ADVERTISEMENT

All Time Illinois NFL Players by High School

Interesting. Thanks for posting. I believe it only displays players to make the active roster - not practice squad.

Crazy ESL, MC and Loyola all have none active
I find it interesting Edwardsville has 3 playing now and Belleville 2. When most people up North think of that conference the just think of ESL. When I think of MC, Loyola, SR, JCA, Marist .... I think of how many are now in college getting quality education. In fact I'd like to see a stat of how many young men are currently in college playing football that attended CCL and ESCC high schools.

Steve Wirtel is an MC Alum and was the Packers long snapper last year but did not make is not on the roster this year. Outside of him it’s been many years since MC had a player on the active roster. Steve Richardson, Jordan Lynch and Arthur Ray were the last 3 to my memory that were in NFL camps.

LA doesn’t send as many players as many think to D1 or pros. And that’s not a knock on the program. Many of their top players play in the Ivy or Patriot League.

Steve Wirtel is an MC Alum and was the Packers long snapper last year but did not make is not on the roster this year. Outside of him it’s been many years since MC had a player on the active roster. Steve Richardson, Jordan Lynch and Arthur Ray were the last 3 to my memory that were in NFL camps.

LA doesn’t send as many players as many think to D1 or pros. And that’s not a knock on the program. Many of their top players play in the Ivy or Patriot League.
The late and great Glenn Foster RIP

It was great having Dennis Lick play for the Bears where we could watch him play for 6 seasons.

Any player making a NFL roster is big accomplishment. All of the schools listed should be proud. One stat that sticks out for me about St. Rita is they had 7 different players make NFL teams in 7 years from 2011 thru 2017. Kenny Golladay is still playing for the NY Giants and Pat O'Connor is playing for Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Both players made the NFL in 2017.

Thornton high school in Harvey had 6 alums on NFL rosters for the 2001 season. I heard at the time was the most of any high school in the USA. They added 2 more in 2002 but a few fell off. Very impressive - 8 alums in the NFL 2001 and 2002.

Of that 96 MC team, Steve Edwards wasn't even a fulltime starter and I believe Darrell Hill didn't even play football until his Junior year. and rode the bench that year. Yet they were the two who made it to the NFL.

Not seeing TE Daniel Helm of Chatham who played in regular season games for both the 49er’s and the Raiders.

Also thought Eric Peterman of SHG played briefly for the Bears, but maybe he was only on the practice squad.

For Rochester, Garret Dooley, who was on the Vikings and Lions practice squads, has come closest but no Rocket has played in a regular season game yet.

It was great having Dennis Lick play for the Bears where we could watch him play for 6 seasons.

Any player making a NFL roster is big accomplishment. All of the schools listed should be proud. One stat that sticks out for me about St. Rita is they had 7 different players make NFL teams in 7 years from 2011 thru 2017. Kenny Golladay is still playing for the NY Giants and Pat O'Connor is playing for Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Both players made the NFL in 2017.
Golloday didn’t have the best year but he made the catch of his life yesterday!! Great grab!

I'm shocked.

After all the strutting by the ESL people here, you would think that they would have 25 players in the NFL.

Yet, here we find that they have as many as my old high school (Lake Forest Academy).

The other shocker for me was that my old school has as many players make it to the NFL as Joliet Catholic.

Thornton high school in Harvey had 6 alums on NFL rosters for the 2001 season. I heard at the time was the most of any high school in the USA. They added 2 more in 2002 but a few fell off. Very impressive - 8 alums in the NFL 2001 and 2002.
1990’s Thornton football had unmatched talent they were amazing and such a consistent power, sad to see them fall off.

Reactions: Quags57
I'm shocked.

After all the strutting by the ESL people here, you would think that they would have 25 players in the NFL.

Yet, here we find that they have as many as my old high school (Lake Forest Academy).

The other shocker for me was that my old school has as many players make it to the NFL as Joliet Catholic.
Sunk talks about hetting boys out of the coty, not into the pros. He is successful at that.

I'm shocked.

JCA just does more with the talent they have than LFA.

Not only that, but Loyola only had one player in the NFL since 1986, and he only lasted one season. Over half of Loyola's 13 players were from the 1920s and 1930s.

Not only that, but Loyola only had one player in the NFL since 1986, and he only lasted one season. Over half of Loyola's 13 players were from the 1920s and 1930s.
A lot of web sites list 3.3 years as the average NFL career, so lasting one season is not uncommon. Looking at MC's players they had three that lasted more than a decade. Donovan McNabb, Simeon Rice, and Chris Calloway all played for more than a decade. That's well above the norm.

When a player gets hurt the next guy in line takes his place. Unless you can come back 100% quickly your spot is gone. Plus I think when a player gets hurt, and he has a few years, those longevity raises kick in. A lot of players get released for a cheaper player. The salary cap may end as many careers as injuries.

Last edited:
Yeah that's mind blowing

Watch Kreutz make it as a 6-2 lineman

I'm shocked.

To be fair, even Uncle Rico didn’t make the NFL.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I'm shocked.

Odd approach to things

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT