ADVERTISEMENT

High school football game attendance

polkhighhero

Oct 1, 2017
Chicago Suburbs
Is it just me or is attendance at these games way down? At the Waubonsie Valley game on Friday, I know the weather was terrible, but it was homecoming and there was almost no one there. I know LWC was further away, but there was a decent traveling fan base. Still think it should have been bigger. I flipped on the Naperville games and the stands look empty. This seems a trend in the games I've been to this year. What are people doing? There is no better value for you dollar in entertainment than good high school football. So much better than college and pro, plus it is like 1% the cost. Minimally, every parent of every kid on the team and the band should be there. It should be almost mandatory for students to go to the's games. Can we get teachers to give extra credit for attendance? (Side note, band parents please stop taking prime seats to only get up and leave at half time. It feels disrespectful.) I think this is what happens when we get to a "winning is not important", "everybody be respectful", "don't hurt anyones feelings" type culture. Please people go out and root for your team. Be loud, give the kids the environment they deserve to play it. Expect them to win and cheer them on. Raise their level of expectation. It makes it fun for everyone.

Is it just me or is attendance at these games way down? At the Waubonsie Valley game on Friday, I know the weather was terrible, but it was homecoming and there was almost no one there. I know LWC was further away, but there was a decent traveling fan base. Still think it should have been bigger. I flipped on the Naperville games and the stands look empty. This seems a trend in the games I've been to this year. What are people doing? There is no better value for you dollar in entertainment than good high school football. So much better than college and pro, plus it is like 1% the cost. Minimally, every parent of every kid on the team and the band should be there. It should be almost mandatory for students to go to the's games. Can we get teachers to give extra credit for attendance? (Side note, band parents please stop taking prime seats to only get up and leave at half time. It feels disrespectful.) I think this is what happens when we get to a "winning is not important", "everybody be respectful", "don't hurt anyones feelings" type culture. Please people go out and root for your team. Be loud, give the kids the environment they deserve to play it. Expect them to win and cheer them on. Raise their level of expectation. It makes it fun for everyone.

Love that on the band comment!! The end of half time stampede out of the stands is very disrespectful to all the kids working hard to try and do well on the field on Friday nites. I always try and be respectful when I get my hotdog and pepsi at half time and wait patiently until the band is done so the parents filming their band members with their iPhones don't get a shot of my bulbous body working back up to my seat!!

Pps - I don't think the band performed last nite At half time actually on the field due to the weather (they did pre game) so didn't have to worry about blocking the video shots etc. yes the student section was the thinnest I have seen it pretty much ever at a home game. I think a lot had to do with the weather. I was wanting to watch it on TV if it was on!! But alas - I had to stick it out in that rained soaked mess!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the band. Think they are critical to the atmosphere. As a matter of fact, Edgy should do a top 5 school band ranking. I'm not talking about the artsy fartsy, highfalutin, shows they put on in competition (sarcastic...I know how hard they work and amazing things they do) but good ol' keep the crowd entertaind, team supporting rah rah football band. I nominate Thornwood band to start.

Don't get me wrong, I love the band. Think they are critical to the atmosphere. As a matter of fact, Edgy should do a top 5 school band ranking. I'm not talking about the artsy fartsy, highfalutin, shows they put on in competition (sarcastic...I know how hard they work and amazing things they do) but good ol' keep the crowd entertaind, team supporting rah rah football band. I nominate Thornwood band to start.

This.

Reactions: mommee68
It hasn't changed much the last ten years or so. Nowhere near what it was 25 years ago but feel like it has stabled off and is what it is.

There is more coverage streaming now thus can affect attendence.

I rather go to the game but some distances during rush hour traffic is not worth it. Rather watch it on the internet in these cases. Just try going to Loyola from the western suburbs during rush hour. Just a waste of time.

Love that on the band comment!! The end of half time stampede out of the stands is very disrespectful to all the kids working hard to try and do well on the field on Friday nites. I always try and be respectful when I get my hotdog and pepsi at half time and wait patiently until the band is done so the parents filming their band members with their iPhones don't get a shot of my bulbous body working back up to my seat!!

Voodoo: "Bulbous body" got me thinking ... I need to get back to reading Poe. Great line. Keep it up.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Ability to watch/follow the game on TV and internet hurt attendance.
Guess, I really disnt think of that. Personally, I see that as an augmentation rather than a replacement for actually attending the games but can see how some would opt for the warm confines of their computer chair or couch instead of braving the elements.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
agreed with the general point. Hwwever, I think cubs playoff game in addition to weather had a major impact as well.

(Side note, band parents please stop taking prime seats to only get up and leave at half time. It feels disrespectful.)

Is it OK for band parents to leave after halftime if they don't take "prime seats" for the first half? And can we request that all fans stay quiet and seated during the halftime show so as to not be disrespectful to the band?

I typically stay for the entire game, but also don't think I'm being disrespectful to anyone if I leave after halftime. I showed up before the game started on Friday night, sat in the rain for the first half of the game, paid attention, cheered when our kids did well, watched the halftime show, then decided not to sit in the rain for the rest of the game. That is in some way more disrespectful than people who show up late, rudely shout at officials/players/coaches throughout the game, leave the stands during the halftime performance, or talk to their pals throughout the game?

And yes, I do think attendance is generally down since I started going to games in 2009.

Was going to say what the band mom above me said. Also I dont get the connection between "everyone be respectful" and attendance. If you're saying the disrespectful people aren't coming then I prefer that actually.

As for attendance I don't know I think the particular game matters. Along with the weather. The type of season the team is having. The school matters. Whether H-F has stopped selling tickets and deemed it a "sellout" all factors in.

Reactions: MSBandMom
Is it OK for band parents to leave after halftime if they don't take "prime seats" for the first half? And can we request that all fans stay quiet and seated during the halftime show so as to not be disrespectful to the band?

I typically stay for the entire game, but also don't think I'm being disrespectful to anyone if I leave after halftime. I showed up before the game started on Friday night, sat in the rain for the first half of the game, paid attention, cheered when our kids did well, watched the halftime show, then decided not to sit in the rain for the rest of the game. That is in some way more disrespectful than people who show up late, rudely shout at officials/players/coaches throughout the game, leave the stands during the halftime performance, or talk to their pals throughout the game?

And yes, I do think attendance is generally down since I started going to games in 2009.
I find most band parents are comatose during the football games.

I commend the band mom above. I think just being at the game is awesome. They don't need to go bananas. As a matter of fact, how many football parents go to the band concerts, which are awesome. At LA, the general attendance is usually pretty good, but the " loudness" is pretty tebid. There's tailgating going on, some sort of event ( this week it was misericordia awarenes , which was incredible) , the girls tennis championships played at the same time as the football game, celebrating the class of 1955. This happens every week. Tons of other things going on, but ultimately teaches the kids the importance of fellowship.

Reactions: King MJ
MSbandmom and all. Attending games to support the students in general never gets old. Today's HS kids have a ton more going on than 25 years ago when there were the basic 3 major sports. Any complaint about the "support groups" attending football games and taking up prime seats or leaving at halftime is ridiculous. I know my marching band student appreciates all sports as a result of attending HS football, staying awake until after the halftime "show/s" and then literally falling asleep in the bleachers. LWE and Coach Z have a special bond with the band and he has always endorsed the after game team and band singing the loyalty hymn and fight song in the end zone. I believe coach Z played in the band at halftime of his football games...a special linebacker dispensation. Any seats filled are a good thing folks!

I love the MS band and appreciate the parents coming to the game. I have to say in my 20 years at MS the band has gotten so much better! And they work their tails off practicing formations and marching. They cheer hard during the game and there is nothing more hilarious than watching them try to catch the extra points! Well done Hawks.

Although I've been vocal about the games in Orland having funny business going on I always enjoy the band at Sandburg. I think they do it to try and distract from the homecooking going on on the field. Band director must be like, "That was a miserable call, the Raider fans are gonna be PO'd, time to have the band play some Drake to take their mind off the call."

I love the MS band and appreciate the parents coming to the game. I have to say in my 20 years at MS the band has gotten so much better! And they work their tails off practicing formations and marching. They cheer hard during the game and there is nothing more hilarious than watching them try to catch the extra points! Well done Hawks.

Thanks! The football team and coaches seem to really like having the band there and they are all very supportive of each other. I always thought it was nice having football parents, band parents, Hawkette parents, etc. at the game, but apparently only if we don't take "prime seats" or leave after halftime.

Thanks! The football team and coaches seem to really like having the band there and they are all very supportive of each other. I always thought it was nice having football parents, band parents, Hawkette parents, etc. at the game, but apparently only if we don't take "prime seats" or leave after halftime.
Just curious MSBandMom...do your marching band students do competition shows on week ends as well?

Just curious MSBandMom...do your marching band students do competition shows on week ends as well?

No, they only march for games, parades, and some school events. I'd love to see them be a competition level group, but I also know that at least one of my kids wouldn't have enjoyed that.

MSBandMom:

Agree entirely.

A high school football game is a setting for athletes, cheerleaders and band members to showcase their distinct talent. I have sat in on over a dozen football games at Maine South and always try to get there with sufficient time to luxuriate in the Hawk band as they practice before games and during the halftime revelry. Listening to this finely-tuned group of young artists always enhances my experience when I visit Park Ridge.

As far as I am concerned, regardless of what motivates you to make the scene, where you choose to sit or what time you leave has never proved to be a nuisance.

Whether H-F has stopped selling tickets and deemed it a "sellout" all factors in.

Bones:

You are one cruel man.

Just as I had extinguished the vermin who is IG88 from my brain, you return and nourish the lingering memory of "l’affaire IG88," one of the worst posters to torment this forum. Veteran posters are all weathered witnesses to the comedy and satire he unwittingly produced, all of which did him dreadful injury and brought eternal shame upon HF and its fans.

A foolhardy braggart, the man was an immediate annoyance who swiftly became a unique anathema to this board. What astounded me (and still does) is the fact he was willing to post subliterate nonsense, and never so much as bristled at the withering criticism which followed.

Shortly after Bolingbrook defeated his so-called "invincible" Vikings in week nine of 2015, I took to the forum and subjected him to a barrage of insults over the loss. If I am not mistaken, he tip toed back into the forum, vomited up some juvenile excuse for the loss, sidestepped questions, and fled for refuge after LA defeated HF in the playoffs.

I'll be frank: I have no regrets.

To date, my response exposing him to a cavalcade of insults is the only written work I ever saved; it remains in my Word files. If there is any interest among posters, I am happy to reproduce it for pure entertainment value.

Reactions: Gene K. and PRokie

Former football dad/band dad for son, and former band dad (h.s. and college) for daughter...

You can sit wherever you want - if you get there earlier than someone else (football parent or not) and sit where you want to - that's their problem!

You can also leave whenever you want! Band members and their parents make an incredible investment of time to support the team - more than almost any other group - and often even more than some team parents. NEVER feel guilty!

Personally I like to stand at halftime - because it's nice to stand after a half of sitting on typical bleacher seats. While I have had to say "STFU, I want to hear the band!" on occasion, usually it's easier to move down for halftime or just deal with some background noise.

From what I can tell, attendance does not seem to have changed much at Palatine in the last 10-12 years, but the quality of play has been better over time too so that's probably helped. In spite of the better, more competitive play, Palatine fans are NOT as supportive/vocal/"whatever" as I think they should be... maybe that's just another symptom of changing times.

I typically stay for the entire game, but also don't think I'm being disrespectful to anyone if I leave after halftime.

Boy, I stepped in it here. Here is my opinion and it is just that, my opinion and I don't expect anyone else to value it.

1st, I do think everyone should show respect, not only for the band but for the cheerleaders too. And yes, the athletic trainers, the team managers, the kids doing the broadcast, the mascots, the poms, etc. (Every kid participating in the entire process) It is all about the kids, team and school.

That being said, and I know I am going to piss off some, but I do think it is being disrespectful to leave. Not just the band parents, not just the cheer parents but especially the football parents of starters who leave after their kid is pulled out or leave when the score gets out of hand. The point of a high school football game is...the high school football game. When you just show up for your kid, we loose the community spirit and is selfish. We should all be there for all the kids all the time. Good, bad or otherwise. There are always situations where we can't stay for whatever reason, but on the whole, if you go to watch your kid, you should stick around and watch all the kids. Root for the team and enjoy it when they all go crazy overy the win.

Last edited:
Reactions: PRokie
....Also I dont get the connection between "everyone be respectful" and attendance. If you're saying the disrespectful people aren't coming then I prefer that.

Yeah, didn't write that real well. I don't mean people should be direspectful. I just meant I think we are genearly to "political correct" and are afraid to say anything or do anything out of fear of offending someone somehow or being attacked for it. It think this has led us to become sheepish and high school cheering has suffered as a result. That in turn has turned to apathy for our favorite teams and in turn a decline in attendance.

Last edited:
From a respect perspective, I don't think the problem is band parents leaving after halftime. I think it's the people screaming at the refs or the coaches who are being disrespectful to the team and to the other people sitting in the stands trying to watch the game.

Not sure why football is such a focus. Do you think that every parent should attend every school sport and Fine Arts event? If I spend a couple hours on a Friday night cheering for a high school football team, I'm at a loss to understand why I'm disrespectful if I don't spend that third hour, or if I don't stay to watch the kids go crazy after a win.

Perhaps you're just bemoaning the reduction in spectators/cheering at high school football games, but I think it's unfair to blame band parents for that. Just curious if you attend soccer games, basketball games, band and orchestra concerts, school plays, etc?

So, on occasion I do attend other sporting events and school activities....they just don't hold my attention the same way.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and it is a matter of perspective. I don't think the which sports/activity you support is the issue. Let me try an analogy here. If someone invites tou to dinner, do you just show up for the steak, eat it and leave? My guess is not that would be rude and disrespectful. You show up early have cocktails, visit, eat and even stick around for coffee and desert.

To flip this around, if the band ever invited the football team to put on a demonstration at one of their competitions (How's that for an idea?) and someone went just to watch their football player and then left not finishing the band competiton, I would think that was rude. If the soccer team, invited the Cub Scouts out to recognize them during one of their breaks and the Cub Scout parents left right after, I would think that was disrespectful. (BTW, this happens all the time on youth football night and they are all football parents) The way I see it, the school has invited the band, cheer, youth group, etc to participate in the football game and they should...not simply only take part in what they care about.

I understand that everyone has their opinion and this is mine. I am clearly not going to change anyone's here and no one is going to change mine with out some awesome logic that I have never considered before. Love the discussion though.

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
Yeah, didn't write that real well. I don't mean people should be direspectful. I just meant I think we are genearly to "political correct" and are afraid to say anything or do anything out of fear of offending someone somehow or being attacked for it. It think this has led us to become sheepish and high school cheering has suffered as a result. That in turn has turned to apathy for our favorite teams and in turn a decline in attendance.
I don't understand how political correctness and football game attendance/cheering even intersect. Can you elaborate?

The way I see it, the school has invited the band, cheer, youth group, etc to participate in the football game and they should...not simply only take part in what they care about.
Interesting, because to me the event is not someone else's event to which the band has been invited, but an event that all the students participate in equally. In fact, band students are required to attend. I am glad my kids' school appears to consider the band an important part of the overall event and not just people to make some noise, play the fight song, and bask in the reflected glory of the football team.

Love the discussion though.
Me too. :)

It's a social event for the kids. Most students don't pay attention to the game. Maybe 25% watch and follow along. Been to both Oswego and WV games kids leave around halftime to party.

As far as band parents leaving after half, so what , I don't consider that rude. I have seen some fathers get mad and leave while their son is on the on the field or Basketball court. I would think that's more messed up than band parents leaving.

As far as attendance, someone already touched on it, other sports either that day or next morning, weather, team being bad, carnaval across the street, cubs on TV, watching via TV or following WVTV twitter feed which I do when at Oswego games.

I go to basketball games all the time and leave early if it's a blow out, or I just want to go home.

I know I'm all over the place , at the airport and tough to concentrate.

Have a great week and remember - don't sleep on Oswego

BigJohn

I love having the band there! The Cheerleaders, the Hawkeyes, all the little ones!!! AWESOME!

It makes for a very exciting atmosphere to be sure. The band really does a nice job. I have to say, every time they end the halftime show and march right up to the stands it reminds me of the marching band in Animal House... it cracks me up!

That being said, I do think it’s rude of the people who leave after halftime. This last week not so much as it was raining, and it was hardly a contest on the field. That being said, preferred seating is for who gets there and claims it.

While I do wish the crowds were bigger now that I have a player on the team, I glad we have what we do.

Reactions: polkhighhero
An ancillary issue to this discussion is the idea of preferred seating. I really like school who reserve good seats for parents of all competing. Too often especially at big games parents often need to show up very early to get any seats at all. It’s something small but a great way to say thanks to parents

Interesting, because to me the event is not someone else's event to which the band has been invited, but an event that all the students participate in equally. In fact, band students are required to attend. I am glad my kids' school appears to consider the band an important part of the overall event and not just people to make some noise, play the fight song, and bask in the reflected glory of the football team.

Me too. :)
I can tell you one fact about MS football. When the band is not there we sure do miss them A LOT!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT