ADVERTISEMENT

bats...woodeny

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
I am starting to fall into the wooden bat camp for HS baseball.

The best argument I am aware of against wooden bats are the kids at that age don't have the muscle to swing them with much effectiveness and pitchers would dominate.

The best argument I am aware of against metal bats is the technology has now surpassed talent and bats are allowing kids to hit with a disproportionate amount of energy.

IMO, the latter is a greater concern. I think kids can adjust their swing easier than it would be to curb the technology trend..

JC I'm telling you thee new composite bats are unreal. Light as they come and as strong as anything. I'm also more and more with you in the whole wooden bat issue

A little thing I came across on the internet. It shows how home runs are down this year in college with the new BBCOR bats, which is what HS will be using next year. I a also an advocate for wood bats.
First weekend last season.
ACC - 47 homeruns
SEC - 44 homeruns
TCU - 6 homeruns

This season first weekend
ACC - 16 homeruns
SEC - 21 homeruns
TCU - 2 homeruns
This post was edited on 3/22 9:13 AM by ref2

Vandy has FIVE team homeruns this season so far. And they are ranked 2nd. Back in the 90s it was absolutely ridiculous with the bats they were using.

Obviously cost is an issue. I think it would be cool though if for league play the Catholic League used wood. Im not sure if they still do it but the GLVC(Lewis,Joes,Kentucky Wesleyan etc) used wood for conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT