ADVERTISEMENT

Cascia 20, SL 9: Final

They’re in the playoffs w/o several key players not playing tonight. I hate when they get a lead and stop doing the stuff that got them the lead. Not one vertical pass that I can remember the the second half. Hats off to the defense for the interceptions at key points in the game.

Last edited:
In the first half, I was impressed with SR mixing things up offensively to give Sophomore QB a chance with I-Formations, play-action and RPOs. He seemed to do better when throwing downfield, as TL mentioned.

Their in the playoffs w/o several key players not playing tonight. I hate when they get a lead and stop doing the stuff that got them the lead. Not one vertical pass that I can remember the the second half. Hats off to the defense for the interceptions at key points in the game.
First two possessions of second half were three and outs. SL played the counter well in this half. Would've preferred the straight-up-the-gut runs.

Reactions: chakazulu89
I also think DJ would've had a very good game tonight.
Saffold look heathy on the side line. If this was game nine and Rita was four and four I was told he could have played. It should be almost all hands on deck next week. 6-3 is a much better seed than 5-4.

Saffold look heathy on the side line. If this was game nine and Rita was four and four I was told he could have played. It should be almost all hands on deck next week. 6-3 is a much better seed than 5-4.
I do agree with 6-3. However, I've been analyzing the "Playoff Outlook," and Rita would be the highest 6-3 team which potentially could put them at either the #16 or #17th seed or in other words, a possible second round matchup with rival MC, assuming MC defeats LA.

For me, I'd rather (this year, like last year) have SR avoid MC 'til later rounds, if she got there. Although Batavia, Hersey and DGN probably would be favored against SR, I accept the fact SR would be facing these teams, if not MC early.

Last edited:
Rocks Recap:

Proud of everyone involved. A lot of moving parts. Too long to list but they were without 2 starting offensive linemen added on to the ones many knew about.

Offense: Like Wit said, good mix of formations and plays. JR Herman ran well, Soph QB Armbruster, in his first varsity win threw a good ball, a nice 25 yard run when pass pro broke down. But there were too many drops. We can file it on weather and getting used to a new release but a handful of chain moving, keep the defense guessing passes were flat out dropped. Need those receptions as the schedule amps back up. Beautiful series of calls that led to a 50 yard post or vert TD reception by JR Gyimah. Walked the D right to where they wanted them and the players executed the series very well. TLone, your comment about our first couple series out of the half, yeah, it was like you were sitting next to me. Doc sends you his best.

Defense: I thought they played very well shorthanded that got more shorthanded into the game. And Soph LB Owen Lynch stepped up and played with speed and aggression and did his job well. DBs are progressing nicely in the deep shell which will allow them, and the D as a whole, to dial up some different pressures. Front 4 I thought played better vs Loyola but they toughed it out with another area of the team that hasn’t been 100% for awhile.

Special Teams: Seemed a lot tighter and cleaner than the earlier part of the season so that’s very positive. Snaps good, holds good, kicks and punts strong.

I don’t know who’s coming back next week or the playoffs. There didn’t seem to be anyone out for the season from any of the conversations I had. Other then tough Sr WR Colin Lynch that was injured in the JCA game.

Good Night moon, Good morning playoffs

Just thought of this. When Soph LB Owen Lynch went in and played next to JR LB James Kingsbury, a much younger, fuller head of hair Rock watched their fathers Bill Lynch and Matt Kingsbury play LB extremely well for the 1989 Mustangs defense.

• Love
Reactions: Jenny27
Just thought of this. When Soph LB Owen Lynch went in and played next to JR LB James Kingsbury, a much younger, fuller head of hair Rock watched their fathers Bill Lynch and Matt Kingsbury play LB extremely well for the 1989 Mustangs defense.
And with soph Justin Buckner also starting at LB it should be a lot of fun watching the defense next year. I'm starting to see Hopkin's influence on the defense and I like what I see. The defense was attacking at the end of the game.

Rocks Recap:

Proud of everyone involved. A lot of moving parts. Too long to list but they were without 2 starting offensive linemen added on to the ones many knew about.

Offense: Like Wit said, good mix of formations and plays. JR Herman ran well, Soph QB Armbruster, in his first varsity win threw a good ball, a nice 25 yard run when pass pro broke down. But there were too many drops. We can file it on weather and getting used to a new release but a handful of chain moving, keep the defense guessing passes were flat out dropped. Need those receptions as the schedule amps back up. Beautiful series of calls that led to a 50 yard post or vert TD reception by JR Gyimah. Walked the D right to where they wanted them and the players executed the series very well. TLone, your comment about our first couple series out of the half, yeah, it was like you were sitting next to me. Doc sends you his best.

Defense: I thought they played very well shorthanded that got more shorthanded into the game. And Soph LB Owen Lynch stepped up and played with speed and aggression and did his job well. DBs are progressing nicely in the deep shell which will allow them, and the D as a whole, to dial up some different pressures. Front 4 I thought played better vs Loyola but they toughed it out with another area of the team that hasn’t been 100% for awhile.

Special Teams: Seemed a lot tighter and cleaner than the earlier part of the season so that’s very positive. Snaps good, holds good, kicks and punts strong.

I don’t know who’s coming back next week or the playoffs. There didn’t seem to be anyone out for the season from any of the conversations I had. Other then tough Sr WR Colin Lynch that was injured in the JCA game.

Thanks Rock for the recap. Love the fact at the end of the game the defense wasn’t playing prevent. And yes the OL was looking a little small last night. I was at the luncheon this week and knew about the OL but I’ll never give the other team a pre-game scouting report. If the game was not on YouTube I would have been there in person. I’m having angioplasty done and maybe a stent. But should make the 1st playoff game. But my season will be over when I have the value replacement. So there is good reason I sit next to Doc.

I also thought the kicking game was better even with the winds.

Last edited:
Rocks Recap:

As I was watching, I noticed new numbers on that field. I counted 16 UCmen either starting or playing a lot on that field. Granted, some of those UCmen are already starters, but there were 7 sophomores and 9 juniors. This bodes well for next year for sure, if life doesn't throw curveballs out there.

I agree with your special teams analyses. We've been spoiled with great special teams here at Cascia. Rough start, but she is getting better. And it was the late FG that sealed the deal. FG happened because special teams ran back a great kickoff in SL's territory. Few first downs later, and then boom: FG. Game over.

Mixed emotions because second half performance was lackluster compared to the first half. If a team kicks butt in the first half, then what happened in the second half? Go after them! Put the opponent away.

I also realize with these injuries to key players, suspensions, and very raw and younger players filling in the gaps, I must say that this was a very good win. I truly believe Coach Hopkins and staff will have great game plans for the playoffs. Players are adjusting to a new system; it will take time.

Reactions: RockSoup
Decent turnout despite the weather. If we’re fortunate enough to get a home playoff game I hope we can pack the stands. PA guy needs to stop playing his jockjamz 2001 burned CD though. I’m saying that, due for new press box, speakers, scoreboard you name it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT