ADVERTISEMENT

Your fav IHSA state final game memories?

I rewatched the 2009 CG/Providence game the other night. That win for CG after a long journey validated their program as legit and they’ve had quite a playoff run since.

Watching in-person from Hancock Stadium at ISU as the team I was rooting for ran the opening kickoff back some 90 yards before going on to win the game as well.

2012 Rochester vs Rock Island Alleman at Champaign. It was my son’s first title game. He was just getting over strep but begged to go. We had him bundled up like the kid brother in The Christmas Story. Very cold evening. The first half was back and forth with lots of scoring. Rochester ended up winning 43-18. Next year, he played JFL.

Reactions: net-se
Since we are all at home with no IHSA State Finals....feel free to reminisce here.

Didnt know where else to contact you.... I subscribed to the premium section but doesnt let me get it in.. Who do i contact to address this? Its not real clear.

1988 MC beating a heavily favored ESL to cap an unbelievable undefeated season for Coach Franks first title. And last years MC team that just owned JJ McCarthy and dominated a great Naz team that very few gave them a chance against, but the weather and Dave Lenti’s defense played right into MCs game plan that day. Run the ball, control the clock.

Outside of MC, the 92 JCA/WWS Double OT game was one of the best games I’ve seen....granted many years after it happened on You Tube but I heard so much about it and it lived up to its hype.

"The Kick"...2014 3A...Wilmington over Williamsville...The Bullets scored with a little over five minutes to play to tie the game at 14. In typical Wildcat fashion, they powered down the field and consumed the entire remaining clock... kicking the winning FG as time expired.

1988 MC beating a heavily favored ESL to cap an unbelievable undefeated season for Coach Franks first title. And last years MC team that just owned JJ McCarthy and dominated a great Naz team that very few gave them a chance against, but the weather and Dave Lenti’s defense played right into MCs game plan that day. Run the ball, control the clock.

Outside of MC, the 92 JCA/WWS Double OT game was one of the best games I’ve seen....granted many years after it happened on You Tube but I heard so much about it and it lived up to its hype.
The only MC title game I can't find on YouTube. Do you have a lead, detective?
ugh. This is a team I’d like to forget. They knocked us out of the playoffs in a tight one.

ugh. This is a team I’d like to forget. They knocked us out of the playoffs in a tight one.
Yep. The MC win the week before at the snake pit was my worst loss as a fan. But I respect the hell out of that 88 MC team. If any of you MC guys have the 89 SR v MC gane at Gately, I would be forever indebted for a copy.

Trib.
Red Who? With a 257-yard performance against Rock Island Alleman in Belleville Althoff`s Class 3A title game win, tailback Hickey Thompson`s all-time Illinois single-season rushing mark stood at 3,105 yards. For any player to surpass that mark, even if his team is fortunate enough to play the maximum 14 games and play in the state finals, he would have to average 222 yards a game. Considering that Althoff played only 13 games because of an open date, and that Thompson sat out nine fourth quarters (or the equivalent of at least two more games), his estimated average per 48 minutes of action was 282 yards. One day after his 410-yard game against Monticello had broken the state playoff record of 407 set two weeks earlier by Thornton`s David Wright, a reporter told Thompson he may make Illinois prep football fans forget the immortal Red Grange. ''Who`s that?'' Hickey replied. See, they`ve forgotten already.

And this, Ladies and Gentlemen, is how we ended up with Football Enrollment:

''Most of our schedule, which a lot of (Class 3A teams) complain about, is made up of 5A and 6A schools,'' said Althoff coach Glen Schott. ''So our kids are used to playing that type of big-school competition. I don`t apologize for that. It does help us in the playoffs, but it`s also a big gamble. If we go 5-4 against them and don`t make the playoffs, no one would say a thing.''

Thought that second clip was going to be Carlson hitting Feussel in the championship game that year.
I think it is but not the one you are thinking of. That was a borderline hit that definitely changed the game as the LWE QB clearly was not right after that.

MC beating a heavily favored ESL

MC seems to have a habit of beating the heavily favored Flyers. In '88, it was Nairobi Allen, at 5'8" and 155 pounds, who had two TDs of more than 50 yards. In 2017, at Gately, MC capitalized on ESL mistakes. In 2018, also at Gately, it was Rad Premovic and Eddie McGee who sprinted for scores of 63 and 84 yards, respectively. Carmel beat speed with speed. Does anyone one know the head-to-head record for MC and ESL?

Last edited:
MC seems to have a habit of beating the heavily favored Flyers. In '88, it was Nairobi Allen, at 5'8" and 155 pounds, who had two TDs of more than 50 yards. In 2017, at Gately, MC capitalized on ESL mistakes. In 2018, also at Gately, it was Rad Premovic and Eddie McGee who sprinted for scores of 63 and 84 yards, respectively. Carmel beat speed with speed. Does anyone one know the head-to-head record for MC and ESL?
I know they beat us in the 1987 semifinals and we beat them in the 1995 semifinals, so to my knowledge we should have a 4-1 advantage.

I know they beat us in the 1987 semifinals and we beat them in the 1995 semifinals, so to my knowledge we should have a 4-1 advantage.
Not really a series, but JCA is 1-0 vs ESL. Hilltoppers beat them 45-8 in playoffs in 1996
So ESL is 1-5 against the Carmelite schools. That's pretty noteworthy for the program that I think has the current highest overall winning percentage. 😁

Not many programs have dominated the series with the Flyers in the past 100 years. Is MC the only one? Maybe - not sure.
4 out of 5 is good over the years, but give me 7-8 out of 10 before I say a team is dominating a series. ESL always brings out the best in teams and I am glad MC has had success against ESL.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
Not the playoffs but I believe Montini is 3-0 vs East St Louis.

Do any other teams have no losses vs East St Louis?

Last edited:
Not many programs have dominated the series with the Flyers in the past 100 years. Is MC the only one? Maybe - not sure.

WWS is 3-0 vs EStL in the playoffs.

To bad they didn’t play in 2010 probably the two best teams in the state in the same bracket on a collision course until EStL got tossed from the playoffs.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
A few of my favorites:

Phillips winning their first state title

IC winning it all in 2008, first 5-4 to win state

ESL every time they make it down there. How can you not cheer for Eastside??? Unless your team is playing them.

7 straight for Driscoll

2014 Wilmington winning their first state title

ADVERTISEMENT