ADVERTISEMENT

618 Talk Week 7/8:Who wins the South Seven?

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
A weekly thread to talk about teams and conferences in the 618(southern Illinois).

The biggest story of last week didn’t come from the field, but rather the IHSA office as they forced Mt. Vernon to forfeit earlier wins over Triad and Althoff. Triad and Althoff improved to 4-2 with the news, while the Rams fell to 3-3. This obviously had effects on the playoff picture, but it also knocked Mt. Vernon one game from the lead of the South Seven title race. Here is the most informative article I've found on the situation.

Cahokia(3-4) comes back for 32-26 OT win over Mt. Vernon(3-4)

A bad week continued to get worse for Mt. Vernon as they lost in brutal fashion. A touchdown with just 4 minutes to play pushed them ahead 26-18, but a failed two point try kept it to a one possession game.
All still seemed well as they would force a Comanche turnover on downs with 2 minutes to play. But a quick stop would give the ball to Cahokia for one final chance. They took full advantage of that and tossed a 69 yard Hail Mary with 17 seconds left to play. A subsequent two point conversion forced overtime.
Omarion Gooden, who scored the final 8 points in regulation, rushed a touchdown in the opening overtime period for Cahokia. A failed two point try left the door wide open for Mt. Vernon, but they failed to score in response.
Not sure there is a team in Illinois that had a tougher week than the Rams. We’ll see if they can turn that into fuel or let it derail their season with a chance at the conference title next week.
Cahokia also keeps the door open for the postseason with their win. They’ll need to eat their Wheaties however as they finish against O'Fallon(6-1) and Althoff(4-3).

Marion(4-3) erases a 17-0 hole to force OT and tackle Centralia(5-2) 32-31

Centralia could clinch sole possession of the conference with a win and they seemed well on their way with a 17-0 lead at halftime. But Marion had other plans.
The visiting Wildcats bit back with 24 consecutive points as Jordyn Beverly and Evan Noelle combined for 3 touchdowns and 3 successful two point conversions.
Centralia responded with an Amir Johnson touchdown carry and an extra point kick in the final minutes to force overtime at 24-24.
Amir Johnson tacked on his third touchdown of the game in the first overtime period and Marion elected to kick their PAT to go up 30-24.
The visitors responded with yet another touchdown from Jordyn Beverly and made the successful choice to rush for 2 with Evan Noelle for the 31-30 win.
This win keeps four of the six S7 teams mathematically alive for the conference playoff berth.

Althoff(4-3) gets doinked by Carbondale(2-5)

Final score here was 10-7 after the Terriers won on a final second field goal that bounced in off the upright. Here’s video of the tough finish.
Althoff really could have used this one both for the conference race and their playoff aspirations. This was the Terrier’s first win since beating a bad Granite City team in week 1.

So who will win the South Seven?

We’ll have to watch Centralia at Mt. Vernon and Cahokia at Althoff.

If Centralia wins, they are the undisputed South Seven champions. But things get interesting if they lose.
A Mt. Vernon win would tie them at 3-2 in conference play with Centralia. It would also tie them with the winner of Althoff and Cahokia, who will also become 3-2 in S7 play.
The tiebreaker would become the fewest points allowed against the other two teams. I'm basing all of this off of 1-0 being used as the score for the Mt. Vernon-Althoff forfeit, let me know if that is wrong for tiebreaking purposes.

Mt. Vernon wins the conference playoff qualification(a big deal since they have a tough matchup in week 9) by beating Centralia by 14 or more, plus either
1. Althoff wins and gives up 8 more than Mt. Vernon or
2. Cahokia wins and doesn’t give up 24 points less than Mt. Vernon.

Althoff wins the conference playoff berth with a win of their own and a Centralia loss, while also allowing 8+ less than Centralia.

Cahokia wins the conference playoff berth with a win of their own and a Centralia loss, while also allowing 37+ less than Centralia.

Other week 7 scores worth noting:
-Edwardsville(6-1) escapes Belleville East(3-4) 28-27 in 2OT. This was not a game I expected to be super close, but the Lancers showed they can play ball. Belleville East will make the playoffs if they take care of Belleville West and Granite City who are a combined 1-13 this season.
-Highland(6-1) had a running clock at half on their way to a 49-10 rout of Waterloo(5-2). If you don’t believe in Highland yet, I’m not sure what to tell you. Their dominance on both sides of the line puts them in the conversation for a 4A/5A run to the title game.
-East St. Louis, O’Fallon, Mascoutah and Triad all dominated conference games as expected. These will all be playoff teams come pairing night.

Week 8 Games to Watch(All kickoff Friday at 7:00)
-Centralia(5-2) at Mt. Vernon(3-4).
-Marion(4-2) at Cahokia(3-4).
-Waterloo(5-2) at Triad(5-2). Expect a lot of running the ball here. Whoever wins this game will take second place in the Mississippi Valley Conference(behind Highland) and I expect a good game.
-Edwardsville(6-1) at East St. Louis(5-2). There will be a lot of talent on the field in this one, as per usual. Hopefully the Tigers can keep this one from getting ugly.

Sorry I know Edwardsville plays hard when it comes to ESL but if this game is close ESL is not playofff ready. Saw E’ville 3 times this year last against East who should have won that game. Again ESL should win by 3+ touchdowns

Sorry I know Edwardsville plays hard when it comes to ESL but if this game is close ESL is not playofff ready. Saw E’ville 3 times this year last against East who should have won that game. Again ESL should win by 3+ touchdowns
I totally agree with East Side as a big favorite, but I still think it’s worth keeping an eye on just to see where these two teams are at heading to the postseason.

Reactions: flyerforlife
I totally agree with East Side as a big favorite, but I still think it’s worth keeping an eye on just to see where these two teams are at heading to the postseason.
I think E’ville will get taken to the wood shed these last 2 weeks. Hopefully they learn and make a deep run into the playoffs.

Reactions: Formicidae13
A weekly thread to talk about teams and conferences in the 618(southern Illinois).

The biggest story of last week didn’t come from the field, but rather the IHSA office as they forced Mt. Vernon to forfeit earlier wins over Triad and Althoff. Triad and Althoff improved to 4-2 with the news, while the Rams fell to 3-3. This obviously had effects on the playoff picture, but it also knocked Mt. Vernon one game from the lead of the South Seven title race. Here is the most informative article I've found on the situation.

Cahokia(3-4) comes back for 32-26 OT win over Mt. Vernon(3-4)

A bad week continued to get worse for Mt. Vernon as they lost in brutal fashion. A touchdown with just 4 minutes to play pushed them ahead 26-18, but a failed two point try kept it to a one possession game.
All still seemed well as they would force a Comanche turnover on downs with 2 minutes to play. But a quick stop would give the ball to Cahokia for one final chance. They took full advantage of that and tossed a 69 yard Hail Mary with 17 seconds left to play. A subsequent two point conversion forced overtime.
Omarion Gooden, who scored the final 8 points in regulation, rushed a touchdown in the opening overtime period for Cahokia. A failed two point try left the door wide open for Mt. Vernon, but they failed to score in response.
Not sure there is a team in Illinois that had a tougher week than the Rams. We’ll see if they can turn that into fuel or let it derail their season with a chance at the conference title next week.
Cahokia also keeps the door open for the postseason with their win. They’ll need to eat their Wheaties however as they finish against O'Fallon(6-1) and Althoff(4-3).

Marion(4-3) erases a 17-0 hole to force OT and tackle Centralia(5-2) 32-31

Centralia could clinch sole possession of the conference with a win and they seemed well on their way with a 17-0 lead at halftime. But Marion had other plans.
The visiting Wildcats bit back with 24 consecutive points as Jordyn Beverly and Evan Noelle combined for 3 touchdowns and 3 successful two point conversions.
Centralia responded with an Amir Johnson touchdown carry and an extra point kick in the final minutes to force overtime at 24-24.
Amir Johnson tacked on his third touchdown of the game in the first overtime period and Marion elected to kick their PAT to go up 30-24.
The visitors responded with yet another touchdown from Jordyn Beverly and made the successful choice to rush for 2 with Evan Noelle for the 31-30 win.
This win keeps four of the six S7 teams mathematically alive for the conference playoff berth.

Althoff(4-3) gets doinked by Carbondale(2-5)
Final score here was 10-7 after the Terriers won on a final second field goal that bounced in off the upright. Here’s video of the tough finish.
Althoff really could have used this one both for the conference race and their playoff aspirations. This was the Terrier’s first win since beating a bad Granite City team in week 1.

So who will win the South Seven?
We’ll have to watch Centralia at Mt. Vernon and Cahokia at Althoff.

If Centralia wins, they are the undisputed South Seven champions. But things get interesting if they lose.
A Mt. Vernon win would tie them at 3-2 in conference play with Centralia. It would also tie them with the winner of Althoff and Cahokia, who will also become 3-2 in S7 play.
The tiebreaker would become the fewest points allowed against the other two teams. I'm basing all of this off of 1-0 being used as the score for the Mt. Vernon-Althoff forfeit, let me know if that is wrong for tiebreaking purposes.

Mt. Vernon wins the conference playoff qualification(a big deal since they have a tough matchup in week 9) by beating Centralia by 14 or more, plus either
1. Althoff wins and gives up 8 more than Mt. Vernon or
2. Cahokia wins and doesn’t give up 24 points less than Mt. Vernon.

Althoff wins the conference playoff berth with a win of their own and a Centralia loss, while also allowing 8+ less than Centralia.

Cahokia wins the conference playoff berth with a win of their own and a Centralia loss, while also allowing 37+ less than Centralia.

Other week 7 scores worth noting:
-Edwardsville(6-1) escapes Belleville East(3-4) 28-27 in 2OT. This was not a game I expected to be super close, but the Lancers showed they can play ball. Belleville East will make the playoffs if they take care of Belleville West and Granite City who are a combined 1-13 this season.
-Highland(6-1) had a running clock at half on their way to a 49-10 rout of Waterloo(5-2). If you don’t believe in Highland yet, I’m not sure what to tell you. Their dominance on both sides of the line puts them in the conversation for a 4A/5A run to the title game.
-East St. Louis, O’Fallon, Mascoutah and Triad all dominated conference games as expected. These will all be playoff teams come pairing night.

Week 8 Games to Watch(All kickoff Friday at 7:00)
-Centralia(5-2) at Mt. Vernon(3-4).
-Marion(4-2) at Cahokia(3-4).
-Waterloo(5-2) at Triad(5-2). Expect a lot of running the ball here. Whoever wins this game will take second place in the Mississippi Valley Conference(behind Highland) and I expect a good game.
-Edwardsville(6-1) at East St. Louis(5-2). There will be a lot of talent on the field in this one, as per usual. Hopefully the Tigers can keep this one from getting ugly.

I watched the Cahokia game and was a shocked that Mt. Vernon didn't win. On paper Cahokia should handle Althoff closing with a showdown with former Cahokia great Gettis and O'fallon. As I stated last week, these are interesting in the south seven.

As far as E'ville is concerned, overlooking East almost cost them. I anticipate seeing the E'ville that dominated O'fallon for 3.5 quarters in the game against ESL this Friday.

Reactions: Formicidae13
E'ville was looking past BE and it showed.
Spot on. That game should not have been close at all, but Edwardsville seemed to be focused on celebrating homecoming while BE came to play. Eville hasn't been a well disciplined program for quite some time, but this particular game should have embarrassed the team and then some. Zero focus and zero effort.

Reactions: Gene K.
Hes not wrong. The wr was wide open on the 2pt conversion try at the end of the 2nd OT. The qb just missed him. East played a much more disciplined game and didnt have the silly mistakes/TOs.
Of course he's wrong. At no point did BE look like the better team. Now if you want to make the case that Edwardsville deserved to lose because of how they played, that I can understand, but BE never looked like the better team, just a team that nearly came away with a victory from a team that was damn near trying to lose. lol

Reactions: St.Louisfootball
Of course he's wrong. At no point did BE look like the better team. Now if you want to make the case that Edwardsville deserved to lose because of how they played, that I can understand, but BE never looked like the better team, just a team that nearly came away with a victory from a team that was damn near trying to lose. lol
No one said BE looked like the better team. Just that based on how both teams played, and how that final play ended, BE should have won that game.

Never said BE was the better team. What I said was BE should have won that game and not just the missed 2pt conversion which was a terrible call why would you put QB under center against a team like E’ville. Play calling in second half for East was terrible.

You think Edwardsville played a better fb game than east friday?
Never said BE was the better team. What I said was BE should have won that game and not just the missed 2pt conversion which was a terrible call why would you put QB under center against a team like E’ville. Play calling in second half for East was terrible.
If your opponent keeps giving you gift after gift after gift and you STILL can't win the game, then you can't say that you should have won.

I though the 2pt call was a great call. He had a man WIDE OPEN in the end zone for the win. You cant draw it up more perfect than that.

If your opponent keeps giving you gift after gift after gift and you STILL can't win the game, then you can't say that you should have won.
I disagree. All but one turnover I believe BE made a good def play to force a turnover (or touchdown). They weren't "gifts" like bad snaps or dropped passes that resulted in TOs.

We can agree to disagree I stand by my statement EastSide should win by 3+ touchdowns if not then the Flyers still has more work to do.

We can agree to disagree I stand by my statement EastSide should win by 3+ touchdowns if not then the Flyers still has more work to do.
B east “should” not have won that game. They “could” have won that game. And that’s because eddy had 4 turnovers. If eddy comes to play Friday I think Eside game will be closer than expected. As far as CBC , they are not on the level of e side and very beatable, similar to ofallon.

Reactions: playboymixx
B east “should” not have won that game. They “could” have won that game. And that’s because eddy had 4 turnovers. If eddy comes to play Friday I think Eside game will be closer than expected. As far as CBC , they are not on the level of e side and very beatable, similar to

E’ville always comes to play when they play the Flyers. Just depends on which Flyers team shows up. If the Flyers come come to play I stand by my score

Carbondale @ Marion * must win for marion for playoff implications being media and coaches do not believe they will have enough points at 5-4, they must win out…

Carbondale @ Marion * must win for marion for playoff implications being media and coaches do not believe they will have enough points at 5-4, they must win out…
There’s a guy up north, Steve Soucie, who always projects the playoffs and is generally thought of as the foremost expert on the source. He has some 4-5 teams making it in at large, so I think Marion would be pretty safe at 5-4.
Last year, I believe just one 5-4 team missed the playoffs

Reactions: paulie23
There’s a guy up north, Steve Soucie, who always projects the playoffs and is generally thought of as the foremost expert on the source. He has some 4-5 teams making it in at large, so I think Marion would be pretty safe at 5-4.
Last year, I believe just one 5-4 team missed the playoffs
i get confused with the hole playoff point thing, thank you i’ll check him out!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT