ADVERTISEMENT

IHSA reaction to a new concussion lawsuit

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Sorry was out most of the day yesterday here is the IHSA release

IHSA Statement on Concussion Lawsuit[/B]

The Illinois High School Association (IHSA) was founded more than 100 years ago upon the belief that participation in high school sports and activities helps make young people better citizens.

High school sports create everlasting bonds among teammates and coaches, and contribute to the fabric of communities throughout Illinois and the United States. Working in conjunction with partners like the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) and the Illinois General Assembly, the IHSA draws input from top leaders in the sports medicine community. We solicit their expertise regularly and apply best practices in all events.

Risk minimization for high school student-athletes in all sports, including football, has been and will continue to be a top priority for the Association. We believe that since the IHSA began sanctioning football competition, the safety procedures and protocols in place for high school football have been on par with, or have exceeded, those that exist around the country, regardless of the level of football. We recognize that in the past decade new concerns have been raised about the game of football. The IHSA, the Illinois State Legislature, local school boards, and the high school coaches who are on the practice fields every day are all working together to address these concerns.

While this lawsuit alleges that it exists to help aid in that matter, simply put, high school football should not be subject to being dismantled or reassembled. Those who oversee safety measures on a day-to-day basis are the people best equipped to address these improvements, not those operating within the courts.

At its core, high school football is not college football, nor is it the NFL, and for the vast majority of these young players this is the highest level at which they will compete. The IHSA bears that in mind as it continues to bring safer standards of play to practice, games and off-season workouts.

A lawsuit's attempt to lump all levels of football together has far-reaching implications, potential repercussions that threaten the future of all high school sports for the millions of students around the country who annually benefit from their participation experiences.

The Illinois High School Association will hold a press conference on Friday, December 5 at 11:00 AM at Lincoln-Way West High School (21701 S. Gougar Road, New Lenox, IL 60451) to further discuss this litigation. Given the high school's security policies, all attendees must RSVP their planned attendance to mtroha@ihsa.org by Thursday at 3:00 p.m. A full schedule for the press conference, list of speakers and information on parking/entering will be emailed to the RSVP list on Thursday afternoon.

No.

It's going to be a dog and pony show and I'm just not into wasting anyone's time etc.

I'm hearing this doesn't have a great chance of winning, yet the scary thing is oner of these days one court somewhere will rule in favor.....then we are in real trouble

This post was edited on 12/4 11:08 AM by edgytim

Originally posted by edgytim:
No.

It's going to be a dog and pony show and I'm just not into wasting anyone's time etc.

I'm hearing this doesn't have a great chance of winning, yet the scary thing is oner of these days one court somewhere will rule in favor.....then we are in real trouble

Now that Dean is King, can't you task him?

Originally posted by JCHILLTOPPERS:
Originally posted by edgytim:
No.

Now that Dean is King, can't you task him?
How does one task a king?

Edgy you are right on. Someday a court will rule in favor. It is a matter of when and not if. Then, as always happens, the dam will break.

All the scumbag greedy lawyers are rubbing their hands together in anxious anticipation.

Edgy ... If you are at liberty to discuss, I'd be intrested in why this doesn't have a chance. I've felt since the time this came down in the NFL that it would just be a matter of time until it trickled down.

Originally posted by eireog:
Edgy ... If you are at liberty to discuss, I'd be intrested in why this doesn't have a chance. I've felt since the time this came down in the NFL that it would just be a matter of time until it trickled down.
No one is making millions of dollars and the IHSA didnt spend millions studying concussions and hiding the results from the players.

ths lawsuit is costing all of us money....the IHSA is funded by the high schools in Illinois....the high schools in illinois are funded by the tax payers (public) or by tuition / donations (private). in all seriousness this lawsuit is going to be paid for by member schools and at the end of the day it will not solve anything.

I agree this is going to cost all of us and I don't think it's going to be the last one filed.

This post was edited on 12/5 3:33 PM by eireog

According to the Herald the lawsuit does not seek damages. If it can be handled in the proper way perhaps it could bring about good changes. None of us want kids getting concussions, or worse playing with them. If the whole concussion issue is not addressed properly football will die from lack of participation eventually.

Originally posted by Oddy:

According to the Herald the lawsuit does not seek damages. If it can be handled in the proper way perhaps it could bring about good changes. None of us want kids getting concussions, or worse playing with them. If the whole concussion issue is not addressed properly football will die from lack of participation eventually.
Well here in lies the dilema though. If the lawsuit wins and schools have to follow baseline testing or whatever else it is calls for that is financial then schools are dropping football that cannot afford to have it. If the concussion issue is not address than as you say football will die. If not for the potential of lawsuits then you may already see travel club football or club/school semi sponsored sports like hockey currently is where people pay to have their sons play period. Then the high schools do away with the total control of it because of the liability on top of the costs they already incurr for having football (equipment, etc.). Youth football is really hitting a cross roads. And i do not believe anyone has an answer

I agree cats, the answers are not easy. It is my fear that HS football is only one law suit (with damages) away from going away. I think the current law suit could be a positive, but fear it will just cause more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT