ADVERTISEMENT

ICE Preseason Predictions

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
This probably could have been pushed in with my OOC game. thread but I have nothing better to do today and I feel like we can discuss more in depth how we all think the ICE season will play out. This year I feel like the ICE will have a little more parity in the middle-bottom tier teams. It's hard to predict exactly who will win which week in many of them, but I think that it after the top 3 its kind of wide open.

Top Tier

1) Wilmington (9-0) - You heard it here I typically don't like to hype the hometown up to such high expectations, but a defending conference and state championship team that returns a decent amount of their talent has to be the favorite. The biggest question they will face is will they fall into 2 or 3A. Good chronological mix of opponent toughness throughout the year. Biggest conference game Week 7 when the Coalers travel to hear the rumble of the Harley's.

Second Tier

2) Coal City (7-2) - Should only drop games to Morris and Wilmo. They have plenty of time to prepare for Peotone in week 5 and that is their biggest conference game IMO just because it's really the only other team besides Wilmo with a shot to beat them. 7-2 or 6-3 makes a huge difference in a 4A bracket. Then two weeks later they will be playing for the ICE championship against Wilmo. Which is also a huge game, but I honestly think the Peotone game is more pivotal. If they beat the 'Tone then momentum will be high when they travel to Reents field.

3) Peotone (7-2) - Two very winnable OOC games and week 3 should be another prep week for Wilmington. However CC in week 5 (also the devils biggest ICE game) will more than likely put them at 3-2 and then it's up to them to keep their heads up and coast through the rest of the regular season. I do think they are the most likely of the top three ICE teams to slip somewhere, however I still think Coach Tolly will have them in prime shape to win a playoff game or two with their high seed due to a solid regular season performance.

Middle/Bottom Tier
I think this could be one of the toughest years in recent history to predict who the bottom will be. Lisle slipped last year and maybe it is an indicator of where the program is headed. Was RC plagued by injuries or are they once again a non-contender? Streator has a new coach, how will that work for them? I am typically very adamant about not just scheduling a horrible OOC slate to get the easy wins, but I honestly think that if any of these teams goes 2-0 in OOC it is possible that they could make playoffs with how wide open the middle to bottom of the ICE is

4) Manteno (4-5) - Their two OOC games will get them battle tested, however the problem with them (losing) those two games is that they have loses on the ICE schedule against Wilmo, CC, and Tone. I am going to assume that they have enough to beat the remaining ICE competition. This is an odd spot because I am not sure if any (or how many), 4 win teams will get into the playoffs. However they will only lose to three ICE teams and finish 4th. Biggest ICE game Route 50 Rumble in week 6 at Manteno. I think that is their playoff clinching game right there if they can win it.

5) Reed-Custer (5-4) - I will give the Vomets the benefit of the doubt (like you all should that I "accidentally" hit the V key instead of the C) and predict that they win week 1. After that, all they have to do the rest of the season is win against the the 3 ICE teams below them and they will make the playoffs. The last three weeks of the season will all be must win to guarantee a play off birth. I do think that RC still has the buzz from a few years ago and even though they may not have as much talent as that awesome class, they have the culture to be consistently in the middle, however if they do not make the playoffs this year, I think that will be a better indicator of the true colors of the program and I think it will be back to the bottom for them. Biggest ICE game home against Manteno week 7. A win here could potentially get them to six wins or it means if they slip against another team the should beat they still get their 5.

6) Streator (3-6) - OOC is the season deciding factor here. They could be 3-6 or 5-4 depending on how those games play out. I do think their program is trending up and should get 2 wins in the ICE. Week 8 with Braidwood at home. This could potentially get them to 4 wins or 5 depending how Ottawa is.

7) Lisle (2-7) - A week one win may be their last until they play Herscher in week 7. I was always so high on Lisle to be a dark horse especially when teams traveled to Benedictine, but with more teams in the ICE playing on turf more often, I feel like their home field advantage has been a bit negated. I could be completely wrong and the Lions end up with a few more ICE wins, however I think the other programs are trending up and Lisle sadly is starting a downward dip. Biggest ICE game is at home week 5 against Manteno. If they win this I honestly think it turns them around and my initial prediction is way off. A win week 5 could set them up for a 5-4 playoff season. However they have 3 tough games weeks 2,3, and 4. If injuries run rampant in Lisle it will be a long season.

8) Herscher (0-9) - I am not counting the Tigers out completely, but I have to make a prediction somehow. I do think they could swing this into a 3-6 at best. I think they will have a punchers chance in several of their ICE games, but in the end I just don't think they have what it takes. Biggest ICE game is week 4 at Reed-Custer. If they can win this I think it will prove that they can sneak away wins against a few of the other ICE teams. If they lose it then I think they are doomed for a winless season.

These are just my thoughts. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. I don't talk to as many people as I used to so I am a little out of the ICE world as far as offseason goes.

Biggest questions -

Will 4 wins get a team into playoffs, and which 4 win teams will get in? Right now I see 3 guaranteed in and 2 fringe (RC, Manteno)
Will the purple cats be in 2 or 3A?
Will RC actually beat the teams I have picked below them in the ICE (or Manteno)?

1. Wilmington - two very tough OOC games with Hope and Sandwich. Not sure people are giving Hope enough credit, they were feet away from beating Le-Win last year. Those playoff points from hope and Sandwich will pay off and help with seeding come November. Ceiling 9-0, Floor 7-2

2. Peotone - can the Blue Devils knock off their nemesis Coal City will be the difference between a home or away playoff game in the first round. Ceiling 8-1, floor 6-3.

3. Coal City - perennial playoff team but last season seemed to be a bit of a struggle offensively but everybody in Illinois knows how tough the Coalers D is. Expect them to go 1-1 OOC amd drop a couple of Conference games. Ceiling 7-2, floor 5-4.

4. Manteno - a friend of mine who just moved to Manteno said expectations are pretty high for the Panthers. Some new faces on the team and return most starters from last season. A upset of Peotone and Coal City could put them back near the top of the conference. Ceiling 7-2, Floor 4-5

5. Reed-Custer - the Comets fell back to reality last season but can take a step forward this season. Very winnable non-con games and beat the lower tier teams in the ICE, they could be playing in November. Ceiling 6-3, Floor 4-5.

6. Lisle - seems last season was really tough for the Lions and that happens from time to time in small schools. No double they should split non-con and win a few in the ICE but probably fall short in wins for the playoffs. Ceiling 5-4, Floor 3-6

7. Streator - a new coach from down south and I would expect a power run scheme rather than the spread. That is a tough transition to pull off in 1 season and expect success. Ceiling 4-5, Floor 2-7

8. Herscher - not expecting much out of the Tigers. Very poor performances the past few years but hopefully they improve from last season. Ceiling 3-6, Floor 0-9.

As for Central Illinois teams of interest who ICE may matchup with in the Playoffs...
Tolono Unity is expected to win the Illini Prairie but BCC may have something to say about that. Also, PBL is a team to keep an eye on. Very explosive on offense.

Tri Valley is probably best in HoI/CIC. Dee Mac should be improved as well along with GCMS, and LeRoy should be solid again.

Sangamo is no different than years past, Williamsville, Athens, MF, and Auburn will all be very tough teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: rocketnation
Generally agree with all this.
Wilmo at the top. CC will get thumped by Morris but still be in the playoffs, as should the Tone.
Manteno will need to beat either Plano or Sandwich to have a real shot at the playoffs, but those look like two pretty tough games for the Panthers.
My friends from R-C are not very optimistic about this upcoming season. So therefore, neither am I.
Streator is always that enigma. Usually have some really good skill kids, but it never translates to much success. Brand new coach there too.
Herscher I have no idea about. If they can get their numbers back up, maybe they rebound a bit.
Same numbers thing goes with Lisle. A once pretty decent program that had low numbers last season and then got decimated by injuries.

I see only 3 playoff teams from the conference. Hope I’m wrong though. Wouldn’t be the first or last time.

I like that ceiling/floor prediction. Mine are below. Still kinda tough to do because I really think RC,Streator, Lisle, and Herscher could all beat each other any given week. Then if Manteno is similar to the last few years I think they have a few toss ups too.

Wilmington - C 9-0 F 7-2
Coal City - C 7-2 F 6-3
Peotone - C 8-1 F 6-3

I feel like this is where it gets tricky
Manteno - C 5-4 F 4-5
RC C 6-3 F 3-6
Streator C 5-4 F 2-7
Lisle C 5-4 F 2-7
Herscher C 3-6 F 0-9

Again I feel like that middle tier gets tricky IE Lisle beats Herscher but loses to RC and RC loses to Herscher. I think depth and matchups will play a lot into how those games pan out. I agree with DR D, I only think 3 are a lock for playoffs. Maybe a 4th squeezes in

Wilmington and its not even close. Horrible conference. Cats will be deep going into the playoffs since their 2's will play a lot during conf schedule. Chance to go back-back if 2A. No chance in 3A.
CC
Peotone
Manteno
Lisle
RC
Streator
Herscher

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT