz, Sherlock
College disclaimer: I do not know exactly when Martin went from the active roster to the coaching staff and I do not know when Jordan red shirted (hence the 4 +1 = 5 record) but I do know in 2013 Jordan led the Huskies to a victory over the Hawkeyes at Soldier Field as he begun his Heisman campaign that year.

So if we take out the college because B1G vs MAC until Jordan turned the tables, the record stands at:

Lynch 4 Hopkins 3. So this one tonight is to knot the record to 4 and 4. Hit ‘em High, Hit ‘em Low. Go Rita Go.
You got the grade school records thats darn impressive! Coach Lynch had his best friend and future Mustang star Dave Marcinano on his Christina team! They were a tough duo to stop!

You got the grade school records thats darn impressive! Coach Lynch had his best friend and future Mustang star Dave Marcinano on his Christina team! They were a tough duo to stop!
Well it’s good and bad that I got the grade school records because now I have my phone blowing up with thirtysomething years old Warriors and Cardinals fighting on the group text. I’m blocking them all😂

Edit: @eireog They all want a piece of my gift card

Ok, here’s what I have:
Grade School:
Lynch 3 Hopkins 0

High School as players:
Hopkins 3 Lynch 1

Hopkins 4 Lynch 1

Lynch 4 Hopkins 3. So this one tonight is to knot the record to 4 and 4. Hit ‘em High, Hit ‘em Low. Go Rita
Ok, here’s what I have:
Grade School:
Lynch 3 Hopkins 0

High School as players:
Hopkins 3 Lynch 1

Hopkins 4 Lynch 1

You forgot about the organized scrimmage between the Mt. Greenwood Colts and St. Cajetan when they were in 4th grade. I believe Jordan and Jeremy Rhodes led the Colts to a victory that Tuesday night.

Well it’s good and bad that I got the grade school records because now I have my phone blowing up with thirtysomething years old Warriors and Cardinals fighting on the group text. I’m blocking them all😂

Edit: @eireog They all want a piece of my gift card
I have a winner. @RockSoup gets a bonus too for fielding all the grammar school nuts. $100 on the oak the next time the Mustangs are up ravaging Wilmette. 100 should get us fairly loosened up.

My view on the game, I'm taking MC but I'm giving SR more than a punchers chance. If it's a punchers chance then its a Mike Tyson upper cut type of punch. MC has amazing talent and a statement win over ESL but there is glaring differences between this years team and last years. The Oline has 4 new starters, while Poholick is a transfer with numerous experience starting at LWW they are still geling. The Center has a large brace on his arm and is playing through an injury it seems. One guard is a Soph getting used to the speed of the game, the right tackle is about 5'11 180 pounds although he seems to be holding his own. Raqueef has been great at guard, but as a Soph he played tackle, Junior he was the center, now he is at guard, so 3 years/3 different positions. Last years line was outstanding and 4 of them were returning from 2021, they gelled immediately.

Another obvious difference is they definitely miss Furlong and Deacy at WR. Maurice Densmore has been great and Gardner and Markett have been fine but they don't have the same connection that Dowling, Furlong, Deacy had, and that came with those guys playing together for years and getting in synch. Furlong ran amazing routes, he was always open. Deacy caught everything that was thrown to him, I never saw him miss. Markett seems to have switched to defense mostly, Gardner isn't bad by any means but he's not Deacy, and Densmore has been a great addition, he has several TD's already but he's not Furlong, but he transferred into MC late and him and Elliott have worked hard together but they are all finding their groove still.

Dupree and turbo needs a huge game tonight. The running game has been fine but they haven't dominated yet. They need to do that tonight.

The defense has been great. They had trouble with the outside runs with ESL but most teams have trouble containing the speed of ESL. They have made some adjustments that seem to be OK. They had MP shut out for 3.5 quarters until MP scored late on short field and again on a long pass. Front 7 have been really strong and running is SR strength.

SR has a powerful RB that MC has had to deal with twice, especially in the semi last year. They have a new, tall receiver that can help them. I see this being a tight game. SR has only scored 1 TD vs MC in the last 3 games, I'm guessing that changes tonight, but MC wins at home 28-17.

My view on the game, I'm taking MC but I'm giving SR more than a punchers chance. If it's a punchers chance then its a Mike Tyson upper cut type of punch. MC has amazing talent and a statement win over ESL but there is glaring differences between this years team and last years. The Oline has 4 new starters, while Poholick is a transfer with numerous experience starting at LWW they are still geling. The Center has a large brace on his arm and is playing through an injury it seems. One guard is a Soph getting used to the speed of the game, the right tackle is about 5'11 180 pounds although he seems to be holding his own. Raqueef has been great at guard, but as a Soph he played tackle, Junior he was the center, now he is at guard, so 3 years/3 different positions. Last years line was outstanding and 4 of them were returning from 2021, they gelled immediately.

Another obvious difference is they definitely miss Furlong and Deacy at WR. Maurice Densmore has been great and Gardner and Markett have been fine but they don't have the same connection that Dowling, Furlong, Deacy had, and that came with those guys playing together for years and getting in synch. Furlong ran amazing routes, he was always open. Deacy caught everything that was thrown to him, I never saw him miss. Markett seems to have switched to defense mostly, Gardner isn't bad by any means but he's not Deacy, and Densmore has been a great addition, he has several TD's already but he's not Furlong, but he transferred into MC late and him and Elliott have worked hard together but they are all finding their groove still.

Dupree and turbo needs a huge game tonight. The running game has been fine but they haven't dominated yet. They need to do that tonight.

The defense has been great. They had trouble with the outside runs with ESL but most teams have trouble containing the speed of ESL. They have made some adjustments that seem to be OK. They had MP shut out for 3.5 quarters until MP scored late on short field and again on a long pass. Front 7 have been really strong and running is SR strength.

SR has a powerful RB that MC has had to deal with twice, especially in the semi last year. They have a new, tall receiver that can help them. I see this being a tight game. SR has only scored 1 TD vs MC in the last 3 games, I'm guessing that changes tonight, but MC wins at home 28-17.
Sandbagging aye?

From what I saw last week, the JC and SR defenses are the real deal. Both have issues offensively.

From what I saw of MC the first few weeks, they would have to play a pretty poor game for either of the JC/SR teams that played last week to keep up with them. I Rita can slow down the MC offense a bit, but MC will definitely score. Can SR score enough to keep the game close into the fourth? Can the Rita defense put a near goose egg on a powerful MC offense?

Because SR absolutely needs to either pitch a shutout (tall order) or have their offense play their lights out best game of the year. It could happen, but I like MC by 21 here. Hope I am wrong because if it closer than that, then that means I feel better about JC's chances the rest of the season and in 5A in November.

Reactions: rjjtwest
Maybe I'm wrong, but I recall more often than the math would suggest, that the "underdog" in this rivalry tends to over-perform. I would expect SR to really bring it given some tough losses in recent years and the new coach likely focusing on this game from day 1. Best of luck to both teams.

I would take Rita to cover and the under

Last edited:
SR has a powerful RB

Sandbagging aye?
No, we're saving the sandbags for when the levee breaks. Here's the deal. DJ has been touted as the greatest offensive weapon that the South Side has ever seen. Who am I to doubt the words of the immortal Winston Churchill, who encouraged the British to down four Dabs in the hour before battle?

Sandbagging aye?
From what I saw last week, the JC and SR defenses are the real deal. Both have issues offensively.

From what I saw of MC the first few weeks, they would have to play a pretty poor game for either of the JC/SR teams that played last week to keep up with them. I Rita can slow down the MC offense a bit, but MC will definitely score. Can SR score enough to keep the game close into the fourth? Can the Rita defense put a near goose egg on a powerful MC offense?

Because SR absolutely needs to either pitch a shutout (tall order) or have their offense play their lights out best game of the year. It could happen, but I like MC by 21 here. Hope I am wrong because if it closer than that, then that means I feel better about JC's chances the rest of the season and in 5A in November.
This is crazy. You have Johnson, Hrvartin, Ragusa and Rouse on that front 7. Do you understand how good that is at the HS level? Put it this way, I gave St. Rita a puncher’s chance vs Mount Carmel because they came back and beat Joliet Catholic on the road. I am glad St. Rita got to face an incredible front 7 because obviously Mount Carmel has an excellent front 7 and the comeback made me say cool, the St. Rita OL (the biggest question mark coming into the year for St. Rita) didn’t dominate but held their own or at least survived against one of the best front 7s in the state and will face another one tonight.

Edit: The crazy part is that we watched the same game last week and I felt better about St. Rita going forward and you watched it and said basically, St. Rita is so unimpressive that the only way they can win is if Mount Carmel plays poorly not that St. Rita is good enough to make Mount Carmel play poorly for a night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wittymoniker1
Love the analysis and comments here--very insightful, indeed.

In the end, as we all know, MC is the double-digit favorite.

Along those lines: Rita can keep this close, imo.

MC 28, SR 20 or MC 27, SR 17.

Prove me wrong Underdog Cascia!

No injuries and let's do this!

MS4EVER: you're a good man.

So the real question is do the prime pizza joints shut down because no delivery drivers?

Remember when @MS4EVER sat and had breakfast with Coach Kuska and MS4 goes all Toddin’ on me, big timing me. I’ll have to set up a Coffee and donut meet and greet with Coach Hopkins and our biggest supporter in the near northern suburbs sometime in the future
Yes! Get him in there! If Redhawk plays on TR night, we need MS4EVER to be on Cascia's sidelines the next damn night!

This is crazy. You have Johnson, Hrvartin, Ragusa and Rouse on that front 7. Do you understand how good that is at the HS level? Put it this way, I gave St. Rita a puncher’s chance vs Mount Carmel because they came back and beat Joliet Catholic on the road. I am glad St. Rita got to face an incredible front 7 because obviously Mount Carmel has an excellent front 7 and the comeback made me say cool, the St. Rita OL (the biggest question mark coming into the year for St. Rita) didn’t dominate but held their own or at least survived against one of the best front 7s in the state and will face another one tonight.

Edit: The crazy part is that we watched the same game last week and I felt better about St. Rita going forward and you watched it and said basically, St. Rita is so unimpressive that the only way they can win is if Mount Carmel plays poorly not that St. Rita is good enough to make Mount Carmel play poorly for a night.
I just walked away thinking both teams were good, particularly on defense. But both teams are far from elite overall with some offensive shortcomings. I think overall I thought the defense was good across the board, but there was an equal amount of offenses not clicking, which I get is a chicken and egg thing.

Don't think either team would hang with the best 5 teams in the state yet and I think MC is one of those 5. Both defenses are good enough to keep them in a game with anyone, but would need them to have peak games on defense plus exceed all expectations on offense. Possible, but a tall order for sure.

Reactions: RockSoup
I just walked away thinking both teams were good, particularly on defense. But both teams are far from elite overall with some offensive shortcomings. I think overall I thought the defense was good across the board, but there was an equal amount of offenses not clicking, which I get is a chicken and egg thing.

Don't think either team would hang with the best 5 teams in the state yet and I think MC is one of those 5. Both defenses are good enough to keep them in a game with anyone, but would need them to have peak games on defense plus exceed all expectations on offense. Possible, but a tall order for sure.
I think that's a very fair assessment. Time will tell for sure. I do think if Rita can sustain a consistent passing attack, she can very well compete with the upper echelon.

QB has a good arm and great potential for that downfield type of passing with good WRs. If a threat, then this would obviously open up the running game, which is a very good one for Rita.

Just to add to my first point above. I do agree with RockSoup's assessment of JCA front seven on defense. I think they can compete with anyone. Is ESL's O-line that dominant where they'll being pushing JCA's front seven? PC has a very good O-line, and we know what happened against your Hilltopper.

Remember when @MS4EVER sat and had breakfast with Coach Kuska and MS4 goes all Toddin’ on me, big timing me. I’ll have to set up a Coffee and donut meet and greet with Coach Hopkins and our biggest supporter in the near northern suburbs sometime in the future
Name the day and I’ll be there!!

• Love
Reactions: RockSoup
Another fantastic night of CCL Blue football between 2 of the greatest Southside Catholic High School Institutions around. Both fan bases were out in full force in Woodlawn last night, which also featured MC’s version of grammar school night. Young prospective students running wild with shirts off tossing footballs dreaming of the days they’ll be playing under the Friday Night lights. The atmosphere could not have been more electric especially following the events of the previous week. Hats off to Brendan Conroy and the MC Staff, The Fathers Club along the MC security detail for providing what is always a safe great venue for Families across the city. It was on full display last night so Thank you. Also a big shout out to the St. Rita community for helping MC tell the entire City of Chicago that nothing will drive us away from our beloved institutions!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT