ADVERTISEMENT

Let's get it started!

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
Who are the front runners! I am pretty sure JC is set up for another run.

I am starting to wonder if JC is more a baseball school....well, two seconds in three years is not bad...but I do think our baseball history compares well to every IL school. Am I wrong.

Hillmen are loaded this year. Lower levels are also very strong, freshman class could be best of the bunch.

Using your criteria ...

you would have to say it's a girls volleyball school!

I still remember that beating that Chatam Glenwood laid on them 2 seasons ago....wow!

Before you mention freshmen classes, don't forget about the Bartlett freshmen class on the FB board a few years ago!

Re: Using your criteria ...

Not making any predictions, just stating there is a lot of talent in the school right now.

JCA is always loaded with baseball talent.

As far as the best program, recently yes.
Providence, Lockport, Oak Park, Lyons Twp. and Edwardsville are have long, rich baseball traditions.

The volley ball thing is remarkable. I think it is great for the school community too.

The thing about football, and i know this is not the football board, is it's funny, 2 second places in three years and we are down...

Originally posted by Bag Phone:

Providence, Lockport, Oak Park, Lyons Twp. and Edwardsville are have long, rich baseball traditions.
How would you define recently? JC has been one of the top programs in the state for the last 30 years.
This post was edited on 1/18 10:24 PM by USD24

The switch from 2 classes has really helped the JCA program in terms of potential state trophies. They should be in the hunt to get to the final four every year with the talent they have and the tour of the southeast suburbs and city schools that they see in sectional play.

I completely agree. Anything less than playing in final four should be considered a disappointment. However, the Hillmen were pretty successfull in the 2 class system in what was often the toughest sectional in the state. JC had 7 trips downstate from 1980-2004 with one first and 3 second place finishes. It should be noted that during this period Edwardsville is the only school to win more than one state championship (2) in AA. There are few, if any, schools who enjoyed the same amount of success as JCA during that period.

Lockport had great success during that same time.
Yes Lockport has been successful during that time. But if you compare the programs, JC has had more success. During the two class system Lockport went downstate 5 times(84,92,97,98,05) and won 3 trophies (1 1st, 1 second and 1 third). They have not gone downstate since the switch to 4 classes. During the two class system JC went downstate 8 times (77,80,81,88,90,94,00,04) and won 4 trophies (1 first and 3 seconds) During the two class system, JC and Lockport were almost always in the same regional/sectional. JC has also gone down state 3 times in the four years of the 4 class tourney.

Regional Championships

Regional Championships since 1990

Lockport-90, 92, 96, 97, 98, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05=AA 07, 08, 09=AAAA

JCA-90, 91, 94, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05=AA 08, 09, 10, 11=AAA

According to IHSA.org

Re: Regional Championships

With the addition of Kozial, PC should be preseason #1. I've heard they have 8 or 9 kids committed to D-1 schools.

I know PC has a lot of d1 kids, but I thought last year was supposed to be thier year. I thought the majority of the starters were seniors last year. Dont know if there is a lot of experience.

South Side - Don't forget SR/MC - others to watch

Both will be very good, edge to MC, coming off a 4th place finish in 4A.

No doubt, the Sectional does not compare to most.

CCL Blue will be very good with PC, MC, SR, STL, and Loyola (Brother Rice will be awful. MC will mash the ball, even with these new BBCOR bats.

Lincoln-Way North (summer state champ) and Marian Catholic (summer final 4) return everyone.

Others - Sandburg, Oak Forest, Richards,and Oak Lawn.

Looking forward to seeing that new Marist field.

Re: South Side - Don't forget SR/MC - others to watch

Didnt MC have a bunch of Sophomores starting last year? I remember them being very young.

Don't forget - you get Ed Koziol as well. Congrats

Originally posted by pc13:
With the addition of Kozial, PC should be preseason #1. I've heard they have 8 or 9 kids committed to D-1 schools.

PC graduated a ton of talent. No way will they be ranked number 1. Last years team was loaded with senior starters.

I am sure Providence is thrilled to be included on your list. You know, considering that before last season they went 28 (twenty-eight!!!) years in a row with ZERO final four appearances in baseball.

St Rita is ranked 20th nationally by Baseball America. Only team in Chicago area to be ranked

It helps that 3A is a joke in the south suburbs . It will always be JCA, Oak Forest, Lemont in the sectional because of city schools.

Originally posted by USD24:
St Rita is ranked 20th nationally by Baseball America. Only team in Chicago area to be ranked
That was before two of the six kids already commited got hurt away from the school team with travel teams and specialized off season workouts. Last years best pitcher 12-1 is out for 2 months at best. At worst he has to have the Tommy John procedure. The SR coach was on the Coaches Corner two weeks ago and broke the bad news.
This post was edited on 3/18 10:46 AM by tomloner

Originally posted by SUNDOWN:
Originally posted by pc13:

PC graduated a ton of talent. No way will they be ranked number 1. Last years team was loaded with senior starters.

I am replying to my own post to admit I was wrong. I see the Sun-Times has PC ranked number one in their preseason poll. Apparently losing the ton of talent that they did was still not reason enough to not rank them number one. Of course, we have to wait and see how the season plays out. Very interesting.
This post was edited on 3/20 10:57 PM by SUNDOWN

Originally posted by shakey34:
It helps that 3A is a joke in the south suburbs . It will always be JCA, Oak Forest, Lemont in the sectional because of city schools.

You want to see a joke, check out Naz's 3A sectional. ND has a ton of arms this year and for some reason they dropped to 3A (don't ask, they don't fit the multiplier waiver for baseball) which should lead to a Naz-ND superectional.

Originally posted by goomsback:
Originally posted by shakey34:

You want to see a joke, check out Naz's 3A sectional. ND has a ton of arms this year and for some reason they dropped to 3A (don't ask, they don't fit the multiplier waiver for baseball) which should lead to a Naz-ND superectional.

Actually, Notre Dame does fit the multiplier waiver for baseball. They have not won 2 regionals in the last 6 years, so they do get the waiver. The Notre Dame enrollment is listed at 1646 (823 boys times 2), and the 3A field in baseball goes up to 1729.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT