ADVERTISEMENT

"Coach Spack.......

Fleck is the real deal. He caught a lot of flack for his "row the boat" crap from a few years ago but he's done an amazing job.

Purdue has more issues than just a coach. I looked at the roster a few months ago and only one player from Chicago area, I don't understand how you ignore a metro area like they have. Last 2 coaches have ignored the area. What will happen is a search committee will be put in place, X-nfl players and guy's who hold mgmt. positions, to validate a selection by a president that is proud of his cost control and not raising tuition in the past 3 years. Additionally a new AD was just hired this fall.... Purdue is a dumpster fire

Reactions: jeeprushLB
"Hi, yeah, this is Brian from Mishawaka calling again. I left a message a week ago, but maybe you didn't get it. Listen, I heard through the grapevine that you might be looking for someone new to head up your program over there, and I just want to say I would be interested. I have good D1 experience and I could probably be over there in about 45 minutes, depending on traffic. And, uh, you probably don't have to worry about salary for a few years with me. I'll explain when we get together. Looking forward to hearing from you real soon ..."

This could end up being a Faustian deal; Purdue might end up having to dip into the Indy Catholic League if they are that cheap.

While the university president may be cheap, they are $65million in on a football facilities upgrade and need to put more people in the stadium. They claim that salary will not be the limiting factor in the coaching search. I think they also realize that attracting a big name will be tough based on the last 8 years and no clear path out.

This could end up being a Faustian deal; Purdue might end up having to dip into the Indy Catholic League if they are that cheap.

Perhaps Ron Zook comes back out of the NFL. Great recruiter, decent coach, and maybe ready to run his own program again.
I would imagine Zook is pretty content coaching ST's for the Packers and living out the rest of his life. Has been ran out of two programs after winning seasons, why would he want to touch Purdue?

I'd jump on Matt Candle now if I am Purdue. Been a key cog in a solid Toledo program that has looked better under him IMO. Ohio guy, with a huge network there, also recruits IL hard.

Reactions: mchsalumni
PJ would be dumb to take the Purdue job....

I agree 100%. But it won't matter anyway. PJ pissed off all of the Indy HS coaches when he took the WMU job and told a bunch of recruits late in the process he wasn't honoring their commitments. He ended up taking most of them out of necessity, but the animosity is still there and that's obviously your most important recruiting ground as Purdue coach, with Chicago area #2

Yes, please Purdue take Spack. Spack rode the Roberson transfer to two great season at ISU where he outscored people. He has always had the typical leaky Spack defenses at ISU. This year, beat NU, but then lost 4 in row to FCS teams including mighty Indiana St and Eastern Illinois. Spack is a decent recruiter, but not a good game day coach.

Yes, please Purdue take Spack. Spack rode the Roberson transfer to two great season at ISU where he outscored people. He has always had the typical leaky Spack defenses at ISU. This year, beat NU, but then lost 4 in row to FCS teams including mighty Indiana St and Eastern Illinois. Spack is a decent recruiter, but not a good game day coach.
Not only have the Redbirds outgained opponents, they have averaged 1.2 YPP more than opponents (4.5). Not exactly leaky.

Not only have the Redbirds outgained opponents, they have averaged 1.2 YPP mor
Not only have the Redbirds outgained opponents, they have averaged 1.2 YPP more than opponents (4.5). Not exactly leaky.
In 5 games against FCS games, ISU foes have averaged scoring 27.4 PPG, if a bath tub was that leaky you would call Home Depot to replace it.

Reactions: mchsalumni
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT