ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting from this week's Midwest Recruiting Roundup

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois

Greg Smith our Midwest guy mentions Carmel Catholic 2027 QB Trae Taylor as on of the recruits in the spotlight this fall. Taylor in case you haven't followed has added Power 4 offers from across the country and is easily one of the most offered names in the 2027 class. Yet Taylor has yet to play a full varsity game until this coming fall. Again maybe it's the old man in me but this has been and will continue to be a big issue for me.....and that is "projecting" and evaluating someone based strictly off camps and various other events without seeing good ole varsity action. Trae is a terrific young man, looks fantastic at variious camps and is truly fundamentally sound from a mechanics standpoint.....but it still bugs me a bit. Here is hoping he tears it up right out of the gates this fall....but alot of people will be watching him closely and ther last thing I ever want to do is put too much pressure on a kid this young if avoidable....

Greg Smith our Midwest guy mentions Carmel Catholic 2027 QB Trae Taylor as on of the recruits in the spotlight this fall. Taylor in case you haven't followed has added Power 4 offers from across the country and is easily one of the most offered names in the 2027 class. Yet Taylor has yet to play a full varsity game until this coming fall. Again maybe it's the old man in me but this has been and will continue to be a big issue for me.....and that is "projecting" and evaluating someone based strictly off camps and various other events without seeing good ole varsity action. Trae is a terrific young man, looks fantastic at variious camps and is truly fundamentally sound from a mechanics standpoint.....but it still bugs me a bit. Here is hoping he tears it up right out of the gates this fall....but alot of people will be watching him closely and ther last thing I ever want to do is put too much pressure on a kid this young if avoidable....
I hear ya, but for what it’s worth you can watch a kid play at the sophomore level and you can tell if the kid has it. Sure there are late bloomers and also kids that max out in high school but certain kids you can tell if they really have it. Enough for schools to say they want them.

Just to add a note to what is described in the article as his monster camp season, I had a chance to see him at the Chicago Bears 7 on 7 last month and everyone I talked to afterwards couldn't believe that he was only a sophomore. He looked really good. I know it doesn't always translate once the pads are on, but in my mind I think he is going to be a special talent these next few years for Carmel based on what I saw that day.

Reactions: Gene K. and EdgyTim
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT