ADVERTISEMENT

Expert MIKE, what say you?

Wittymoniker1

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2007
La Grange Park, IL
I know you're a humble guy; however, your high school hockey predictions and baseball predictions up to this point have been solid. What say, you this Friday for 3 and 4a? I'll hang up and listen for my answer.

Witty...I'm going to take a look at some stats and facts a little later on....I will retitle this thread and edit this response that will be directed straight to you...Going a little Blackhawks crazy here right now...I'll be on it soon...stand by...

MIKEFTB

I think the Hillmen are going to have a real tough time with Glenwood. They are a quality team with a bunch returning from last year's runner up team. I do believe the winner of JCA/Glenwood winner will win it all. Going against my strong rooting interest, I think Glenwood is the team to beat in 3A. Either way I will be there with my kids rooting on the Hilltoppers. Congrats Coach Voss on your third consecutive trip to the state finals.

Re: Witty...The Finals Outlook....

Now we can exhale! Cup in Chicago...back to regulary payed attention issues...

I've looked over the baseball situation....there are going to be some great games all the way around, and it'll all start Friday at 10AM

After careful looking at the facts I think that...

3A
Chatham-Glenwood vs JCA...this will be one heck of a game, if there's a team out there that can oust JCA, it's Glenwood. I know they have over 30 wins. I lean toward JCA because I'm not sure that the baseball strength in the Springfield area is comparable to this area, but the teams JCA has played are pretty strong. Add to the fact this is more of a home game for the Hilltoppers, and they should have a great crowd. I'm going with JCA in this one...but I think it'll be close, and I wouldn't be surprised if Chatham pulls off a win...

Marian Central and De Kalb next...Those two schools are in the same vicinity. After a mini losing streak in mid May, the Barbs have really come on winning 7 straight. Marian Central has been streaking as well over the past few weeks. Both teams have hit a good stride. I like the Hurricanes in this game. I think they have a bit more at the plate and will puch their ticket to the title game...

4A
Naperville Central vs Stevenson...WOW! 10 games into the season, Central waas 9-1...guess who that 1 loss was to? That's right the Patriots. However neither of Central's big arms were on the mound in that game as the Redhawks 3 combined Pitchers jointly yielded 15 hits by Stevenson while only coming up with 4 runs on 7 hits over 7 innings. While Central has the big two hurlers Shane Conlon, the St.Rita transfer and Dan Ludwig, Stevenson has a pretty good pitching duo with converted SS Kyle Ruchim and 6'4 Tyler Radtke who both have had a big part in the Patriots current record of 34-3. Friday's game will see the 36-4 Redhawks Ludwig take the hill against the Patriots Radtke who pitched 4 innings of relief in that win over Central back in April, and struck out 8 of the first 9 batters he faced after coming into the game. Both teams can swing the bats, but this will come down to pitching. Like the Chatham/JCA game I'm leaning toward Central, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Stevenason win this game, and one other thing to consider...the Redhawks have been like Michael Corleone at the end of the Godfather when he has Moe Greene, Don Tattaglia, Don Barzini, and Don Straci all murdered....All family bussiness accounts were settled..and so too have the Redhawks settled scores with some of the teams that beat them in the regular season such as...Lockport...Naperville North, and most recently O'Fallon who abruptly ended Central's state run last year in the Super-Sectional...Stevenson is all that's left now in the way of what would be Central's 2nd state title appearence, the last in '06 when they won it all while the Patriots are making their first ever state finals appearence under head Coach Paul Mazzuca who suceeded the legendary Stevenson Skipper Bob Mackey

St.Rita vs Huntley

With all due respect to Huntley who is growing by leap and bounds...the magical mystery tour is coming to an end. Too much depth for the Mustangs who have played much tougher competition and are driven to get back to the title game that they lost to New Trier last season. Rita wins by more than enough...

So this will set up...

3A
JCA vs Marian Central...the other Marian school will take on the Hilltoppers, but it'll be all JCA who should secure their 3rd state title, and second under Coach Jared Voss right in their own back yard...

4A
Naperville Central vs St.Rita-We all know what the main storyline will be in this game don't we? Redhawks Pitcher Shane Conlon a year ago was taking the hill for the Mustangs, and now if things fall into place he'll take to the mound to face his former Mates, and boy does St Rita have aome quality sticks in their line up..Mark Payton (drafted by the Twins)...Joe Filomeno..and Sophomore Stef Belmonte are a formidible hitting trio so we'll get to see Rita power vs Central heat...something's gotta give, and you've got to wonder...who has the advantage? I always say great pitching can neutralize great hitting most of the time. Like Central St Rita has some quality pitching to send out to the mound. Rita P Anthony Andres who pitched a whale of a ball game against Andrew could be on the mound for a potential state title game,or Filomeno who has thrown a lot. There are a lot of options for the Mustangs..The only private school Central faced this season was Andrean a 3A program out of Merrillville, IN and they thumped the Redhawks 12-3 and are playing in the Indiana baseball semi-finals this weekend for a chance to play in the state championship next weekend in Indianapolis..

Nothing drives a team or player like determination. For Shane Conlon he may be taking to the mound for all the marbles Saturday night facing the same guys he went to war with last season.. Losing the big one can provide enough motivation to right the wrongs. All of the key players in St Rita's stable played large roles in last season's run. I think that's the key to what I think will not only be a hell of a ball game...but St. Rita's 1st state championship in baseball and this game could be a lot like the Andrew game that saw some dynamite pitching from both sides but in the end a narrow win by the Mustangs.....Solid defense in this game will be of the utmost importance...

I'll say this whoever wins the 4A title will have walked through the valley of the shadow of death to earn it!

On with the show!

MIKEFTB

Mike:

I enjoyed your thoughts, however 2 corrections.

Central beat both JCA (7-2) and Providence (5-1) in the second week of the season. I certainly had no idea that the NC-JCA game the second Monday of the season would be a game between the eventual 4A and 3A state champs! JCA wasn't playng too well at that point, they must have really picked it up to get to where they are now.

Like you said, time to PLAY BALL!

Very nice, MIKE! I hope your predictions come true. Love The Godfather reference!

TT-bolts' Doherty pitched very well against Cascia--a Buerhle-type pitcher. In the past, I think SR has had some issues with constant off-speed type of pitchers. Wonder what kind of pitcher Huntley is going to "throw" at SR tomorrow? I know Joey Filomeno will be starting for the Mustangs.
This post was edited on 6/10 7:29 PM by Wittymoniker1

Here is one for you mike-you-know-cherry's-kick-was-good-from-the-brook:

If your prediction comes true, is JC's baseball program more successful than its football?

Originally posted by Wittymoniker1:
Wonder what kind of pitcher Huntley is going to "throw" at SR tomorrow?

Did Klein pitch against Wheaton North?

I can only assume JC that you're angle on this might be winning %? In which case I would have to say yes it would be...otherwise...you'll have to solve the mystery...

MIKEFTB

One thing that us Central fans hope will work for us today is the "pucker" factor. Dan Ludwig has pitched about 130 varsity innings, and this will be his 5th playoff start. All four previous playoff starts have been very tough close games against very good teams, and Central has prevailed in all thoses games. The Stevenson kid has only pitched 50 varsity innings, and this will be his third playoff start. Stevenson has won all 5 of their games handily in the playoffs this year, but I think it is safe to say this game will be close.

On paper Central should handle the pressure better, they have been there before both this year and last year. However they play the game on the field, not on paper, so we'll see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT