ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State football documentary

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007
Very interesting documentary about the Wichita State football program - amazing story.

Of course, there's a Catholic League angle to it all: Carl Krueger, who earned a scholarship after playing only a year for the Saint Laurence Vikings - and had just made the first team as a defensive end as a college sophomore - was on the tragic flight. There's a park in Hickory Hills named in his honor. Glenn Kostal, his teammate from high school, was also on the same flight - he survived the crash.

Last edited:
My last assignment in the Air Force was in Wichita in October, 1970. The city was in mourning. Around Christmas, a huge fundraiser was planned at the WSU field house. Tickets were very expensive and weren't moving quickly -- until Bill Cosby was announced as a guest. As an E-5, my salary wouldn't cover the cost of the show, but my CO received a few complimentary tickets. The most memorable part of the show was Cosby chewing out the audience for waiting to buy tickets until he was announced. Chicagoan Lou Rawls was great.

Note that WSU fielded a team for the remainder of the season. Freshmen were allowed to play.

I believe the Marshall tragedy was the same year.

Last edited:
Very interesting documentary about the Wichita State football program - amazing story.

Of course, there's a Catholic League angle to it all: Carl Krueger, who earned a scholarship after playing only a year for the Saint Laurence Vikings - and had just made the first team as a defensive end as a college sophomore - was on the tragic flight. There's a park in Hickory Hills named in his honor. Glenn Kostal, his teammate from high school, was also on the same flight - he survived the crash.
Thanks for sharing -

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT