ADVERTISEMENT

618 Talk Week 2

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
A thread to talk about some of the bigger 618 teams(Southern Illinois).

Mt. Vernon truly is back
It seemed the Rams were legit week 1 after a dominant win over Taylorville. They confirmed that hypothesis this past week after giving Mascoutah all they could handle. The state ranked Indians escaped 43-36 with a score in the final minute, but the Rams showed everyone they are a threat.

Can the Rams make a run for the South Seven crown though?
It certainly seems possible as the other two front runners(Marion and Cahokia) have looked beatable. Worth noting that Marion is coming off a nice 48-22 outing over Jersey to go 2-0 and Cahokia put some miles on the bus this past week before falling 53-12 to Homewood Flossmoor. This should be an interesting conference to watch once S7 play starts in week 4.

Other S7 scores: Centralia(2-0) 58-12 Olney, Carbondale(1-1) 34-32 Granite City and St. Teresa 58-0 Althoff(1-1)

The City of Champions lives up to its name
East Side left CBC(a top STL squad) in the dust with a 64-19. The highlight reel and stat book show that “Pops” Battle put out a quality performance to push his team up to 1-1.

Edwardsville + O’Fallon stay unbeaten
Starting with the Tigers, they take another hard fought game after beating Highland 31-28. I do think this result says more for the Bulldogs however as a 5A squad who nearly tackled an 8A powerhouse, but this was still a nice win for the hosting Tigers.
The Panthers hosted Troy, MO and delivered a 35-13 verdict. I’m not really familiar with Troy, but they seemed to be viewed as a good program across the river. Troy’s standout, four-star defensive end didn’t seem to affect quarterback Colt Michael who finished 15/22 for 221 yards and 3 touchdowns in the air.

Other Southwestern scores: Pekin 22-13 Belleville East(1-1), O’Fallon(MO.) 45-0 Belleville West and Quincy 48-3 Alton(2-0)

Mississippi Valley Conference Goes 1-5
The MVC started their year off right with a 6-0 mark in week 1, but this week wasn’t so bountiful for the conference of 4A/5A squads.
Mascoutah delivered the lone win in their aforementioned battle with Mt. Vernon. Allen Middleton was arguably the star of all three phases of the game after leading the team in tackles, returning a kickoff for a touchdown and leading the team in receiving yardage.
Highland’s close loss to Edwardsville at 31-28 may be the most impressive MVC finish of the week though. The three headed monster of Wuebbels, Altadonna and Porter are going to give their remaining opponents plenty of problems and I think they should be favorites for the remainder of their schedule.
The third co-champion of the conference last year, Triad, had a rough outing as they fell 29-14 to Collinsville. Statbook says the Knights coughed up the ball four times, not going to win many games like that. Big game for them this week as they look to rebound against Mt. Vernon.

Other MVC Scores: Columbia 6-0 Waterloo(1-1), East Alton-Wood River 20-3 Civic Memorial(1-1) and Marion 48-22 Jerseyville(1-1).

Milk Bowl stays with Mater Dei
One of the biggest rivalries in the 618 is that between Breese Central and Breese Mater Dei. Mater Dei improved to 1-1 on the year and picked up the trophy for the fifth time in a row thanks to a 27-14 verdict that dropped Breese to 1-1 as well.

Games to watch Week 3:

Friday
East St. Louis @ Fairside, GA 6:30 pm
Marion @ Highland 7:00 pm
Mt. Vernon @ Triad 7:00 pm
O’Fallon @ Waubonsie Valley 7:00 pm

A thread to talk about some of the bigger 618 teams(Southern Illinois).

Mt. Vernon truly is back
It seemed the Rams were legit week 1 after a dominant win over Taylorville. They confirmed that hypothesis this past week after giving Mascoutah all they could handle. The state ranked Indians escaped 43-36 with a score in the final minute, but the Rams showed everyone they are a threat.

Can the Rams make a run for the South Seven crown though?
It certainly seems possible as the other two front runners(Marion and Cahokia) have looked beatable. Worth noting that Marion is coming off a nice 48-22 outing over Jersey to go 2-0 and Cahokia put some miles on the bus this past week before falling 53-12 to Homewood Flossmoor. This should be an interesting conference to watch once S7 play starts in week 4.

Other S7 scores: Centralia(2-0) 58-12 Olney, Carbondale(1-1) 34-32 Granite City and St. Teresa 58-0 Althoff(1-1)

The City of Champions lives up to its name
East Side left CBC(a top STL squad) in the dust with a 64-19. The highlight reel and stat book show that “Pops” Battle put out a quality performance to push his team up to 1-1.

Edwardsville + O’Fallon stay unbeaten
Starting with the Tigers, they take another hard fought game after beating Highland 31-28. I do think this result says more for the Bulldogs however as a 5A squad who nearly tackled an 8A powerhouse, but this was still a nice win for the hosting Tigers.
The Panthers hosted Troy, MO and delivered a 35-13 verdict. I’m not really familiar with Troy, but they seemed to be viewed as a good program across the river. Troy’s standout, four-star defensive end didn’t seem to affect quarterback Colt Michael who finished 15/22 for 221 yards and 3 touchdowns in the air.

Other Southwestern scores: Pekin 22-13 Belleville East(1-1), O’Fallon(MO.) 45-0 Belleville West and Quincy 48-3 Alton(2-0)

Mississippi Valley Conference Goes 1-5
The MVC started their year off right with a 6-0 mark in week 1, but this week wasn’t so bountiful for the conference of 4A/5A squads.
Mascoutah delivered the lone win in their aforementioned battle with Mt. Vernon. Allen Middleton was arguably the star of all three phases of the game after leading the team in tackles, returning a kickoff for a touchdown and leading the team in receiving yardage.
Highland’s close loss to Edwardsville at 31-28 may be the most impressive MVC finish of the week though. The three headed monster of Wuebbels, Altadonna and Porter are going to give their remaining opponents plenty of problems and I think they should be favorites for the remainder of their schedule.
The third co-champion of the conference last year, Triad, had a rough outing as they fell 29-14 to Collinsville. Statbook says the Knights coughed up the ball four times, not going to win many games like that. Big game for them this week as they look to rebound against Mt. Vernon.

Other MVC Scores: Columbia 6-0 Waterloo(1-1), East Alton-Wood River 20-3 Civic Memorial(1-1) and Marion 48-22 Jerseyville(1-1).

Milk Bowl stays with Mater Dei
One of the biggest rivalries in the 618 is that between Breese Central and Breese Mater Dei. Mater Dei improved to 1-1 on the year and picked up the trophy for the fifth time in a row thanks to a 27-14 verdict that dropped Breese to 1-1 as well.

Games to watch Week 3:

Friday
East St. Louis @ Fairside, GA 6:30 pm
Marion @ Highland 7:00 pm
Mt. Vernon @ Triad 7:00 pm
O’Fallon @ Waubonsie Valley 7:00 pm
Thanks for posting this!

Reactions: Formicidae13
My picks for week 3 are:

ESL over Fairside (by a lot)
Marion over Highland
Mount Vernon over Triad
O'Fallon over Waubonsie
Edwardsville over Soldan
I like all of these picks except Marion. Highland has really impressed me so far.

Triad vs Mt. Vernon may be the toughest pick of all. Massey says Triad -20, but Calpreps says Mt. Vernon -2. I’ll pick Triad for homefield advantage, but it feels like a toss up.

I like all of these picks except Marion. Highland has really impressed me so far.

Triad vs Mt. Vernon may be the toughest pick of all. Massey says Triad -20, but Calpreps says Mt. Vernon -2. I’ll pick Triad for homefield advantage, but it feels like a toss up.
You may be right! I look forward to this weekend and the rest of the season. Come playoff time, I think that ESL will do very well. Not so sure about everyone else, but I certainly will be rooting for the entire 618!

My picks for week 3 are:

ESL over Fairside (by a lot)
Marion over Highland
Mount Vernon over Triad
O'Fallon over Waubonsie
Edwardsville over

big plays and turnovers decide highland/marion, rooting for marion great 618 game to watch, last non conference games till week 9.

They are 0-2 but lost to two national power type schools so....
You and FlyerForLife are probably right, but at the moment, I see the Flyers winning this one by at least 12. Not saying that I'd bet the house on it though! lol

*And I see that they're 0-3*

Last edited:
Reactions: EdgyTim
no need to rant or make excuses , very weird game to watch but non the less highland out playing marion badly 35-8 halftime
Watching this game and there is no mystery, total domination by Highland. Passing game can do whatever it wants.

Gonna say this ESL has alot of work to do on offense right now I would not consider them a top 5 in state need to work on o- line and especially center and long snapper loses to creek side 10-8. Not taking anything away from creekside defense pretty good but no way the flyers should have lost the 2 games they lost this year. Again should have won this game

I certainly got that one WAAAAY wrong! LOL
I certainly got that one WAAAAY wrong! LOL
unfortunately.. they aren’t ready
Watching this game and there is no mystery, total domination by Highland. Passing game can do whatever it wants.
marion out coached no adjustments on d till 2nd half is why i said weird game to watch, out coached completely along with very experienced skill positions be inexperienced skilled positions IMO

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT