ADVERTISEMENT

CPS brings back elementary football

I just found out that CPS is bringing back elementary tackle football. Do you think it will help CPS HS Football? How long do you think it will take show any dividends?
Probably 5 or 6 years before anything significant. I would assume they are starting in 5th or 6th grade. How many teams?

I just found out that CPS is bringing back elementary tackle football. Do you think it will help CPS HS Football? How long do you think it will take show any dividends?
I think it will help tremendously. First it will build in some work ethic and discipline into kids before they play freshman football. If the high school coaches can get a group of three or more teams to feed into their programs the payback would be just a couple of years.

Have the high school coaches run some coaching clinics for the grade school coaches. Get everyone on same page with terminology and maybe basic offensive and defensive schemes to start with. If you look at good public school program like LWE and Maine South they have great feeder programs. They don’t rebuild they reload for the most part.

Getting the kids into an after school program like football can’t hurt keeping kids in school and off the streets.

I’m over 50 and I have no memory of CPS grade football....when you say bringing it back how long has it been gone? It’s definitely a good thing for the CPS youth but with the numerous Park and Pop Warner leagues available in Chicago will it even even take off?

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Probably 5 or 6 years before anything significant. I would assume they are starting in 5th or 6th grade. How many teams?

They recently shut down the AUSL league of elementary schools. That's about 16 -20 schools across the city that will definitely play. But I'm hearing that are making it available to all schools, but they will let individual schools decide if they will or not.

AUSL in no longer managing schools and are beginning a transition process to turn the schools back over to the CPS networks. I wonder where the schools will find the funding?

Reactions: Schwab54
One of the best things the Bears do is to fund the Junior Bears football program. Not enough programs and the coaching is not what it could be, but some opportunity is better than none.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT