ADVERTISEMENT

Surprise! The Good Way and The Not So Good ....

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
The Good (so far)

2-0 so far....

Lincoln
- Been down for a long time but did go 4-5 in 2021.....

Carmel- Lots of young talent here and look for the Corsairs to make some major moves over the next two plus seasons. No fluke here.

UHigh- Reality could strike UHigh starting this week against Glenwood.

Niles West- A nice start for the Wolves and while I don't see 5 wins here this season...I maybe see 4?

St. Charles East- Been wondering when this proud program would begin a turnaround. Certainly not overwhelming wins over overwhelming opponents,,, but two wins are two wins.

Ridgewood- Ok so a win and a forfeit win here for the Rebels....but they are already ahead of last year's 1-8 so yeah...enjoy Ridgewood fans.

Elk Grove- I mentioned on the EDGY Nation side earlier this summer that the Grens just seemed like a much different looking program and so far so good. HC Miles Osei is one of the good guys and this team just looked bigger stronger and better across the board...but can they get 5 wins in the MSL East? It's possible.

Guilford- Just nice seeing the Vikings get to 2-0 over two decent NIC-10 opponents...and while the next two weeks will suck (Harlem and Hononegah) can they get to 5 wins? Maybe?

Argo- For Argonauts fans and those about to rock and get burritos at 2AM on a Tuesday night.... we salute you! HC Phillips Rossberg for Mayor!

Stagg- Sure the excitement ends on Friday night hosting LW Beast, but can the Chargers make a run to 5 wins? Maybe?

Proviso West- The Panthers next 5 opponents are a combined 10-0...so enjoy this Proviso West fans! Celebrate today!

Quincy- The Blue Devils went 4-5 in 2021 but have two decent early wins here already and in the whacky Wester Big 6 (?)...I mean can Quincy make a run for the top tier in the conference? I say a definitely maybe.

The Not So Good (so far)

0-2 so far....

Effingham
The Flaming Hears have been $$$ under Brett Heffner and two tough opponents (Decatur St Theresa/Mahomet Seymour) no question are a factor here. Expect more wins to follow soon.

Vernon Hills A slow start for sure including a one point loss last Friday to Lakes ut VH will bounce back

New Trier Yeah this is one of the weird ones so far...and scoring just 7 points in two weeks isn't a great start for the Trevs.

Crystal Lake Central The Tigers have lost to two top opponents in Huntley and Jacobs....but in the FVC things never get any easier.

Bishop McNamara Another stunner at least in my eyes.Let just say it's been a strange year for the Mighty Macs.

St. Edward St. Ed's is on it's all points away from Elgin tour so far hosting Platteville Wisconsin then at Taylorville...and the Wave will see better days ahead this fall.

Washington Maybe the biggest stunner of all. No question the early schedule is strong (Highland and Kankakee) and I just didn't see a bad team at all this summer in person. Veteran head coach Darrel Crouch will get things going.

Buffalo Grove The Bison have lost to two 8A programs in two weeks and could change things around as early as this week against Highland Park.

Barrington Another shocker in my eyes. The Broncos have just reloaded so much over the years and made it look easy. I also have a ton of trust in this staff but the schedule won't get any easier this week against Swagger High.

Lake Forest I mean is this even allowed under IHSA rules?

Antioch The Och have played two strong teams in up and coming Carmel and Morris and while Lakes will be looking to land a body blow this Friday, don't count this team out.

TF South A combination of the transfer portal and key injuries have not helped the Red Wolves whatsoever.

Hillcrest Two opening games against Catholic schools (Rice and Montini) no question is a factor and this week against Shepard should tell us more about the Hawks.

Richards Yep looks strange to me as well...that is until you look at the schedule and see early losses to Morgan Park and Marist.....and the Doggies still have Lemont awaiting later this season.

Plainfield Central The Wildcats will be just fine once they get into East conference play and I can see them possibly winning the auto bid.

Oswego No question a shocker. The Panthers will fatten up the next few weeks then it's gut check time in what could be a great SWPWest conference race. Teams in the West this year just won't roll over to Oswego in 2022.

Sandburg The Eagles had high expectations this fall but the schedule and a few early key injuries have played a roll. Remember....this team also got off to a slow start in 2021.

Hinsdale South The Hornets just missed the playoffs in 2021 and will fare better inside the West Sub Gold schedule.

Willowbrook Ok so it's official....I can never rank Willowbrook high in the preseason ever again. In all fairness, the Warriors always schedule up for non conference (NND/DGN) plus they are also traditionally a slower starting team.Do not give up on this team....not quite yet.

Downers Grove South The Mustangs have also lost to two strong teams in Wheaton North and GBW and have another this week in rival DGN.....yet this is another team you can bail out on just yet. Week 4 against the team listed above this one will be a HUGE game for both DGS and Willowbrook.

Last edited:
All.... As was the case last season Lincoln has a shot to get five wins. The Railsplitters are favorites in three future games. Week 6 in Mattoon and week eight home against Taylorville. Their big game is this Friday against Jerseyville in Lincoln. On paper this one looks to be close but they should win. The town will go nuts if they go 5-4 and play some postseason football! Ratsy

Lincoln last in the playoffs in 1984.

Very true comment about U High Friday at Chatham.

Looking at their schedule they could easily finish 7-2, 6-3 and maybe better
From Antioch's perspective.......I knew some of their young skills were good, but that Oline and defense was very solid. I believe they have a new D coordinator and that side of the ball looked like a serious improvement more than anything else.

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
Spread.
QB doesn’t pull and go much, however.
Still young and a season away IMO with
major gaps on the D side, still.
5-4 is my prediction.

Last edited:
The Good (so far)

2-0 so far....

Lincoln

Carmel- Lots of young talent here and look for the Corsairs to make some major moves over the next two plus seasons. No fluke here.

Niles West- A nice start for the Wolves and while I don't see 5 wins here this season...I maybe see 4?

St. Charles East- Been wondering when this proud program would begin a turnaround. Certainly not overwhelming wins over overwhelming opponents,,, but two wins are two wins.

Ridgewood- Ok so a win and a forfeit win here for the Rebels....but they are already ahead of last year's 1-8 so yeah...enjoy Ridgewood fans.

Elk Grove- I mentioned on the EDGY Nation side earlier this summer that the Grens just seemed like a much different looking program and so far so good. HC Miles Osei is one of the good guys and this team just looked bigger stronger and better across the board...but can they get 5 wins in the MSL East? It's possible.

Guilford- Just nice seeing the Vikings get to 2-0 over two decent NIC-10 opponents...and while the next two weeks will suck (Harlem and Hononegah) can they get to 5 wins? Maybe?

Argo- For Argonauts fans and those about to rock and get burritos at 2AM on a Tuesday night.... we salute you! HC Phillips Rossberg for Mayor!

Stagg- Sure the excitement ends on Friday night hosting LW Beast, but can the Chargers make a run to 5 wins? Maybe?

Proviso West- The Panthers next 5 opponents are a combined 10-0...so enjoy this Proviso West fans! Celebrate today!

Quincy- The Blue Devils went 4-5 in 2021 but have two decent early wins here already and in the whacky Wester Big 6 (?)...I mean can Quincy make a run for the top tier in the conference? I say a definitely maybe.

The Not So Good (so far)

0-2 so far....

Effingham
The Flaming Hears have been $$$ under Brett Heffner and two tough opponents (Decatur St Theresa/Mahomet Seymour) no question are a factor here. Expect more wins to follow soon.

Vernon Hills A slow start for sure including a one point loss last Friday to Lakes ut VH will bounce back

New Trier Yeah this is one of the weird ones so far...and scoring just 7 points in two weeks isn't a great start for the Trevs.

Crystal Lake Central The Tigers have lost to two top opponents in Huntley and Jacobs....but in the FVC things never get any easier.

Bishop McNamara Another stunner at least in my eyes.Let just say it's been a strange year for the Mighty Macs.

St. Edward St. Ed's is on it's all points away from Elgin tour so far hosting Platteville Wisconsin then at Taylorville...and the Wave will see better days ahead this fall.

Washington Maybe the biggest stunner of all. No question the early schedule is strong (Highland and Kankakee) and I just didn't see a bad team at all this summer in person. Veteran head coach Darrel Crouch will get things going.

Buffalo Grove The Bison have lost to two 8A programs in two weeks and could change things around as early as this week against Highland Park.

Barrington Another shocker in my eyes. The Broncos have just reloaded so much over the years and made it look easy. I also have a ton of trust in this staff but the schedule won't get any easier this week against Swagger High.

Antioch The Och have played two strong teams in up and coming Carmel and Morris and while Lakes will be looking to land a body blow this Friday, don't count this team out.

TF South A combination of the transfer portal and key injuries have not helped the Red Wolves whatsoever.

Hillcrest Two opening games against Catholic schools (Rice and Montini) no question is a factor and this week against Shepard should tell us more about the Hawks.

Richards Yep looks strange to me as well...that is until you look at the schedule and see early losses to Morgan Park and Marist.....and the Doggies still have Lemont awaiting later this season.

Plainfield Central The Wildcats will be just fine once they get into East conference play and I can see them possibly winning the auto bid.

Oswego No question a shocker. The Panthers will fatten up the next few weeks then it's gut check time in what could be a great SWPWest conference race. Teams in the West this year just won't roll over to Oswego in 2022.

Sandburg The Eagles had high expectations this fall but the schedule and a few early key injuries have played a roll. Remember....this team also got off to a slow start in 2021.

Hinsdale South The Hornets just missed the playoffs in 2021 and will fare better inside the West Sub Gold schedule.

Willowbrook Ok so it's official....I can never rank Willowbrook high in the preseason ever again. In all fairness, the Warriors always schedule up for non conference (NND/DGN) plus they are also traditionally a slower starting team.Do not give up on this team....not quite yet.

Downers Grove South The Mustangs have also lost to two strong teams in Wheaton North and GBW and have another this week in rival DGN.....yet this is another team you can bail out on just yet. Week 4 against the team listed above this one will be a HUGE game for both DGS and Willowbrook.

I could see Elk Grove having up to 7 wins. They’ll win their next two non-cons, then they could also beat BG, Meadows and Wheeing. Don’t think they have the fire power for hersey and prospect.

The Good (so far)

2-0 so far....

Lincoln

The Not So Good (so far)

0-2 so far....

Effingham

I don’t think Mac losing to Coal City is stunning at all.. guys that I know that follow Mac say they are an average 2A team at best with very weak like play.. I also think this is the current trans for Mac football, lower levels have poor numbers and most of the talent is staying at Kankakee HS with their recent success..

Coach Murphy has the Cardinals flying high! Richards falls to 0-3 Friday night in Blue Island.

New trier may go 1-8 this year. They are horrible. Likely only win over Niles west. And that isn’t guaranteed.

Maine south and Evanston could hang 70 on them

Reactions: crusader_of_90
New trier may go 1-8 this year. They are horrible. Likely only win over Niles west. And that isn’t guaranteed.

Maine south and Evanston could hang 70 on them
What’s your prediction vs. Palatine this Friday?

Downers South... from 1984 to 2011 they were one of the top, consistently strong large school programs. NN's 2nd playoff win ever came in an epic battle with DGS in 1987 at North Central College. I think it was triple overtime. NN and DGS often faced each other in the playoffs during this period.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cross Bones
Downers South... from 1984 to 2011 they were one of the top, consistently strong large school programs. NN's 2nd playoff win ever came in an epic battle with DGS in 1987 at North Central College. I think it was triple overtime. NN and DGS often faced each other in the playoffs during period.
You had to bring up 1984 Downers Grove South before I retire for the night. There goes another hole in the drywall…

Downers South... from 1984 to 2011 they were one of the top, consistently strong large school programs. NN's 2nd playoff win ever came in an epic battle with DGS in 1987 at North Central College. I think it was triple overtime. NN and DGS often faced each other in the playoffs during this period.
Wonder if Belskis saw the writing on the wall? Or Belskis leaving is the reason? Or Bailey's 5 TD night was so devastating in 2011 that no one could recover from that night?

Reactions: RockSoup
All.... Railsplitters best chance to get an opportunity for five wins takes a hit. Leading by one in the third quarter they lose to Jerseyville 26-14. Still a favorite to beat Mattoon and Taylorville now they will have to steal one. Ratsy

Congrats to Guilford again for a big when over Harlem this week, especially after losing to the always tough Hononegah. Even during that loss they played tough, disciplined and their running back Jones is a stud. They should make the playoffs after a long drought.

I could see Elk Grove having up to 7 wins. They’ll win their next two non-cons, then they could also beat BG, Meadows and Wheeing. Don’t think they have the fire power for hersey and prospect.
Bump. What’s Elk Grove’s record?

I thought Quincy looked really good against Sterling with their short passing attack. Sterling could not defend it and they took the game into over time. Sterling prevailed in the end. Maybe it was the 3 hour bus ride? They finished 3rd in the conference I believe and made the playoffs but I don’t think they will make too deep of a run because of their defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT