ADVERTISEMENT

6A South

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Crete has to be the favorite to come out of the south right? Providence and SHG not far behind. The fact Peoria can not stop anyone and has two losses makes me think it is a 3 horse race.

Crete has to be the favorite to come out of the south right? Providence and SHG not far behind. The fact Peoria can not stop anyone and has two losses makes me think it is a 3 horse race.
Seems about right. Maybe Richards or Lemont could spring an upset and crash the party. I'd say they are on the tier below Provi and SHG (although SHG lost to Decatur Mac).

Normal West should not be overlooked.

The North is going to be a bloodbath.
PR
NAZ
Marmion
Montini
DeKalb
Cary
and a surprising Lakes team...

Reactions: Gene K.
Lakes is consistently good but yet to get over the hump of beating someone like those mentioned above. Maybe this year.

I would put Providence about even with Crete as a favorite, assuming the Celtics get in. I noticed that they ALREADY have 32 playoff points after only 5 weeks of play. Playing that kind of competition will only help them when meeting 6A teams. Agree on your point regarding Peoria not being able to stop anyone.

Would not put SHG as one of the favorites, however. If they get healthy, they could pull an upset on some team, but I see them being a legitimate favorite in only a first round game (assuming they go 8-1). If Rochester beats them in week 7, I think their stock goes down considerably.

Although their defense appears quite strong, the fact that Lemont does not score a lot of points would make me hesitant to pick them among the 6A South favorites.

Oak Lawn Richards should be a team to be cautious of, but I do not think they would be a challenge to either Crete or Providence if indeed these two are considered the favorites. Although seeding is usually significant come playoff time, I think it will be especially so this year in the 6A bracket since I still don't see a runaway favorite in this group as you will have in the North.

I would put Providence about even with Crete as a favorite, assuming the Celtics get in. I noticed that they ALREADY have 32 playoff points after only 5 weeks of play. Playing that kind of competition will only help them when meeting 6A teams. Agree on your point regarding Peoria not being able to stop anyone.

Would not put SHG as one of the favorites, however. If they get healthy, they could pull an upset on some team, but I see them being a legitimate favorite in only a first round game (assuming they go 8-1). If Rochester beats them in week 7, I think their stock goes down considerably.

Although their defense appears quite strong, the fact that Lemont does not score a lot of points would make me hesitant to pick them among the 6A South favorites.

Oak Lawn Richards should be a team to be cautious of, but I do not think they would be a challenge to either Crete or Providence if indeed these two are considered the favorites. Although seeding is usually significant come playoff time, I think it will be especially so this year in the 6A bracket since I still don't see a runaway favorite in this group as you will have in the North.

I looked at provys first three games, ESL, Vianney, and SR. Vianney is #1 in the largest class in MO and in the MO state polls period. Rivals has Vianney at 73 in the nation. For comparison, LWE is ranked #79 in the nation by rivals. So basically, PC's first 3 games were vs. the #1 team in 7A, the #1 team in 8A and the #5 team in 7A. Impressive. Crazy but impressive.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
We might get a 7-2 SHG vs 6-3 Providence Round One.

We might get a 7-2 SHG vs 6-3 Providence Round One.

Seems like you have thought about this at least a little bit. Do you have any thoughts about a possible first round game should Providence go 7-2? When all is said and done, I still think that the Celtics and Crete-Monee are probably the teams to beat, but as usual matchups will be key. I am interested to see how many 5-4 teams, if any, are in the South Bracket. I believe right now we are looking at a # 1 seed being 8-1(and maybe even a 2nd and 3rd seed). Assuming we have three 5-4 teams or two 5-4 teams and a low-point 6-3 team playing the top seeds, we would have five games matching records of 6-3 with 7-2 record teams or even two 7-2s going at it. No deep analysis here, just what I have gathered from the IHSA site under Football Playoff Outlook. Thoughts anyone?

There will be no 9-0 and My guess is Springfield will be only 5-4. Possibly TFS but dont think they lose again. Providence would be 4 or 5 depending on how many 8-1 are south at 7-2. They will be highest 6-3 or highest 7-2. Stl will be highest 7-2 unless pc wins out.

There will be no 9-0 and My guess is Springfield will be only 5-4. Possibly TFS but dont think they lose again. Providence would be 4 or 5 depending on how many 8-1 are south at 7-2. They will be highest 6-3 or highest 7-2. Stl will be highest 7-2 unless pc wins out.

Thanks. Yeah, I agree with you about Springfield, especially if SHG can continue playing like the last quarter and a half against Rochester. TFS would do itself a huge favor to go 6-3. No use going 5-4 and have to depend on their opponents giving them the required points. They have 32 now, so they may be ok, but there are some weak sisters on their schedule.

Looks like we may have 4/5 Chicagoland vs Central IL matchups in round one. Should be fun.

There are so many more 9-0 and 8-1 in the North. I wonder if the IHSA draws a crazy line to balance it out.

There are so many more 9-0 and 8-1 in the North. I wonder if the IHSA draws a crazy line to balance it out.

The line is pretty cut and dried. Now if Glenwood gets bumped down or Peroia loses I would expect Naz to be south.

The bloodbath that we all expected in the North is no longer..fancy moves by IHSA. South bracket contains 7 of the top 10 teams in the state for 6A hmmm..

The bloodbath that we all expected in the North is no longer..fancy moves by IHSA. South bracket contains 7 of the top 10 teams in the state for 6A hmmm..

It is actually geographically correct. And I was right on Normal West.

Not a one hit wonder. Made it to state in ‘15 and lost to a great Montini team. Just some perplexing 1st rd/early exits based on expectations since ‘13. Could be coaching with all the assistants leaving in the last 3 years or just 6a getting much better.

Not a one hit wonder. Made it to state in ‘15 and lost to a great Montini team. Just some perplexing 1st rd/early exits based on expectations since ‘13. Could be coaching with all the assistants leaving in the last 3 years or just 6a getting much better.

30 Degree weather with wind did them in. Not a good night if you were a team that likes to throw a lot.

30 Degree weather with wind did them in. Not a good night if you were a team that likes to throw a lot.

As a player and especially a fan I’ve always liked Saturday afternoon games for the playoffs since the weather is usually much better then playing at night.

Best game of Round 2? Interested to hear thoughts on where the bracket stands after the CM debacle

Providence is a level above everyone else.

Naz will have a tough trip in two weeks to SHG. That should be interesting.

Providence is a level above everyone else.

Naz will have a tough trip in two weeks to SHG. That should be interesting.
I don’t see any way this Naz team survives 3 weeks of @SHG, @Providence and PR @NIU.

Next year... that’s another story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT