ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats to BR's Baseball Coach & Field

julius1

Sep 10, 2004
BR's Baseball Head Coach finally got his wish, a outfield fence. The timing of this delivery is a little questionable since he no longer will be coaching the BR Freshmen Football Program and takes over the field he used when he was the Head Coach. Is this a slap to Head of the Football program, and also to the other sports that use the valuable space? What about their Softball League during the summer that uses that field? BR will never have baseball fields like that of Mount Carmel, Saint Laurence and even Saint Rita. The HC should have gotten a fence like the one at Evergreen Park, then the two Freshmen Baseball could play at home instead of heading to Christ Hospital!

Julius,

My understanding is that the fence, like MC's, will come down after baseball season and the BR frosh football team will still practice in this space. Varisty/sophs on the turf.

What type of fence does EP have? How would that be any different than what BR used to have? I drove by the other day and the fence looks pretty nice. The field is in pretty good shape with the recent improvements made (new grass in OF, scoreboard, etc), and is on par with others in the CCL.

I played at Rice and taking the fence down and rolling it up, then carry the sections to the clubhouse was not always a lot of fun after the game...

I play in the softball league. We are playign at McAuley and on the one game at a time on the turf.

Like anything, it takes time and money to improve the field. Not only has that program improved to a power, but every year from the turf cage to brick backstop, to new outfield fence, scoreboard, it keeps getting better. I am sure Coach Nye who has a turf field is happy, not slapped in his face, that capital improvements continue @ BR.

Coach Lyons was a heck of a football coach but not many Head Varsity coaches double up sports. It can't be easy. Congrats to him for all he he has done for BR from an MC alum!

By the way...

They are getting a brick wall down the the entire first baseline this summer with netting. Eventually they want to sink the dugouts and install lights, according to the Asst. AD.

EP's fence blows down every wind storm. It is brutal!

i recall seeing the fence last year when i stopped by MC at BR...has anyone ever hit one over that left field fence by McCauley parking lot??
This post was edited on 4/2 12:22 PM by DeanOfSelection

Back when I played at Rice the word was that only 2 people had done so: Bob Cummings-BR 76/77, who was top 5 pick in MLB draft, and maybe Gianackos from MC I thought...It is one heck of a poke, i believe '407 down the line.

I was at BR/SR last year and Callahan, who was an outstanding OT for the football team, hit one over the fence in dead right field that is the boundary of the football field; equally impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT