ADVERTISEMENT

Feetos Friday Upset Special.....

feeto

Aug 23, 2007
First congratulations to the Mustangs of St. Rita for last weeks upset victory over St. Francis. For this week we'll travel all the way out to Palatine (I'm not really sure where that is) for a battle of unbeatens in the Mid-Suburban West. This week's upset is..... The unranked Hawks of Hoffman Estates over the #25 Vikings of Fremd. The home team Vikings are having a fantastic season and have been pounding opponents all year. Fremd has been winning by an average of 36 points per game, and it would be more like 45 per game if not for 4th quarter points vs their 2nd team. The offense is on fire putting up over 45 per game. There hasn't been much talk about Hoffman Estates this year, but they've been a force on both sides of the ball. I expect another game like last years overtime thriller that ended in a Hawks victory. Final score Hoffman Estates 24 - Fremd 21. That's this week's upset. What are your thoughts and who is your upset?

I haven’t done a prediction since the 72 USA/USSR basketball game and I won’t today but it is the feast of St. Vincent DePaul today. That’s all I’ve got.

• Wow
Reactions: RockSoup
I am going to go with:

LWW over NC
&
LWC over Bradley
Yes, Bradley may find LWC to be a step up in competition after 3 of the former's wins being over 0-4 teams. West got stung at home by Sandburg last week, but the latter fully earned the win. LWW taking down NC would definitely be an upset, then the latter still has Lockport, Sandburg and LWE coming up.

Yes, Bradley may find LWC to be a step up in competition after 3 of the former's wins being over 0-4 teams. West got stung at home by Sandburg last week, but the latter fully earned the win. LWW taking down NC would definitely be an upset, then the latter still has Lockport, Sandburg and LWE coming up.
Doesn’t seem like LWC over B-B is an upset other than record.

Calpreps:
Bradley-Bourbonnais (Bradley, IL) at Lincoln-Way Central (New Lenox, IL), 7:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Lincoln-Way Central (New Lenox, IL) 28 (53%) Bradley-Bourbonnais (Bradley, IL) 27 (47%)]

Massey has LWC as 14 point favorites 35-21.

Reactions: johnndoe
Doesn’t seem like LWC over B-B is an upset other than record.

Calpreps:
Bradley-Bourbonnais (Bradley, IL) at Lincoln-Way Central (New Lenox, IL), 7:00pm [projection and percent chances to win: Lincoln-Way Central (New Lenox, IL) 28 (53%) Bradley-Bourbonnais (Bradley, IL) 27 (47%)]

Massey has LWC as 14 point favorites 35-21.
I would take the points and the under.

Reactions: doctor_d
I’m going with Oswego East over Minooka in a defensive slug fest.
I also like JCA over Naz.
I thought about picking OE, but I think Minooka wants to show the state they are the real deal.

Animated GIF

• Haha
Reactions: doctor_d
First congratulations to the Mustangs of St. Rita for last weeks upset victory over St. Francis. For this week we'll travel all the way out to Palatine (I'm not really sure where that is) for a battle of unbeatens in the Mid-Suburban West. This week's upset is..... The unranked Hawks of Hoffman Estates over the #25 Vikings of Fremd. The home team Vikings are having a fantastic season and have been pounding opponents all year. Fremd has been winning by an average of 36 points per game, and it would be more like 45 per game if not for 4th quarter points vs their 2nd team. The offense is on fire putting up over 45 per game. There hasn't been much talk about Hoffman Estates this year, but they've been a force on both sides of the ball. I expect another game like last years overtime thriller that ended in a Hawks victory. Final score Hoffman Estates 24 - Fremd 21. That's this week's upset. What are your thoughts and who is your upset?
My thought on Hoffman Estates is this:
They beat Buffalo Grove whose only win is over winless Highland Park.
They beat Maine East, of which further comment is not necessary.
They beat Wheeling, whose wins are over winless Vernon Hills and the aforementioned Maine East.
They beat the aforementioned Vernon Hills.
We are all familiar with this plan of attack ... scheduling to get to five wins to make the postseason. I cannot argue with Hoffman Estates' approach to the 2024 season. They have Palatine, Palatine Fremd, Barrington and Schaumburg (a combined 15-1) left to play, but should bag the coveted fifth victory when they face winless Conant.
Mundelein follows this type of five-win strategy, scheduling two nonconference likely wins, knowing it has league wins over Zion-Benton and Waukegan to get to four, and then has to somehow win a game in which it is pretty much always a prohibitive underdog.
I do not argue with the scheduling. Football is a hard sport. Basketball practice shooting 3-pointers from the logo and dunking is fun. Football practice is not fun. It's hard work. In football, the fun is in the winning. Giving a team a reason to be showing up strong at practice when you're 3-4 (still with a chance to get to five wins and make the playoffs) would seem to be a good thing to keep kids excited in late October.
It's also I think a good reason for not including every team in the playoffs. You completely remove the goal of winning five games to make the playoffs. And while you could argue that a playoff game is huge for the kids on every team, you would now run into first-round games in which Loyola (a 6-3 team this year) would face a team such as Waukegan, which is in its eighth season in the North Suburban Conference and (ignoring the covid-shortened spring season), is 0-51 in school history in conference games. That's OH and 51 going into tonite's game at Stevenson.
A playoff game such as that which is requiring practice for what is literally a non-winnable game is not fun.
And if you're scoring at home, Maine East has lost 51 consecutive Central Suburban North games, a streak that started with a loss in Week 9 of the 2012 football season (covid season not counting).

My thought on Hoffman Estates is this:
They beat Buffalo Grove whose only win is over winless Highland Park.
They beat Maine East, of which further comment is not necessary.
They beat Wheeling, whose wins are over winless Vernon Hills and the aforementioned Maine East.
They beat the aforementioned Vernon Hills.
We are all familiar with this plan of attack ... scheduling to get to five wins to make the postseason. I cannot argue with Hoffman Estates' approach to the 2024 season. They have Palatine, Palatine Fremd, Barrington and Schaumburg (a combined 15-1) left to play, but should bag the coveted fifth victory when they face winless Conant.
Mundelein follows this type of five-win strategy, scheduling two nonconference likely wins, knowing it has league wins over Zion-Benton and Waukegan to get to four, and then has to somehow win a game in which it is pretty much always a prohibitive underdog.
I do not argue with the scheduling. Football is a hard sport. Basketball practice shooting 3-pointers from the logo and dunking is fun. Football practice is not fun. It's hard work. In football, the fun is in the winning. Giving a team a reason to be showing up strong at practice when you're 3-4 (still with a chance to get to five wins and make the playoffs) would seem to be a good thing to keep kids excited in late October.
It's also I think a good reason for not including every team in the playoffs. You completely remove the goal of winning five games to make the playoffs. And while you could argue that a playoff game is huge for the kids on every team, you would now run into first-round games in which Loyola (a 6-3 team this year) would face a team such as Waukegan, which is in its eighth season in the North Suburban Conference and (ignoring the covid-shortened spring season), is 0-51 in school history in conference games. That's OH and 51 going into tonite's game at Stevenson.
A playoff game such as that which is requiring practice for what is literally a non-winnable game is not fun.
And if you're scoring at home, Maine East has lost 51 consecutive Central Suburban North games, a streak that started with a loss in Week 9 of the 2012 football season (covid season not counting).
Just so you are aware, week 1 is the only open date for MSL teams. So the only game they had control over was the BG game

Reactions: Quags57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT