ADVERTISEMENT

College FB Roadtrips

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
All this talk about Illini football has got me thinking about CFB. I decided earlier this year that I would start a CFB bucket list and go to every big ten stadium much like some people do with baseball stadiums. I have only been to Illini, Indiana (prerenovation) and Northwestern thus far.

I would like to soak up the entire experience including tailgates and local watering holes. Also if possible I'd like to go to a rivalry game or marquee matchup. There are only 14 games to hit and If I spread them out over several years paying for big games won't break the bank.

So let's hear it. Which Big Ten experiences are the best? What recommendations do you have to make this the most enjoyable?

Not Big 10, but Alabama for football is great experience. My daughter started there in the fall and I went down to three games. What a great time. We had a big group and rented a tent on the quad. They dont really "tailgate" there, people set up tents on the quad. The strip, which is right on campus has numerous places to eat and drink. The people are great and love to show their southern hospitality.

I have been to numerous Big 10 venues,(Iowa, Illinois, MIchigan, NU, WIsconsin and ND). Completely different experience. I would highly recommend a game in Tuscaloosa. I am going to make an effort to try and get to some more of the SEC schools to experience the game day atmosphere in the south. I hit LSU two years ago and it was another great experience. Hoping to get to at least one Bama road game a year for the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions: ignazio
This Fighting Illini fan has seen the lads play in every Big Ten stadium, North Carolina, California, UCLA, several bowl games. I am going to UConn this year, hey they might win!

Nebraska is great. Nice people and downtown Lincoln is awesome. We got invited to a house party, it was like being back in college. Plus we saw a Josh Ferguson touchdown. Joliet!

Purdue terrible. Rutgers terrible. Maryland awful, but they serve beer.

Indiana nice campus, good bars. Iowa never again, at least Illinois won!

Minnesota nice stadium and lots to do in Minneapolis, Wisconsin is different because it's bars and not really tailgating. Plus my wife went there so she knows where to go.

Michigan was terrible because if you are in the away team section and go to the bathroom, you miss the entire third quarter. Michigan State nice campus, decent tailgate, stadium sucks.

Ohio State, fans were rude before game but after a 46-20 win, they were thanking us because they wanted John Cooper fired.

Penn State we were there for the whiteout, night game, great atmosphere. Fans gave us a ride to the stadium, played beer pong with some students. It was cool to drive from Pittsburgh, very scenic drive just like The Deer Hunter. But that was 2008 so maybe the fans are different post-Sandusky? Also the stadium is built like an Erector set, I bumped my head on a beam going to the bathroom.

Northwestern, either tailgate on the golf course? if it's a 2:30 or night kickoff you might be better drinking and eating in downtown Evanston then going to the game.

I've also been to several SEC games. Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia (2007, same night Illinois won at Ohio State, we drank for free) LSU, Florida, South Carolina. But Ole Miss was the best, that is some tailgate scene!

Last edited:
I dread the Rutgers and Maryland trips when It comes to that part of my quest. I would say original 11 only, but I really want to go to Lincoln, so I'm going to do it the right way. I'm not even sure what teams to go see Rutgers or Maryland play. Do they ever have a crazy atmosphere?

I love the tailgating at Illinois. Northwestern is a good time as well, but the atmosphere in the stadium is a little blah.

I dread the Rutgers and Maryland trips when It comes to that part of my quest. I would say original 11 only, but I really want to go to Lincoln, so I'm going to do it the right way. I'm not even sure what teams to go see Rutgers or Maryland play. Do they ever have a crazy atmosphere?

I love the tailgating at Illinois. Northwestern is a good time as well, but the atmosphere in the stadium is a little blah.
Rutgers poor atmosphere, tailgate in the parking lot outside. When they score, they have these guys dressed as American colonial soldiers shoot off a cannon.

Maryland was just awful. no atmosphere, tailgate in a parking deck. But they serve beer. One thing about UI is tailgating in grass lots, big difference IMO.

Reactions: Dual-triple_threat
If you are coming to happy valley ping me and we’ll have you drop by the parents tailgate. If you like to tail gate you should love it at Penn State with the crowd for the big games sometimes nearly 4 x stadium attendance at 110,000. Big games for the year carry the whiteout designation and lots open at 8am for a kick off between 6-8pm. This year expectations are that the home Michigan game will be the big one followed by a traditional rival game against Pitt week 2. Come to either of those games for a good time but be prepared for 2 night minimums on hotels and if you can find one in the valley be prepared to drop $400/night or more. If you prefer Air BnB the options are there but don’t get sticker shock and the 2 night min will still be in place. Hope this helps.

All this talk about Illini football has got me thinking about CFB. I decided earlier this year that I would start a CFB bucket list and go to every big ten stadium much like some people do with baseball stadiums. I have only been to Illini, Indiana (prerenovation) and Northwestern thus far.

I would like to soak up the entire experience including tailgates and local watering holes. Also if possible I'd like to go to a rivalry game or marquee matchup. There are only 14 games to hit and If I spread them out over several years paying for big games won't break the bank.

So let's hear it. Which Big Ten experiences are the best? What recommendations do you have to make this the most enjoyable?

I really like the experience at Iowa. Great tailgating (Big Ass Turkey Legs!), and a fun crowd atmosphere in a packed stadium. Northwestern seems subdued by comparison. Can't remember much about Illinois; I was overserved.

If you are coming to happy valley ping me and we’ll have you drop by the parents tailgate. If you like to tail gate you should love it at Penn State with the crowd for the big games sometimes nearly 4 x stadium attendance at 110,000. Big games for the year carry the whiteout designation and lots open at 8am for a kick off between 6-8pm. This year expectations are that the home Michigan game will be the big one followed by a traditional rival game against Pitt week 2. Come to either of those games for a good time but be prepared for 2 night minimums on hotels and if you can find one in the valley be prepared to drop $400/night or more. If you prefer Air BnB the options are there but don’t get sticker shock and the 2 night min will still be in place. Hope this helps.

Tailgating might be my favorite part of a stadium experience. Meeting locals and rivals is always so interesting to me.

I have a Penn State guy I work with who has offered to go with me but we will look you guys up for sure. He grew up out there so he’s pretty familiar.

Not Big 10, but Alabama for football is great experience. My daughter started there in the fall and I went down to three games. What a great time. We had a big group and rented a tent on the quad. They dont really "tailgate" there, people set up tents on the quad. The strip, which is right on campus has numerous places to eat and drink. The people are great and love to show their southern hospitality.

I have been to numerous Big 10 venues,(Iowa, Illinois, MIchigan, NU, WIsconsin and ND). Completely different experience. I would highly recommend a game in Tuscaloosa. I am going to make an effort to try and get to some more of the SEC schools to experience the game day atmosphere in the south. I hit LSU two years ago and it was another great experience. Hoping to get to at least one Bama road game a year for the next few years.

I will be at bama game this oct, usually 3rd week.
let me know if you will be there. ya my sons went into this bar and were drinking with Richardson for hours. said it was awesome experience, seeing old alums and even the town folk are hilarious.

Reactions: USD24
I've been to all B1G venues except for Maryland and Rutgers.

They are all great experiences.

I went to Purdue. Slayter Hill is the best tailgating spot there. The band plays in the bandshell before kickoff. It's a big hill with tall old trees that's easy walking distance from the stadium. 2:30 PM Chicago time kickoffs are the best there. They now serve beer as well.

I wouldn't consider myself an expert on any other venues. I've enjoyed all of my trips. I would agree with you that including Lincoln is a MUST. I would highly recommend getting prime rib at Misty's the Friday night before a game. The band plays there, the place probably hasn't changed since this Osbourne era. Very nice fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT