ADVERTISEMENT

Availability of TV coverage

MC63

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lake County
My post won't really be a concern to most sports fans because the majority of us have high definition cable or dish television However, those with lower grade Comcast service were caught short when NBC Chicago Sports switched game coverage from the regular channel to "Plus."

Plus, of course is broadcast in HD. But, unlike the regular channel, it doesn't always have backup service in Standard Definition (SD).

For Sox and Cub games, for example, the SD broadcast would be seen on channel 53, and CLTV's news (so to speak) would be temporarily blacked out.

But for prep football, there was no game shown on channel 53 tonight -- just news repeats and Colon Blaster commercials.

Perhaps if the IHSA was aware of this, they could have made arrangements with Comcast to permit the SD broadcast. There are lots of people who don't care about HD or can't afford it.

My post won't really be a concern to most sports fans because the majority of us have high definition cable or dish television However, those with lower grade Comcast service were caught short when NBC Chicago Sports switched game coverage from the regular channel to "Plus."

Plus, of course is broadcast in HD. But, unlike the regular channel, it doesn't always have backup service in Standard Definition (SD).

For Sox and Cub games, for example, the SD broadcast would be seen on channel 53, and CLTV's news (so to speak) would be temporarily blacked out.

But for prep football, there was no game shown on channel 53 tonight -- just news repeats and Colon Blaster commercials.

Perhaps if the IHSA was aware of this, they could have made arrangements with Comcast to permit the SD broadcast. There are lots of people who don't care about HD or can't afford it.

Again not sure about the whole issue or that it was even an issue to be honest. I just know that the games were made available online as well and in an era where media is cutting more and more jobs (at least 25 last week at NBC Sports Chicago) and people "cutting the cord"...just have a feeling this won't be a high priority.

Last edited:

But for prep football, there was no game shown on channel 53 tonight,/QUOTE]
Actually, I am a lower-tier Xfinity/Comcast subscriber and I was able to find, via a channel finder link, an NBCSC+ at location 109 "on the dial." I did not even know before yesterday that it existed, but it even was available on the TVs without the "on demand" box.

The late game last night I couldn’t find on dish network the other games were on 412 but the 8a game I couldn’t find anywhere. Not a big deal to me. I looked at the website and said the channel it moved to was not available with the hopper?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT