ADVERTISEMENT

Best 2nd place team?

Sparty Jones

Oct 28, 2004
In the past 10 years, what team was the most outstanding but just fell short in the title game?

The JCA team with Malin Joens and Ty Isaac. The JCA team with ferguson and Jones.....the JCA...ugh

MS 2003

Still have nightmares of Jake Christensen!

Not past 10 years BUT 1995 Naperville Central.

Naperville was preseason number 1 and undefeated all year (crushing everybody in the DVC). That year Naperville Central played Naperville North in the regular season at North. Naperville Central was number 1 and Naperville North was number 2. The score at the end of the first quarter was 28-0.

Unfortunately, Jim Tumilty (all-state RB) tore his ACL. Naperville made it to the title game against WWS (whom they beat easily in the regular season). Despite the injury to Tumilty (who was tough enough to try and gut it out on the old Illinois State astroturf), Central still almost won. Naperville scored what appeared to be the game tying TD with under 2 minutes to go. Instead of tying the game and going to OT, Naperville opted to go for two and missed.

I agree on the 1995 Naperville Central team they were loaded with talent at just about every position and in my opinion the best team they ever had, but they only beat WWS 21-16 in the regular season. Outside of WWS they pretty much clubbed every team they played.

This game is now posted IHSA archives and is worth watching if you are looking to kill some time.

They beat WWS w/o Tumlity in the regular season (he didn't play for about a month) then attempted to come back. Never the same.

I will throw out a small school.

They had 4 RB's who rotated, ran the double wing, but 2 of 4 rb's got hurt in the state championship game.
3 of 4 rb's went on to play small college football, which is pretty remarkable from a 1A school.
2005 Cambridge Vikings

It was a game against Freeport Aquin and featured 2 opposing styles of football. Freeport was a spread, read option type offense where Cambridge was a double wing, ground and pound type offense. It was a good game, minus key injuries on both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT