ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest State Title Game Ever?

niualum2002

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2004
Regardless of whether it played out as it did, or if East St. Louis would have pulled it out in the end, my question is where does this 6A title game rank in terms of the greatest state titles games ever? You had all sorts of drama, a David vs. Goliath narrative, which if anyone following these teams all year knew that wasn't the case, as these were two well matched quality opponents with one nationally tested, the other undefeated and rolling through their schedule and the playoffs. The back and forth drama, onside kick, kickoff return for a TD and the incredible play of in my mind the Illinois State Player of the Year #3 Luther Burden. Hats off to both of these teams for playing an absolutely enjoyable game to watch but my question is where does this rank amongst the all-time great state title finishes? Surely it is in the conversation for greatest state title game ever right? What would be the games that are also in that discussion? I know there have been some great ones so I am curious to see...what would be considered better than what we just saw?

There have been some really great games over the years. I can think of a handful of 3A games in the past 7-8 years that were excellent.
But as far as perceived big underdog against a nationally recognized powerhouse, contrasting styles, back and forth, big plays, key storylines with the CG injury, crazy interception to seal it??

You can definitely make a case for best ever. I wouldn’t argue.

There is not a more outstanding player in the state than LB3. If that equates to POY, we shall see.

Not only does he have moves and speed, he loves contact and really is a man among boys.
I’ve been involved in HS football for, well I’m old and was at the first 5A title game. Burden is the most talented skill player I’ve ever watched. Not sure how he ended up at Missouri but they have an absolute star who should play down 1 in the fall.

His skills look like they will translate to sundays but we shall see on that.

disagree. A bit of it is old man bias, but defense was not strong all around. Was an exciting and dramatic game, but by no means an all-time great.

In my opinion, the following games rate higher (some years may be off a year or two-- I didn't look them up)

Wheaton South / G West - 2008
Provi/Cary Grove - 2014
Driscoll / Mt. Carmel (the other one) - 2002
Metamora / Morris - 2007
Wheaton Central / Naper Central - 2005
Wheaton Central / JCA -- 1992 -- the best ever in my opinion

disagree. A bit of it is old man bias, but defense was not strong all around. Was an exciting and dramatic game, but by no means an all-time great.

In my opinion, the following games rate higher (some years may be off a year or two-- I didn't look them up)

Provi/Cary Grove - 2014
Metamora / Morris - 2007
So I'm kind of looking at this as obvious #1 versus #2 matchups that happened to also be classics...thinking like college football such as Army-Notre Dame 1946, Notre Dame-Michigan State 1966, Texas-Arkansas 1969, Nebraska-Oklahoma 1971, Miami-Penn State 1987, Texas-USC 2005, and the recent Alabama-Clemson battles.

Those are all pretty good nominations. I'm a little too young for Wheaton Central/JCA and Wheaton Warrenville South/Naperville Central but with what I can see by final scores, records, and highlights those two are definitely in the discussion.

Metamora/Morris is good, but I remember the Dergo game against JCA and that game to me still trumps it even though I know it wasn't for the state championship. Metamora beating a two loss Morris team eliminates that one for me despite how good of a game it ended up being.

Driscoll/Mt. Carmel good as well but just not quite up to this game today I feel. Start of a Driscoll dynasty but both teams came in with losses...but again a very good game.

Providence/Cary Grove I am confident in saying was incredible yet not as good as the game today just due to the sheer anticipation.

Wheaton South/Glenbard West was good but again didn't seem to me like we had the obvious #1 vs. #2 as Glenbard West almost lost to Lake Zurich a week earlier and Wheaton-Warrenville South already came in with one loss.

I'm not counting the 2 losses East St. Louis had to national out of state opponents in this discussion so in my mind these are 2 undefeated powerhouses playing an unbelievable classic with pre-game hype, narrative, and the gameplay also played it out.

So I will definitely concede Wheaton Central/JCA and Wheaton Warrenville South/Naperville Central as games that are in the discussion, but right now I'm not yet convinced that they trump what I saw today. I know East St. Louis made a few mistakes here and there but they were so dominant all year and so that is what I feel adds to the drama of just how great this game ended up being. The last interception while not perhaps the most dramatic ending to a state title game ever, surely had most of us absolutely on the edge of our seats as to how Cary-Grove was able to hold on as this East St. Louis team felt like they could score on every play. There are very few teams in Illinois I felt could do that in my 20 plus years or so of following Illinois High School Football which is why I thought this game was such an incredible back and forth.

In my mind I hope it goes down like Joliet Catholic-Riverside Brookfield 2001 in terms of how it is historically remembered...that is how great of a show these two teams put on for us today.

So I'm kind of looking at this as obvious #1 versus #2 matchups that happened to also be classics...thinking like college football such as Army-Notre Dame 1946, Notre Dame-Michigan State 1966, Texas-Arkansas 1969, Nebraska-Oklahoma 1971, Miami-Penn State 1987, Texas-USC 2005, and the recent Alabama-Clemson battles.

Those are all pretty good nominations. I'm a little too young for Wheaton Central/JCA and Wheaton Warrenville South/Naperville Central but with what I can see by final scores, records, and highlights those two are definitely in the discussion.

Metamora/Morris is good, but I remember the Dergo game against JCA and that game to me still trumps it even though I know it wasn't for the state championship. Metamora beating a two loss Morris team eliminates that one for me despite how good of a game it ended up being.

Driscoll/Mt. Carmel good as well but just not quite up to this game today I feel. Start of a Driscoll dynasty but both teams came in with losses...but again a very good game.

Providence/Cary Grove I am confident in saying was incredible yet not as good as the game today just due to the sheer anticipation.

Wheaton South/Glenbard West was good but again didn't seem to me like we had the obvious #1 vs. #2 as Glenbard West almost lost to Lake Zurich a week earlier and Wheaton-Warrenville South already came in with one loss.

I'm not counting the 2 losses East St. Louis had to national out of state opponents in this discussion so in my mind these are 2 undefeated powerhouses playing an unbelievable classic with pre-game hype, narrative, and the gameplay also played it out.

So I will definitely concede Wheaton Central/JCA and Wheaton Warrenville South/Naperville Central as games that are in the discussion, but right now I'm not yet convinced that they trump what I saw today. I know East St. Louis made a few mistakes here and there but they were so dominant all year and so that is what I feel adds to the drama of just how great this game ended up being. The last interception while not perhaps the most dramatic ending to a state title game ever, surely had most of us absolutely on the edge of our seats as to how Cary-Grove was able to hold on as this East St. Louis team felt like they could score on every play. There are very few teams in Illinois I felt could do that in my 20 plus years or so of following Illinois High School Football which is why I thought this game was such an incredible back and forth.

In my mind I hope it goes down like Joliet Catholic-Riverside Brookfield 2001 in terms of how it is historically remembered...that is how great of a show these two teams put on for us today.

great points. a debate that was will never be resolved which is what makes it fun. The only point of yours that I will counter is that I don't believe there was much hype for this game. No-one thought C-G had a chance.

Most of the games I listed had a ton of hype, especially WWS/NC.

great points. a debate that was will never be resolved which is what makes it fun. The only point of yours that I will counter is that I don't believe there was much hype for this game. No-one thought C-G had a chance.

Most of the games I listed had a ton of hype, especially WWS/NC.
Thanks for your input! As a fan of high school football and the history behind it I am hoping others that experienced it will share the hype heading into WWS/NC and the others as I love learning about this stuff. I only know this era of the games I'm not familiar with as much (Mid 1990s and earlier) from experience as when Lincoln-Way was getting really good at football as I am located in the south suburbs. Everything else I've had to learn through highlights, box scores, and stories as told here on EdgyTim.

I agree with you completely though that this game today didn't get the hype all week like maybe it could have which I also agree diminishes it a little bit...just curious as to which other state titles games compete in terms of pre-game hype as I have the 2 quarterfinal games in my mind of JCA-RB in 2001 and JCA-Morris in 2005 as 2 that come to mind right away in terms of just sheer anticipation.

I'm not even a JCA guy or anything (heck my years on those games might be wrong) but just curious as to what games at the state championship level would be the perfect mix as to an all-time classic especially when including the anticipation factor and then measuring up to it?

Thanks for your input! As a fan of high school football and the history behind it I am hoping others that experienced it will share the hype heading into WWS/NC and the others as I love learning about this stuff. I only know this era of the games I'm not familiar with as much (Mid 1990s and earlier) from experience as when Lincoln-Way was getting really good at football as I am located in the south suburbs. Everything else I've had to learn through highlights, box scores, and stories as told here on EdgyTim.

I agree with you completely though that this game today didn't get the hype all week like maybe it could have which I also agree diminishes it a little bit...just curious as to which other state titles games compete in terms of pre-game hype as I have the 2 quarterfinal games in my mind of JCA-RB in 2001 and JCA-Morris in 2005 as 2 that come to mind right away in terms of just sheer anticipation.

I'm not even a JCA guy or anything (heck my years on those games might be wrong) but just curious as to what games at the state championship level would be the perfect mix as to an all-time classic especially when including the anticipation factor and then measuring up to it?

I was on the sidelines for JCA/RB and it is still one of the best sporting experiences I have ever seen.

If we are going beyond state finals, for me the top game every was the 1992 Wheaton Central/ Nap North game. Most hyped game in a couple generation of Illinois football. Both teams were nationally ranked in top 5 at the time. Central 14-10 on a hook and ladder with a minute to go. Over 25 players who played in that game played D-1 football at some point.

Here's a YouTube link for the deciding plan.

Two games that were close to this in excitement but lacked the underdog storyline.

2011 5A Montini 70 JCA 45. Through 3 quarters, the score was 49-45 Montini. JCA had a bad 4th quarter and Montini pulled away with three more TD’s. JCA ran for 769 yards. Montini passed for 587.

2019 3A Williamsville 46 Byron 42. Williamsville scored twice in the last 4 minutes to defeat Byron. Byron rushed for 449 yards and almost ran back on an onside kick for a TD late in the game. Williamsville then stopped Byron on 4th down and drove 89 yards for the winning score in the final 30 seconds.

2011 Montini-JCA was the game I was thinking of for 3 quarters other than it became one-sided in the 4th. But that’s what it felt like the entire game tonight. At any point someone could score.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Regardless of whether it played out as it did, or if East St. Louis would have pulled it out in the end, my question is where does this 6A title game rank in terms of the greatest state titles games ever? You had all sorts of drama, a David vs. Goliath narrative, which if anyone following these teams all year knew that wasn't the case, as these were two well matched quality opponents with one nationally tested, the other undefeated and rolling through their schedule and the playoffs. The back and forth drama, onside kick, kickoff return for a TD and the incredible play of in my mind the Illinois State Player of the Year #3 Luther Burden. Hats off to both of these teams for playing an absolutely enjoyable game to watch but my question is where does this rank amongst the all-time great state title finishes? Surely it is in the conversation for greatest state title game ever right? What would be the games that are also in that discussion? I know there have been some great ones so I am curious to see...what would be considered better than what we just saw?
Nothing will beat Montini v. JCA 2011, but this was close.

Reactions: Gene K. and eireog

Provi/Cary Grove - 2014
Metamora / Morris - 2007
You state that this year's game was not an all time great due to a lack of defense, yet in the game you single out as the best ever (JCA/Wheaton in 1992), there were more points scored than in this years game. 🤷‍♂️

CG 37 ESL 36
WWS 40 JCA 34

You state that this year's game was not an all time great due to a lack of defense, yet in the game you single out as the best ever (JCA/Wheaton in 1992), there were more points scored than in this years game. 🤷‍♂️

CG 37 ESL 36
WWS 40 JCA 34

Well it was 27-27 at the end of regulation and a bunch of those points were scored in the last 5 mins of the game.

Well it was 27-27 at the end of regulation and a bunch of those points were scored in the last 5 mins of the game.
Fair enough. It was definitely a great game. Just thought it was funny that King focused on lack of defense then referenced a game where 74 points were scored as his pick for the best game ever.

Fair enough. I was fortunate to be on the sidelines for this game as a coach. It was definitely a great game. Just thought it was funny that King focused on lack of defense then referenced a game where 74 points were scored as his pick for the best game ever.

Had EStL and CG gone to OT they may still be playing with the way the offenses were going.

In all seriousness how can it be David vs. Goliath when CG was 13-0 and won the championship just three years ago, while ESL had two losses coming into the game?

It can be a great game without the inaccurate superlatives.

LB3 was impressive - but IMO Laquan Treadwell was a notch-above performance wise vs. CG in a previous Championship game.

Reactions: juschill
LB3 was impressive - but IMO Laquan Treadwell was a notch-above performance wise vs. CG in a previous Championship game.
Almost too close to call. LBIII has his whole college career and beyond to separate himself from the comparison.

Two main differences…Treadwell played D (incredibly well) and kicked extra points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT