ADVERTISEMENT

CCL/ESCC Power Rankings (Week 7)

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
The GOTW certainly lived up to the hype! Not a ton of changes in this week's rankings as things are really starting to shape up. Would love to hear thoughts from others on the rankings and playoff percentages.

1. Loyola (7-0): Easy victory over Providence should be followed up with an easy victory over the Shamrocks. Week 9 will be fun. (LW: 1) (Playoffs: 100%)
2. JCA (7-0): Can anyone stop this team? How can we get them to 6A? I need a JCA/ESL matchup like I need air to breathe! (LW: 3) (Playoffs: 100%)
3. Brother Rice (5-2): Keeping the Crusaders here as they lost really close shootouts to #1 and #2. Have a chance to breathe this week vs Marian but the Southside Showdown awaits in Week 9. (LW: 2) (Playoffs: 100%)
4. St. Ignatius (7-0): "Get healthy" game vs DePaul before the fun Week 9 matchup vs Fenwick. (LW: 4) (Playoffs: 100%)
5. Mount Carmel (5-2) (LW: 5) (Playoffs: 100%)
6. St. Rita (5-2) (LW: 6) (Playoffs: 100%)
7. Marist (5-2): Nice defensive effort in a shutout vs Montini. (LW: 7) (Playoffs: 100%)
8. Fenwick (5-2) (LW: 8) (Playoffs: 100%)
9. Naz (3-4): Did what they needed to do vs Leo. The fun begins now with Montini and Benet. (LW: 9) (Playoffs: 60%)
10. Benet (4-3): Forfeit 'win' this week. Need to scratch and claw to upset one of JCA or Naz....I don't see it happening. (LW: 10) (Playoffs: 15%)
11. Marmion (4-3): Cadets are a sneaky good team. Should punch their ticket this week vs Leo. Wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs. (LW: 11) (Playoffs: 90%)
12. Montini (3-4): Not a great showing vs Marist. No one below them did enough to jump them. Beating both Naz and JCA seems like an impossibility at this point. I (LW: 12) (Playoffs: 5%)
13. Providence (3-4): I still give the Celtics a slight chance at upsetting Rita this week. At least a better shot than having to beat Naz and JCA (LW: 13) (Playoffs: 15%)
14. St. Patrick (4-3): Will come down to having to beat Viator in Week 9, which I view as a toss-up. (LW: 14) (Playoffs: 50%)
15. Marian Central Catholic (3-4): Put up some points vs Rita, which says a lot considering their run of shutouts. Playoffs a tough climb with Fenwick on tap this week (LW: 15) (Playoffs: 10%)
16: ND (2-5) (LW: 16) (Playoffs: 0%)
17. St. Viator (3-4): Bubble likely bursts vs the Caravan this week. (LW: 17) (Playoffs: 5%)
18. St. Laurence (3-4): Beating the Dons and Celtics isn't impossible... (LW: 18) (Playoffs: 15%)
19. Marian Catholic (3-4): Nice win over DLS, an improving program. (LW: 20) (Playoffs: <1%)
20 Leo (2-5) (LW: 19) (Playoffs: 0%)
21. De La Salle (2-5) (LW: 21) (Playoffs: 0%)
22. Carmel (2-5) (LW: 22) (Playoffs: 0%)
23. DePaul (2-5) (LW: 23) (Playoffs: 0%)

The GOTW certainly lived up to the hype! Not a ton of changes in this week's rankings as things are really starting to shape up. Would love to hear thoughts from others on the rankings and playoff percentages.

1. Loyola (7-0): Easy victory over Providence should be followed up with an easy victory over the Shamrocks. Week 9 will be fun. (LW: 1) (Playoffs: 100%)
2. JCA (7-0): Can anyone stop this team? How can we get them to 6A? I need a JCA/ESL matchup like I need air to breathe! (LW: 3) (Playoffs: 100%)
3. Brother Rice (5-2): Keeping the Crusaders here as they lost really close shootouts to #1 and #2. Have a chance to breathe this week vs Marian but the Southside Showdown awaits in Week 9. (LW: 2) (Playoffs: 100%)
4. St. Ignatius (7-0): "Get healthy" game vs DePaul before the fun Week 9 matchup vs Fenwick. (LW: 4) (Playoffs: 100%)
7. Marist (5-2): Nice defensive effort in a shutout vs Montini. (LW: 7) (Playoffs: 100%)
9. Naz (3-4): Did what they needed to do vs Leo. The fun begins now with Montini and Benet. (LW: 9) (Playoffs: 60%)
10. Benet (4-3): Forfeit 'win' this week. Need to scratch and claw to upset one of JCA or Naz....I don't see it happening. (LW: 10) (Playoffs: 15%)
11. Marmion (4-3): Cadets are a sneaky good team. Should punch their ticket this week vs Leo. Wouldn't want to face them in the playoffs. (LW: 11) (Playoffs: 90%)
12. Montini (3-4): Not a great showing vs Marist. No one below them did enough to jump them. Beating both Naz and JCA seems like an impossibility at this point. I (LW: 12) (Playoffs: 5%)
13. Providence (3-4): I still give the Celtics a slight chance at upsetting Rita this week. At least a better shot than having to beat Naz and JCA (LW: 13) (Playoffs: 15%)
14. St. Patrick (4-3): Will come down to having to beat Viator in Week 9, which I view as a toss-up. (LW: 14) (Playoffs: 50%)
15. Marian Central Catholic (3-4): Put up some points vs Rita, which says a lot considering their run of shutouts. Playoffs a tough climb with Fenwick on tap this week (LW: 15) (Playoffs: 10%)
17. St. Viator (3-4): Bubble likely bursts vs the Caravan this week. (LW: 17) (Playoffs: 5%)
18. St. Laurence (3-4): Beating the Dons and Celtics isn't impossible... (LW: 18) (Playoffs: 15%)
19. Marian Catholic (3-4): Nice win over DLS, an improving program. (LW: 20) (Playoffs: <1%)
PC with a slight chance to upset Rita? Of course, anything can happen, but if the stars align this week, it ain't happening.

Reactions: McCaravan

Get JCA to 7A or the sham continues

Get JCA to 7A or the sham continues
LMAO - are you aware of the 7 Deadly sins? #6 Envy (Jealousy) is strong in this one.

Envy – painful or resentful awareness of an advantage enjoyed by another joined with a desire to possess the same advantage: “Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and slander of every kind. Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation” (1 Peter 2:1-2).

Why would JCA want to take an easier route to the championship game(s) by going to 7A? They already beat those teams except ESL. And besides ESL who could really give them a good game or win? I think they will challange themselves and stay in 4A where there are more teams with a possibility of beating them. Besides, how could they get the IHSA to go against their own rules and allow it at this point?

Wink wink! Have a nice day. : )

Last edited:
Reactions: KWysocki
MC counting their lucky stars they get to avoid 6A powerhouse, St. Ignatius.
Haha.

100 percent. 7A is a nice, soft landing spot for MC. They get to avoid Loyola ( who did what weak schools like MC and JC didn’t in petitioning up) while also avoiding ESL and ignatius who are better than MC but slumming it in 6A. Any 7A title comes with multiple asterisks.

In all seriousness, I have always rooted for MC. MC63’s schtick is enough to make me want to root against them, but you just have to remind yourself that their coaching staff, school, and administration would roll their eyes at the thin skin and petty envy. Heck, the schtick seems to be met by crickets or polite eye rolls from the rest of the MC faithful on this board.

that is largely because their program is just so much better than worrying about who has most wins or titles and partially because the schtick collapses on itself when it validates only titles in the class MC is in, effectively putting a chasm between 6A and 7A, but recognizing 7A and 8A as exactly the same…..except 2002, that 6A MC title in 2002 was better than most 8A titles.

I give him credit for keeping up with the incredible mental gymnastics it takes to play up his program and play down others when none of it is necessary at all.

Haha.

100 percent. 7A is a nice, soft landing spot for MC. They get to avoid Loyola ( who did what weak schools like MC and JC didn’t in petitioning up) while also avoiding ESL and ignatius who are better than MC but slumming it in 6A. Any 7A title comes with multiple asterisks.

In all seriousness, I have always rooted for MC. MC63’s schtick is enough to make me want to root against them, but you just have to remind yourself that their coaching staff, school, and administration would roll their eyes at the thin skin and petty envy. Heck, the schtick seems to be met by crickets or polite eye rolls from the rest of the MC faithful on this board.

that is largely because their program is just so much better than worrying about who has most wins or titles and partially because the schtick collapses on itself when it validates only titles in the class MC is in, effectively putting a chasm between 6A and 7A, but recognizing 7A and 8A as exactly the same…..except 2002, that 6A MC title in 2002 was better than most 8A titles.

I give him credit for keeping up with the incredible mental gymnastics it takes to play up his program and play down others when none of it is necessary at all.
While you attempt to make sense, you still can't justify being 4A. I did find your comment about petitioning up to avoid St Ignatius to be clever and amusing.

USD, Kevin and Hillman -I don't expect JCA to petition up this year. It's too late, as we all know. But if they win another Saturday morning trophy, the school should do so for the future (even if it doesn't finish first in a bracket.) You're preventing your athletes from achieving their full potential. How can you be proud of winning 4A with a team of your caliber? BTW, I have no issue with JCA. I've been to your stadium several times. I didn't always come home happy, but I always felt a great deal of respect for your school.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
USD, Kevin and Hillman -I don't expect JCA to petition up this year. It's too late, as we all know. But if they win another Saturday morning trophy, the school should do so for the future (even if it doesn't finish first in a bracket.) You're preventing your athletes from achieving their full potential. How can you be proud of winning 4A with a team of your caliber? BTW, I have no issue with JCA. I've been to your stadium several times. I didn't always come home happy, but I always felt a great deal of respect for your school.
This year, if we make it to the championship game, it would be Friday prime time.

I would obviously be proud of a title this year. Heck, by not petitioning up to 5A, they will have a more formidable path to the title this year. 5A is a massive void of traditional powers this season, so I am actually comparatively excited by the prospect of seeing st Francis, Richmond Burton, Rochester, or SHG.

Now would it have been reasonable to go up to 6A, 7A, or 8A this year? Yea, with this senior class they could compete with anyone. But we haven’t had a team like that since perhaps 2015 and even probably well before then.

Keep in mind this is a program that missed the playoffs in 16 and 17 and lost to mascoutah in 19. In 18 they were smoked by most larger programs and were able to sneak to a 5A title where they seemed to be appropriately placed by playing an instant classic for the 5A title.

So this is not the JC of 1978 or 2000 where there is an immediate precedent for belonging with the best of the best. We are there this year, but haven’t been there for many years and will almost surely take a sizeable step back next year when we should be rightfully multiplied to 5A when the IHSA gets back to doing that.

so while I am all about the bravado and “we will take on all comers” rhetoric, I think that would work this year. But unless something changes, with the loss of this senior group, the programs ability to compete on even footing with any 7A or 8A power will likely be gone after this year. Likely not back to 2016 to 2019 levels, but one where we may be able to make a good run in 5A if everything aligns just right.

Since jca will play a 7pm game and MC a 4pm game doesn't that make theirs so much better

While I appreciate how much you care about our students reaching their full potential, I know for a fact that my son should be and will be plenty proud if they win a state championship in November.

Haha.

MC63 had been getting under people’s skin about classes since the Bush administration. Just ignore him! If MC won 1A I’d be proud.

I wouldn't count MC out yet, they always seem to click at the right time, we will see!
5-2 with 2 wins over @EdgyTim Top Ten teams. Anyone counting out a team with the success of MC is doing it out of pure ignorance. Weather is going to get cold and windy very soon, these high scoring games are going to slow down. Different game in November.

Reactions: Bowie50
5-2 with 2 wins over @EdgyTim Top Ten teams. Anyone counting out a team with the success of MC is doing it out of pure ignorance. Weather is going to get cold and windy very soon, these high scoring games are going to slow down. Different game in November.
Absolutely!

If you'll settle for an empty championship, you're no man of Carmel.
Is there a tribunal of the Men of Carmel who decides what is and is not an "empty" championship?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT