ADVERTISEMENT

Interstate 8 Week One Thoughts

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Week one has come and gone. Overall the conference was 7-3 and with the exception of Wilmo and Manteno everyone else is playing at least one non-conference game. Some of the teams scheduled some real duds for those games. but it's always nice to see some new competition and mix it up a little bit. I look forward to next year when Wilmington plays some new teams. I'd be willing to bet they won't be chasing the wins as hard as some of their conference foes.

I was at CC for their first ever matchup with rival Morris and it was a pretty decent game. CC can pass well and their defense is tough but they have their hands full the next few weeks. If CC ends up going 5-4 at least they should get enough playoff points to still make the playoffs. Morris looked good but not as good as last year. If they are in 4a should make noise again, but 4a seems really tough this year. The crowd at the game was kinda weak. Maybe it was the weather, but there was almost as much Maroon and gold as there was green and gold.

This Friday I'd like to do a I-8 Preview but that depends on how busy I am this week.

Winners of the week

Wilmo- Avenged last years loss to Manteno. Their ground game is looking stout as always and should go deep in the playoffs again.

Losers of the week

Nobody! Mostly everyone won and those that did lose lost to quality opponents. Next week will tell a lot more.

Reactions: mc140 and doctor_d
I agree no real losers from week 1. Sandwich surprised me. Expected them to beat Ottawa but putting up 41 is impressive.

I think on the whole the conference is pretty average. I can see 5 or 6 playoff teams but I don't know if any can make a run to Champaign.

CC had some timely mistakes that cost them, field position in the 1st quarter hurt the Coalers. Morris controlled the line on both sides of the ball which makes it hard to win. Hopefully they correct their mistakes since we travel to Wilmington this Friday. I watched the Wilmington/Manteno film. Manteno looked kind of sloppy, I think they will get better as the season progresses. Wilmington has a really good backfield, Dempsey is a stud. But their defense doesn't look quite as good as in the past. Lisle is my dark horse to give Wilmo a run for their money in the Small.

CC/Wilmington game should be interesting, and I see more than 5 wins on the Coaler schedule

Reactions: Gene K.
I agree no real losers from week 1. Sandwich surprised me. Expected them to beat Ottawa but putting up 41 is impressive.

I think on the whole the conference is pretty average. I can see 5 or 6 playoff teams but I don't know if any can make a run to Champaign.

CC had some timely mistakes that cost them, field position in the 1st quarter hurt the Coalers. Morris controlled the line on both sides of the ball which makes it hard to win. Hopefully they correct their mistakes since we travel to Wilmington this Friday. I watched the Wilmington/Manteno film. Manteno looked kind of sloppy, I think they will get better as the season progresses. Wilmington has a really good backfield, Dempsey is a stud. But their defense doesn't look quite as good as in the past. Lisle is my dark horse to give Wilmo a run for their money in the Small.

CC/Wilmington game should be interesting, and I see more than 5 wins on the Coaler schedule

I think they will have more than 5 too. But to say they only get 5 wins isn't totally crazy either. They probably have the toughest schedule in the I8.

Scheduling Morris made it tough but something that will help us out in the long run, interested to see how CC bounces back this weekend.

I was surprised to see Plano drop their game to Aurora Central Catholic (ACC). Been told ACC looks better this year than last, but that's not saying much. What is the season forecast on Plano? Are they a decent squad? Are they a playoff caliber squad?

Trying to size up ACC in advance of the week 3 match-up vs. Aurora Christian.

Early returns are that the league is pretty solid. Maybe no really great teams, but come playoff time that could change. Wilmington probably has the best chance at a deep run by virtue of being 3A, but after a big week 2 game with CC, the Cats should get further tested by Lisle, Herscher and Peotone within the Small Division.

Herscher could make noise especially if they slip into 3a south. I would bet that's not very likely but who knows. I'm guessing Wilmo, Herscher, Coal City, Manteno, and either Lisle or Peotone making the playoffs.

The small division will get two or more teams to the playoffs, which was always in question in the past.

I attended Wilmington at Manteno Friday night. Watching the soph game, I was surprised by the Panthers seeming lack of talent...and when the varsity came out, I understood why: not only do they have six sophs on the varsity roster, they are actually relying on them...one of the slot receivers would have been the stud soph receiver, and the left tackle was the second best varsity lineman...Sloppy play on varsity, maybe, but it had a lot to do with playing a lot of youth...

I watched from the visitors side...During warmups, I discovered the Panthers had lined up the Gesky boys, soph LT & jr LG, on the same side of the ball. Their Dad played at Nebraska. I suggested to the Cat supporters around me that the Panthers were probably going to go left behind them a lot...and was right on the mark. Somebody who watched film might disagree, but the left side of the Panther line sure seemed way better than the right...Most of the running plays went left, and it appears that the Panthers will actually have a running game this year...

Warren seems to be much better throwing passes to crossing receivers than going downfield...When the line gave him enough time to throw deeper crosses, they put up a number of nice 30 yard pass plays...I've felt that Manteno was the measure of the Wildcat pass defense for a few years now...and the Cat defense passed the test. They succeeded because of the pass rush, however, rather than the coverage...Lopez, the returning receiver, is a stud...great wheels, good hands...

I'm accustomed to these games starting out with Manteno dominating the first couple possessions, and then Wilmo wearing them out...Both teams imploded first possession...Manteno, helped considerably by a Wildcat penalty giving them a first down on 3rd & forever, scored on their second possession to lead 7-0 after one...Wildcats scored early in the second quarter after basically shoving the ball down the Panther's throats...Forced a punt, another drive basically ramming the ball down their throats...Then Dempsay picks off a pass which bounced off the Panther's receivers hands and returns it for a TD...

Ramming ball down throat? Usually lots of tackles are made by linebackers & the secondary against the Wildcats....yet the Gesky boys from RDT & LDE made a huge number of tackles in the game...from the side, so the Cats wings kept falling forward for 5+ yards...As a result, I'm not as concerned as usual that the Panthers will just get run over, while the Wildcat line looked like a usual reload and perform...That said, the Panthers never stopped the Cats - the Cats stopped themselves a couple of times with poor ball-handling and penalties, but the defense never got them. They had only a couple of short runs...looked like a well lubricated mid- to late season team already. Usually when they have only one all-state back there is no balance, but the other backs seemed just as successful as Dempsay...

Wildcats placekicking needs some blocking help...three xp were badly blocked, maybe smothered would be a better term...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT