ADVERTISEMENT

Harold Baines HOF?

I’m a Sox fan, but I have no problem with Lee Smith being elected. He is still number three on the all time saves list and was the all time leader for over ten years after he retired.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Smith had a lot of saves but I remember him more for coming in the 9th inning and the opposition always hitting a home run against him.

Also the HOF will never be the HOF until Pete Rose is inducted. He played the game the way I would like to see every player play the game.

Joe Jackson ... then Pete.

Joe Jackson ... then Pete.
If you allow the gamblers then you allow the steroid freaks. IMHO, Hank Aaron is still the home run champ. What Bonds tacked on ,at the end of an already Hall of Fame career, doesn’t really count because he cheated. I understand that the gambling doesn’t have any bearing on Rose or Jackson’s numbers but those are the rules of admission.

Last edited:
I'm very happy about this honor; also, it annoys Cub fans that Lee Smith has to share the limelight.
No it doesn't that is a typical Sox fan thought. Lee Smith spent many more years pitching elsewhere and won more accolades elsewhere. Just stop.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
I’m a Sox fan, but I have no problem with Lee Smith being elected. He is still number three on the all time saves list and was the all time leader for over ten years after he retired.
Agree totally

I'm very happy about this honor; also, it annoys Cub fans that Lee Smith has to share the limelight.
Is that true? None of my Cub fan friends have even mentioned that. They are just talking about Smith, who I feel belongs.

Okay, done my research now...

1. Go to Baseball Reference and the top 5 most similar players to Harold Baines? Four are HOFers.

2. So who in MLB history has 2800+ hits and an .820 OPS and is not in the HOF?

Pete Rose, Derek Jeter and Adrian Beltre? Nope, below .820 OPS.

Only Alex Rodriguez (steroids/not yet eligible), Albert Pujols (still playing), Rafael Palmeiro (roids), Barry Bonds (mega roids) and Harold Baines fit this criteria.

Again, it's very easy to make a case for HB...spare us your outrage Cub fans.

What I want to know is what the hell is Harold Baines doing in the Hall of Fame while Larry Walker isn't?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT