ADVERTISEMENT

DePaul Prep Field Change

DigitalCy

Jan 11, 2017
Word is that DePaul Prep will be playing their home games at Chicago Academy.

Not a good situation for that program as they leave Lane which obviously is convenient and now their students will have to play on a field where St. Pat's plays their freshman games. What's going to happen when they host a crossover game against a program that has fans that travel well?

From one of the great programs to a shell of itself. It's going to be very difficult for any kid that's decent at football or wants to play football to even consider them as a program to attend at this point.

Reactions: Hawks65
Any word on why they left Lane? Why can't they play on Luther North old field? Hanson?

DP hosts Marmion, DeLaSalle, and Rita. Even a sparse traveling crowd from those 3 schools will be more than Chicago Academy could handle logistically. Seating will be only on one side in bleachers that resemble most visitor section. Parking will be an absolute nightmare as there is minimal at the school and the rest is neighborhood parking. Luther North would be a slightly better alternative, but I'm sure they looked into it and weren't able to get it

Semi-related question. I was a born and rasied suburbanite and went to a geographically districted high school, and I was wondering about Catholic schools like Gordon Tech/DePaul Prep(who did win 6A my senior year) and non-geographically districted CPS schools like Lane Tech.

What kind of attendance do those schools get for their games? I'd imagine most kids bus in and the non-athletes bus home right after classes end. I started to think "why leave Lane when it's just across the river", but if my assumption is correct that most kids bus in does that really matter?

MC leaves Gately, Pats out of Hanson, TECH out of Lane . . . it's almost as if the CPS doesn't like to share anymore.

MC leaves Gately, Pats out of Hanson, TECH out of Lane . . . it's almost as if the CPS doesn't like to share anymore.

I think I posted this in the MC thread. This is a larger reason.

Any connection between the Soldier field thing and this as I think the fields are actually park district and not schools.

Either way, I think they priced out the catholic schools.

Smaller crowds at high school football games also made this possible.

Semi-related question. I was a born and rasied suburbanite and went to a geographically districted high school, and I was wondering about Catholic schools like Gordon Tech/DePaul Prep(who did win 6A my senior year) and non-geographically districted CPS schools like Lane Tech.

What kind of attendance do those schools get for their games? I'd imagine most kids bus in and the non-athletes bus home right after classes end. I started to think "why leave Lane when it's just across the river", but if my assumption is correct that most kids bus in does that really matter?
GT made decisions that aligned themselves with DePaul and neglected a very proud alumni base. They are a non-factor for north side athletes.(Addison and Harlem area and closer to the city). The change is academic and financial and basically ends GT....DePaul as a respectable football program.
Lane hasn’t been a neighborhood school for a couple decades and hasn’t had a great playoff atmosphere since Corey Benz QB’d in ‘05

CPS has increased the cost for schools to rent CPS fields so DePaul made the decision to move to Chicago Academy for now because it was going to cost too much to pay CPS for the field, plus DePaul was only getting the 4:15pm slot to play games.

This is a real train wreck. Does anyone know how many kids are in the football program Frosh-Senior?

Staying in the Catholic League for football is a terrible idea for programs like DePaul Prep, Leo, St. Joe's, Hope.

They would be better off forming their own football conference and playing each other 2x than being canon fodder for the larger Catholic League schools. This way you could play 6 "conference games" against legitimate peer competition and pickup 3 out of conference games.

DePaul has 28 varsity players and I believe will field a freshman team of 24

St Pats playing at Triton College is only temporary because they are waiting for the completion of the new stadium being built at Oak Park & Irving

Reactions: superac777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT