ADVERTISEMENT

Brother Rice 8A or 7A?

I see Edgy has Brother Rice listed as 8A. IHSA has them at 7A. Any Insights?
Did you see the thread "IHSA Playoff Outlook Updated" ??? Check out my post "projected field of 32 for class 8a". Brother Rice is on the bubble... most likely the largest team in 7a.

Last edited:
Did you see the thread "IHSA Playoff Outlook Updated" ??? Check out my post "projected field of 32 for class 8a". Brother Rice is on the bubble... most likely the largest team in 7a.
Sorry I don't understand. Are you saying if 8A need another team it will pull up one from 7A. Sorry I don't see that in the rules.

Thank you Orange... and since there are two more weeks of football to be played we can only project at this point. And welcome to the board Spankwagon... always nice to see new posters here!

It looks to me that BR will end up in 8A. They are the largest 7A Program projected to be in the playoffs.

It all depends on who makes it in… all classes.

It looks to me that BR will end up in 8A. They are the largest 7A Program projected to be in the playoffs.

Oswego and Oswego East may determine Rice's 7a fate (both are in 8a). Oswego (3-4) needs to beat Oswego East and Yorkville to get in. I currently have them out. Also, Oswego East needs to beat Oswego or Plainfield North to get in. East with the easier path. I have them in. If they both miss the playoffs, BR more likely in 8a.

Sorry I don't understand. Are you saying if 8A need another team it will pull up one from 7A. Sorry I don't see that in the rules.
The best thing about this post is that saying you don't see something in the rules means you read the rules. Yet you missed the part about how the teams are assigned to the 8 classes, which is the most important thing. As has been posted above, the 32 highest enrollment qualifiers will be in 8A, regardless of where the AP, Edgy or anyone else chooses to rank them during the regular season.

The best thing about this post is that saying you don't see something in the rules means you read the rules. Yet you missed the part about how the teams are assigned to the 8 classes, which is the most important thing. As has been posted above, the 32 highest enrollment qualifiers will be in 8A, regardless of where the AP, Edgy or anyone else chooses to rank them during the regular season.
New poster 👍 = learning curve. Pick up the flag, no penalty on the play. Repeat down.

Thanks for your crafty response. Your either a cop a teacher or a women. IHSA site has teams clearly sectioned into groups that are of no consequence, until the final records are determined. I will wait for final rankings after week 9. I look forward to your future critiques.

Thanks for your crafty response. Your either a cop a teacher or a women. IHSA site has teams clearly sectioned into groups that are of no consequence, until the final records are determined. I will wait for final rankings after week 9. I look forward to your future critiques.
Spank, if you are a BR supporter, we might know after this weekend where they end up. It would be prudent to just say that they are on the 7a/8a bubble.

Spank, if you are a BR supporter, we might know after this weekend where they end up. It would be prudent to just say that they are on the 7a/8a bubble.
Thanks. I'm not a BR fan. They are a good team that will present problems to whomever they face. Just trying to watch and predict. Its virtually impossible to do with the significant amount of 5-4 teams and enrollment totals.

It actually only matters if there are 31 or 32 teams larger than BR. If there are only 31 then they are 8A. 32 or more and they are 7A.

For the Brother Rice fan, If u have this afternoon to kill and like guesstimating, you have all the info you need on ihsa website to guess where BR will wind up in two weeks.
If they are in fact the largest school listed by the ihsa in 7A, then here’s what you do: the Ihsa lists 42 8A size schools still with a shot to get to 5 wins. The ihsa actually lists 43 but chicago curie got running clocked in their week 8 game and now have 5 losses so I scratch them out.
Yes some 4-5 teams likely will be in the playoffs but there is zero way to guess which teams that might be right now as it brings all 2-5 teams into play. Anyway 21 schools higher than BR already have 5 wins so you can pretty much pencil them in. That leaves 21 teams currently 4-3 or 3-4 bigger than BR that can still get to 5 wins.
Look at remaining schedules of those 21 teams and by guesstimating week 8 and 9 results you will have your own opinion on whether BR will be 7a or 8A.
For example if a current 3-4 8A team still has to play Lincoln-Way Easy or East st.Louis Lincoln or Loyola you can pretty much safely assume they won’t get to five wins.
Do that guesstimating for all 21 teams that are 3-4 or 4-3 and bigger than BR and you will have your own educated guess.

For the Brother Rice fan, If u have this afternoon to kill and like guesstimating, you have all the info you need on ihsa website to guess where BR will wind up in two weeks.
If they are in fact the largest school listed by the ihsa in 7A, then here’s what you do: the Ihsa lists 42 8A size schools still with a shot to get to 5 wins. The ihsa actually lists 43 but chicago curie got running clocked in their week 8 game and now have 5 losses so I scratch them out.
Yes some 4-5 teams likely will be in the playoffs but there is zero way to guess which teams that might be right now as it brings all 2-5 teams into play. Anyway 21 schools higher than BR already have 5 wins so you can pretty much pencil them in. That leaves 21 teams currently 4-3 or 3-4 bigger than BR that can still get to 5 wins.
Look at remaining schedules of those 21 teams and by guesstimating week 8 and 9 results you will have your own opinion on whether BR will be 7a or 8A.
For example if a current 3-4 8A team still has to play Lincoln-Way Easy or East st.Louis Lincoln or Loyola you can pretty much safely assume they won’t get to five wins.
Do that guesstimating for all 21 teams that are 3-4 or 4-3 and bigger than BR and you will have your own educated guess.
Thanks. Much clearer now. I think I will just watch that Dahmer on Netflix.

I was bored this morning

If Belleview East-Rich Township-Conant win there are (30) 5-4 teams in 8A based on records, these three should win.

There are 5 (OPRF, HC, New Trier, Bartlett, Joliet West) other teams that are 4-4 that could win and make it as well and then there is the whole 4-5 team thing that could fill more spots. Those 5 have tough games so this is just as guess that those teams go 3-5 but seeing as all are 4-4, them going 4-4 as a whole would make sense.

Glenbard East and Andrew move up if those three win. If two or less win BR is 7A. IF they go 4-4 Andrew stays in 7A and if they go 5-3 Glenbard East stays in 7A.

That is on a napkin so if it does not play out that way I promise to never try that again.

Also it looks like if BR goes to 8A with a 5-4 or 6-3 record they will be a higher seed than if they stay in 7A .....Brother Rice losing Friday and going to 8A may not be the worst thing. That could give Marist a round 2 game v Loyola depending on how things paly out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT