ADVERTISEMENT

Would You Decline Going to a State Title Game

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
If you were told no fans or family's were allowed to be at the game?

Just asking because ND may decline to play in the college playoffs since no fans or families are allowed to go to the Rose Bowl.

Just asking because ND may decline to play in the college playoffs since no fans or families are allowed to go to the Rose Bowl.
Dumb reason to boycott

Reactions: CaravanMan
I think what Kelly is trying to say is that the kids this fall have had to adjust on the fly and that the CFP committee should do the same.

Would it be that hard to play the game in Dallas or somewhere else where the parents can attend? I don’t think so as they’ve changed locations on the fly every week this season.
PAC12 did it for their game tonight.

NO and neither will they. It’s borderline stupidity to even say out loud. To much money involved. If they backed out you would have teams just waiting to jump in. It’s funny ND thinks they have any leverage. Maybe after Clemson beats them tomorrow it bounces them right out of the playoff consideration? This stunt just may sway the pendulum. One can only hope. 😂

Dabo came out and said the same thing today. I agree with Newt on this one, just make one of the other Bowl games a semifinal this season and out the Rose Bowl back on next season. Everything has been fluid this season and games have changed, been cancelled, teams have been flexible with rosters, schedules, times. Give the families of these 4 teams the chance to go see them play.

Dabo came out and said the same thing today. I agree with Newt on this one, just make one of the other Bowl games a semifinal this season and out the Rose Bowl back on next season. Everything has been fluid this season and games have changed, been cancelled, teams have been flexible with rosters, schedules, times. Give the families of these 4 teams the chance to go see them play.
Agree, just move the game.

If both teams agree then I agree. If one team has an issue then no!
There won’t be a team from West of the Mississippi in the Playoffs, I can’t imagine any of them are going to be interested in heading out to the Rose Bowl without their families.

There won’t be a team from West of the Mississippi in the Playoffs, I can’t imagine any of them are going to be interested in heading out to the Rose Bowl without their families.

You may be right but ND won’t need to worry about it because after the beating Clemson gave them I don’t see them in the playoffs. Texas A&M will most likely get the 4th spot.

You may be right but ND won’t need to worry about it because after the beating Clemson gave them I don’t see them in the playoffs. Texas A&M will most likely get the 4th spot.

I think the top 4 stay the top 4. A&M’s best win is Florida. A three loss Florida. Whether Clemson was healthy or not, ND beat em. Just don’t see a team that didn’t make it to the conference championship game moving into the final 4 with one real good win.

Reactions: Schwab54
NCAA announced tonight that the semifinal that was supposed to be at the Rose Bowl will now be played in Dallas.

Cincinnati won, I’d like to see them get a shot over either ND or A&M. I think either way Alabama moonwalks into the Championship game and I think Clemson takes care of Ohio State.

I think the top 4 stay the top 4. A&M’s best win is Florida. A three loss Florida. Whether Clemson was healthy or not, ND beat em. Just don’t see a team that didn’t make it to the conference championship game moving into the final 4 with one real good win.

You might be right Newt but one can dream. I am not a ND so it was fun to watch them take a beat down today. It will most likely be an Alabama Clemson National Championship game.

• Haha
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
If OSU can run the ball like they did today and get their receivers back, they will be dangerous. Not sure their defense this year can stop Clemson or Bama but should make the game interesting. I think Bama rolls as Clemson’s defense does not seem to be at an elite level either so can’t see them slowing down the Tide’s offense

ND would be better off not making the final 4. If they get the 4th spot, they will be humiliated by Alabama.

This is not a cheap shot at Notre Dame. I'd love to see them beat the Tide, but it won't happen.

Reactions: Bowie50
Corey said it earlier or I think it was Corey, we need to expand. Just because you’re a Power 5 conference team doesn’t mean your automatically better than non-power 5. Cincinnati Coastal San Jose all are about to get screwed.

Reactions: Solid Snake Pliskin
Corey said it earlier or I think it was Corey, we need to expand. Just because you’re a Power 5 conference team doesn’t mean your automatically better than non-power 5. Cincinnati Coastal San Jose all are about to get screwed.

Make it the top 8 teams. I'd be in favor of getting rid of the conference championship game.

I read Brian Kelly’s position as a bluff. Obviously his team will go play in the playoffs if they make it.

If you are the HC and your team is invited to a bowl game...I think there is a discussion there if the kids want to play in it. If you’re a player and you haven’t seen your family in 3mo and they aren’t allowed to come to the bowl game thus meaning you won’t see them for another month...then maybe it makes sense to not play.

Play a meaningless game in an empty stadium and spend Christmas away from my family vs play.

NFL caliber players have sat out bowl games in the past. I would imagine a high majority won’t play in this bowl season.

related topic.....ISNT IT REDICULOUS THAT THE COWBOYS STADIUM HAD 40,000+ FANS YESTERDAY AND OTHER STADIUMS DONT ALLOW ANY FANS????

these are 100,000 seat stadiums...no reason you can’t allow 20,000 or so fans in and spread out.

Minnesota and Nebraska announced they won’t accept any bowl bids.

I think it’s the right move. Let the kids go home and enjoy their Family’s for the next month.

I agree Newt. I would take 6 teams but 8 is even better. I hate not seeing Coastal Carolina and Cincinnati in the playoffs.

I read Brian Kelly’s position as a bluff. Obviously his team will go play in the playoffs if they make it.

If you are the HC and your team is invited to a bowl game...I think there is a discussion there if the kids want to play in it. If you’re a player and you haven’t seen your family in 3mo and they aren’t allowed to come to the bowl game thus meaning you won’t see them for another month...then maybe it makes sense to not play.

Play a meaningless game in an empty stadium and spend Christmas away from my family vs play.

NFL caliber players have sat out bowl games in the past. I would imagine a high majority won’t play in this bowl season.

related topic.....ISNT IT REDICULOUS THAT THE COWBOYS STADIUM HAD 40,000+ FANS YESTERDAY AND OTHER STADIUMS DONT ALLOW ANY FANS????

these are 100,000 seat stadiums...no reason you can’t allow 20,000 or so fans in and spread out.

I do agree with you. Spread them out around the stadium and make sure they are wearing masks or they get ejected. This would keep everyone safe.

Minnesota and Nebraska announced they won’t accept any bowl bids.

I think it’s the right move. Let the kids go home and enjoy their Family’s for the next month.
There are a lot of players who are not happy about this and some are saying they will have nothing to do. Guess the family can wait.

It's insane that you have some stadiums with fans in them and others who won't let anyone in. KC has had fans. Latest news I have seen is Roger Goodell hasn't set a limit for fans in the SB. A while back, the governor of Florida said he expected to see a full stadium. We'll see about that.

8 out of a ton of teams is too many?

The NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB have teams making the playoffs below .500.
I have always disagreed with the playoff format in the NHL and have been saying for years, too many teams make the playoffs.

I couldn't care less about the NBA so I don't care what they do, although at least they get it right by taking the top 8 teams from the east and west instead of having a division winner make the playoffs for that reason alone.

As for the NFL, I detest the idea that all division winners make the playoffs and have repeatedly said so. That is why you might get a team under .500 going to post season. I don't like the expanded playoffs this year. Six is enough in the NFL and that's it. And it should be the top six records. They way you won't have sub .500 teams getting in.

As for MLB, I don't even count this past postseason and said so right here multiple times. The whole 60 game regular season was a joke. And if you do count this post season, it is the first time a sub .500 team made the playoffs.

No, absolutely not when it comes to eight teams making the college football playoffs. That is a joke too. No way in hell an 8th ranked team should get a shot at a national title. And I also think it's a joke that OSU gets in when they only played six games. Everyone else in the playoffs played 11 games.

Most of the college football ranking stuff is absurd anyway. Cincinnati is ranked number 6 while Georgia is ranked number 11. Well, we are going to see if the number 6 ranking is for real because they play each other on Saturday night. There are a lot of teams under Cincinnati that I think are better.

Both are on TV, so family can watch. Taking away a chance to be a national champs is just stupid, especially when you family can watch on tv..

I would take only 4 teams to make the playoffs in total for all professional sports.

But I want 8 to make.the playoffs for college football because there are so many teams.

I would take only 4 teams to make the playoffs in total for all professional sports.
Lol what? So only the teams with the 2 best records in each conference in the NFL would get in. That would not get you a true champion nearly enough. "A wild card team making the Super Bowl is stronger than ever, but the odds are still in favor of a team with a first-round bye making the Super Bowl. Teams with a first-round bye have made the Super Bowl 79.3% of the time.

Super Bowl Participants By Seed (Since 1990)

Percentage

1 seed

51.7%

2 seed

27.6%

3 seed

3.4%

4 seed

12.1%

5 seed

1.7%

6 seed

3.4%"

I have always disagreed with the playoff format in the NHL and have been saying for years, too many teams make the playoffs.

I couldn't care less about the NBA so I don't care what they do, although at least they get it right by taking the top 8 teams from the east and west instead of having a division winner make the playoffs for that reason alone.

As for the NFL, I detest the idea that all division winners make the playoffs and have repeatedly said so. That is why you might get a team under .500 going to post season. I don't like the expanded playoffs this year. Six is enough in the NFL and that's it. And it should be the top six records. They way you won't have sub .500 teams getting in.

As for MLB, I don't even count this past postseason and said so right here multiple times. The whole 60 game regular season was a joke. And if you do count this post season, it is the first time a sub .500 team made the playoffs.

No, absolutely not when it comes to eight teams making the college football playoffs. That is a joke too. No way in hell an 8th ranked team should get a shot at a national title. And I also think it's a joke that OSU gets in when they only played six games. Everyone else in the playoffs played 11 games.

Most of the college football ranking stuff is absurd anyway. Cincinnati is ranked number 6 while Georgia is ranked number 11. Well, we are going to see if the number 6 ranking is for real because they play each other on Saturday night. There are a lot of teams under Cincinnati that I think are better.

LTHS
You are rather testy today. You say a lot in this post. I mean you cover football, basketball, baseball and back to football. I like basketball so I was happy to see the lakers win. Although I am a Cubs fan, I grew up a Dodger fan so I was happy to see them win the WS. Especially after being cheated by Houston. Now on to football. I would love to see the playoff have 6 or 8 teams. You make good points on Cincinnati but I like them and hope they give Georgia fits with their speed. It should be fun to watch, I am a fan of new match ups and underdogs. If an 8th ranked team wins then so be it!😀

Reactions: Bwm57
Disagree, you win your conference then you get an opportunity to play for a national title. Just like every other sport in NCAA. Should not matter how much you win by, who you play, etc. You win conference then you get a bid to play. Other NCAA divisions of football have figured it out. Other sports have figured it out. I don't want to hear from them that money, schedule, timing etc gets in the way. Figure it out.

Reactions: Gene K.
Yh
Disagree, you win your conference then you get an opportunity to play for a national title. Just like every other sport in NCAA. Should not matter how much you win by, who you play, etc. You win conference then you get a bid to play. Other NCAA divisions of football have figured it out. Other sports have figured it out. I don't want to hear from them that money, schedule, timing etc gets in the way. Figure it out.
This idea would involve too many games. How many teams do you want? Eight? Ten? Why not make it twenty? How about 32 or 64?

But I want 8 to make.the playoffs for college football because there are so many teams.
If baseball went back to two divisions in each league and each division winner went to the playoffs and no one else did, it wouldn't bother me. I go back to the days when there weren't separate divisions and all a team had to do was to win the pennant to go to the WS. I personally feel, and have for years, that there are too many teams in the Major Leagues anyway.

On the other hand, some people have said a team could win 100 games during the regular season and then find themselves out of the playoffs in just a few games. But, that was true before any playoff format. Not all WS winners won the most regular season games.

Reactions: Wassup13
LTHS
You are rather testy today. You say a lot in this post. I mean you cover football, basketball, baseball and back to football. I like basketball so I was happy to see the lakers win. Although I am a Cubs fan, I grew up a Dodger fan so I was happy to see them win the WS. Especially after being cheated by Houston. Now on to football. I would love to see the playoff have 6 or 8 teams. You make good points on Cincinnati but I like them and hope they give Georgia fits with their speed. It should be fun to watch, I am a fan of new match ups and underdogs. If an 8th ranked team wins then so be it!😀
Corey, I feel like we are sitting in a bar debating this...and come to think of it, I wish we were. I just dislike the idea of letting 8 teams participate in the college football playoff. Six is s stretch for me, but I'd probably agree in time.

The fact is, teams like Cincinnati, Boise State and Coastal Carolina simply don't play the same level of week-to-week games that teams from the B1G, Pac 12, SEC, Big 12 and ACC play. If they did, they would struggle to be .500 every year and we wouldn't be talking about any of them. it's a different level of play. God love ISU, but 12th? Really? Do you think they are better than Iowa and NU? I don't either. And Cincinnati is ahead of Florida and Georgia. Sorry, that doesn't compute.

If it's underdogs you're looking for, look no further than Notre Dame and OSU. Enjoy your Christmas my friend.

Yh
This idea would involve too many games. How many teams do you want? Eight? Ten? Why not make it twenty? How about 32 or 64?
As many as it allows. If FCS, Div 2, Div 3 can do it there's no reason FBS can't. Adjust the season length, play more games (you think the players, schools, coaches, parents, sponsors wouldn't want more games?$$$$)...again no excuses. Figure out a way where if you win your conference, you get a shot.

If you're a fraud, or didn't play anybody...you'll get exposed in first playoff game. Just like every other NCAA sport.

Reactions: PowerI66
As many as it allows. If FCS, Div 2, Div 3 can do it there's no reason FBS can't. Adjust the season length, play more games (you think the players, schools, coaches, parents, sponsors wouldn't want more games?$$$$)...again no excuses. Figure out a way where if you win your conference, you get a shot.

If you're a fraud, or didn't play anybody...you'll get exposed in first playoff game. Just like every other NCAA sport.

I cant stand the everybody makes the playoffs comcept. Why play a regular season?

I dislike the concept of giving everybody a trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT