ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA bylaw proposals

Well there seems to be multiple proposals dealing with transfers. It looks like people are sick of the predatory tactics Phillips High School uses in raiding other programs and the CPS policy of stocking three or four basketball teams a year. The proposal from Rockford Lutheran Executive Director Don Gillingham seems like a no brainer too:

“”The proposal from Private schools asks for simple fairness. Teachers, coaches and administrators, mostly, went into education to walk with kids as they grow. Equal opportunity should be the standard in all that we do. How can it be fair to have a coop team with four public schools of nearly 2,000 and not allow two private schools that are both under 200 to provide the same opportunity for their athletes
.”“

Well there seems to be multiple proposals dealing with transfers. It looks like people are sick of the predatory tactics Phillips High School uses in raiding other programs and the CPS policy of stocking three or four basketball teams a year. The proposal from Rockford Lutheran Executive Director Don Gillingham seems like a no brainer too:

“”The proposal from Private schools asks for simple fairness. Teachers, coaches and administrators, mostly, went into education to walk with kids as they grow. Equal opportunity should be the standard in all that we do. How can it be fair to have a coop team with four public schools of nearly 2,000 and not allow two private schools that are both under 200 to provide the same opportunity for their athletes
.”“
Phillips is the Jackie Robinson West of IHSA Football

“”The proposal from Private schools asks for simple fairness. Teachers, coaches and administrators, mostly, went into education to walk with kids as they grow. Equal opportunity should be the standard in all that we do. How can it be fair to have a coop team with four public schools of nearly 2,000 and not allow two private schools that are both under 200 to provide the same opportunity for their athletes.”“

I agree with the proposal, but what Public schools is he talking about that coop to combine for 2000 students? And in what sport?

Reactions: SOUTHSIDECFD

.”“

As I read the IHSA bylaws, it looks like the IHSA prohibits private schools with non-multiplied enrollments of
more than 200 to form coop teams. There are several private school coops from private schools of 200 or less. Here is the wording from the bylaws: "Only private schools with non multiplied enrollments of 200 or less are eligible to form cooperative teams."

Makes me wonder if the proposal is worded incorrectly.

Any way you look at it, it is yet another example of IHSA discrimination against private schools.

I agree with the proposal, but what Public schools is he talking about that coop to combine for 2000 students? And in what sport?

I would like to know that too. And if you can find me 4 CPS schools other than Charter Schools that can co-op together and not kill each other I'd like to know who they are.

Prairie Ridge, Cary Grove, CLS, CLC all Coop for Gymnastics. So does District 230 I believe.

Prairie Ridge, Cary Grove, CLS, CLC all Coop for Gymnastics. So does District 230 I believe.
Boy if I post what I'm thinking I'll be thrown off this blog by the end of the day....

Those kids put in how many hours a week? That's dedication. Different kind of talent than I ever had.

I agree it doesn't make sense. Your smaller populated sports like Gymnastics, swimming, etc... If it's a 2 class system in those sports and 4 small private schools want to coop for it so they can give their kids the same opportunity to compete in that sport... most likely that coop will be in the larger class so what's the big deal?

Perspectives in Chicago is 3 campuses combined for football only, no issue with that. I'd argue all the Urban Preps should combine also.too many football programs in Chicago...maybe Rockford is talking about small towns who co- op.

Coops, in m view, are of three types. First, there are the expensive "individual" team sports, like swimming & gymnastics, where there is only one class. If every school district in the Kankakee area wants to coop with Bradley-Bourbonnais for gymnastics (BB has the only program in the area), who cares. If McNamara wants to coop, who cares. If the two non-IHSA private schools (Trinity & Grace) want to coop, who cares. The only potential people being hurt are BB students who might get cut, while the team presumably will be better...If the Lincoln Ways coop for gymnastics, so what? If Joliet Central & West coop, so what?

Second, there are the small districts which may eventually consolidate. The slow death of rural public school districts is very painful for the community. Cooping sports is a bridge to the consolidation...Lots of these towns only play one sport a season - football, basketball, track or baseball; volleyball, hoops, track or softball. Cooping football & track probably is the first step...And instead of dropping the teams, they probably get better.

Third, team coops are more difficult. If school one plays football, and school two has never played football, and school two wants to coop for a couple of years to kick off its own program, okay. You can see the purpose of the coop, but team dynastics will be difficult. But what if McNamara is approached by Grace & Trinity to do a football coop? Standing alone, Grace or Trinity will never be able to support the sport. But Mac then is looking at going back to 5A...What about track (Grace & Trinity only play baseball/softball in spring)....A coop would make more sense than interpreting transfer rules...

The other team issue is a school like Beecher...doubled in size in 20 years, now 370 kids give or take. They did some coops for a while, but nobody wants to get pushed up a class - so now the only coop is wrestling with Grant Park. Next likely sport? Football. But they have no facilities (no track or stadium, likely no appropriate locker room). What if the Bobcats cooped with Mac for football, and Mac lost the multiplier (so they would be a solid 4A)?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT