ADVERTISEMENT

Why your school?

My specific year was Sroka, Spunder, Divita, the Sasso twins.... St. Eugene sends kids to MS every single year. The Eugene's team I coached sent several also, '05. That was Conrad Manko Schippers Drazba. The volleyball star Butch triplets were St. Eugene also.

My good friend George Mougolias, who has since passed away, was another Norridge resident who went to MS. He played varsity hoops, 96.

Last edited:
When Vernon Hills HS opened, kids in my subdivision could go either there or to Libertyville. I'm not sure, but the option might still be available.

When Vernon Hills HS opened, kids in my subdivision could go either there or to Libertyville. I'm not sure, but the option might still be available.

Option is still there for the families that live on the boarder of Lib and VH.

Kinda boring story really..met my wife when she was ending a first marriage with two kids. We got married, I adopted the kids, and then we had two more. We wanted stability for the kids and since the first two had already started school we stayed in Palatine. That said, we've grown to absolutely love our town and we've always been extremely happy with the education, special services(two kids w/aspergers), and opportunities all four kids received in CCSD 15 and Distinct 211.

Had kids at Palatine High School from fall 2001 thru spring 2007, and then again from fall 2009 thru spring 2015...so been a parent/booster most of this millenium, but started following Palatine football back in the Petricca days and basically bleed Scarlett & Grey. Very bummed to see Coach Splitt go as it seemed he was on a trajectory to have a career like Petricca did. Frankly, kinda wishing the boosters would pull a Maine South and rent an apartment in PHS territory under his name so his kids could play high school football at Palatine and he'd stay on :)

Reactions: i011763
Both of my parents and two older siblings are New Trier alumni. Growing up. we lived in the New Trier school district, and I lobbied my parents really hard to go to New Trier...to no avail. At the time I was entering high school, they were able to afford Loyola's then huge tuition that approached a grand a year, and that's where I went.

I wound up doing well at Loyola, and I'm glad I went there. However, I was a pretty well rounded kid and good student who probably would have done equally well at New Trier. To this day, and despite the huge rivalry that exists between LA and NT, I still cheer for NT whenever they play any school other than LA. I also cheer for the Packers when they play any team other than the Bears, but that's another story.

I worked in the Loyola building for several years (that's as much as you're going to get from me, as I like to maintain my anonymity here). We sent one of our kids through Loyola.

Last point...

Believe it or not, I am not what I would consider to be a huge fan of Loyola sports. Sure, I like when they do well, and I enjoy following their sports teams (mostly through online outlets) but I'm no superfan by any stretch. I can count on one hand the number of Loyola football games I have attended in the past five years. I am probably as much a fan of high school sports in general as I am of Loyola sports in particular.

Both my wife and I attended public schools and got decent educations. We met at NIU and after graduating, we became Christians mid-20s prior to getting married.

Even before we had kids, we believed sending them to a Christian school was critically important. We wanted our children to be in an environment that lined up with our Biblical worldview. Government schools simply were not an option for us. Government schools are neutral at best, and hostile at worst, to the Biblical worldview.

We moved from Elgin to Aurora, in part, to be closer to family and send our kids to Aurora Christian. We enrolled our kids at age 4 and 6. Now they are 15 and 17. Aurora Christian is one of the few Christian schools in the area that is a large enough school to offer competitive sports.

I see Aurora Christian as more than a school, but a ministry with which we partner. We also appreciate the shared values we have with the many parents who also make great financial sacrifices with us to allow the school to be a great environment for our children to receive a great education.

We are not interested in the most athletically competitive school. We are not interested in the most academically rigorous school. We are not interested in high-brow tradition or sterling reputation. Athletics, academics, tradition and reputation are all important. However, above all, we wanted our kids to be in an environment 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 months per year, which lines up with our Biblical worldview and best prepares them, not just to be good students, but good people who honor God in all they do.

Both my wife and I attended public schools and got decent educations. We met at NIU and after graduating, we became Christians mid-20s prior to getting married.

Even before we had kids, we believed sending them to a Christian school was critically important. We wanted our children to be in an environment that lined up with our Biblical worldview. Government schools simply were not an option for us. Government schools are neutral at best, and hostile at worst, to the Biblical worldview.

We moved from Elgin to Aurora, in part, to be closer to family and send our kids to Aurora Christian. We enrolled our kids at age 4 and 6. Now they are 15 and 17. Aurora Christian is one of the few Christian schools in the area that is a large enough school to offer competitive sports.

I see Aurora Christian as more than a school, but a ministry with which we partner. We also appreciate the shared values we have with the many parents who also make great financial sacrifices with us to allow the school to be a great environment for our children to receive a great education.

We are not interested in the most athletically competitive school. We are not interested in the most academically rigorous school. We are not interested in high-brow tradition or sterling reputation. Athletics, academics, tradition and reputation are all important. However, above all, we wanted our kids to be in an environment 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, 9 months per year, which lines up with our Biblical worldview and best prepares them, not just to be good students, but good people who honor God in all they do.
Outstanding Cat! Good for you!!

My Dad attended St. Phillips. His brothers attended St. Mel's. I attended grade school at IC & my Dad told me I was going to ICHS. That was it. He also told me that if I got a crack at school, I'd better not come home and complain about it. My Dad was old school.

I played for Jack Lewis. The ole man always told me I was "always chasing rainbows". He was right...I still am.

ABU!

Reactions: Fenwick1929
Kinda boring story really..met my wife when she was ending a first marriage with two kids. We got married, I adopted the kids, and then we had two more. We wanted stability for the kids and since the first two had already started school we stayed in Palatine. That said, we've grown to absolutely love our town and we've always been extremely happy with the education, special services(two kids w/aspergers), and opportunities all four kids received in CCSD 15 and Distinct 211.

Had kids at Palatine High School from fall 2001 thru spring 2007, and then again from fall 2009 thru spring 2015...so been a parent/booster most of this millenium, but started following Palatine football back in the Petricca days and basically bleed Scarlett & Grey. Very bummed to see Coach Splitt go as it seemed he was on a trajectory to have a career like Petricca did. Frankly, kinda wishing the boosters would pull a Maine South and rent an apartment in PHS territory under his name so his kids could play high school football at Palatine and he'd stay on :)

Nice story. Not familiar with what you wrote. Please enlighten us.

Nice story. Not familiar with what you wrote. Please enlighten us.

Oh sure, I was referring to the sketchy non-contiguous parts of MS territory in Oriole Park/Norridge/Hardwood Heights that were NOT part of District 207 when I went to Maine East from 1977-1981.

The little yellow schoolhouse in the upper left of the picture is Maine South at Dee & Talcott in Park Ridge. The white square(with the football field just to the north of it) in the lower right corner just over the "W" in "W. Montrose" is Ridgewood High School at Montrose & Oketo in Norridge. That southernmost red block of Maine South territory is literally 1 block north of Ridgewood's football field.

Per Zillow, the median home price in Park Ridge is $420,000; in Norridge it's $268,000 and in Hardwood Heights it's $251,000; but that's superfluous. More so, those areas down there contain things like the Cascades condos, Clock Tower Pointe condos, and a ridiculous numbers of three flats, twelve flats, etc. Incredibly inexpensive "in" to Maine South territory without owning a McMansion in Park Ridge. I have three friends who graduated from Maine East with me in 1981 who had kids on the year's Maine South football team. I've discussed this with them many times and they just kinda smirk and say "well, that's Maine South..".

We have some less expensive apartments in the NE part of Palatine. I was simply suggesting(sarcastically of course..) that we could do a similar type thing here so we could hold onto a very good coach.

10f496x.jpg

Oh sure, I was referring to the sketchy non-contiguous parts of MS territory in Oriole Park/Norridge/Hardwood Heights that were NOT part of District 207 when I went to Maine East from 1977-1981.

The little yellow schoolhouse in the upper left of the picture is Maine South at Dee & Talcott in Park Ridge. The white square(with the football field just to the north of it) in the lower right corner just over the "W" in "W. Montrose" is Ridgewood High School at Montrose & Oketo in Norridge. That southernmost red block of Maine South territory is literally 1 block north of Ridgewood's football field.

Per Zillow, the median home price in Park Ridge is $420,000; in Norridge it's $268,000 and in Hardwood Heights it's $251,000; but that's superfluous. More so, those areas down there contain things like the Cascades condos, Clock Tower Pointe condos, and a ridiculous numbers of three flats, twelve flats, etc. Incredibly inexpensive "in" to Maine South territory without owning a McMansion in Park Ridge. I have three friends who graduated from Maine East with me in 1981 who had kids on the year's Maine South football team. I've discussed this with them many times and they just kinda smirk and say "well, that's Maine South..".

We have some less expensive apartments in the NE part of Palatine. I was simply suggesting(sarcastically of course..) that we could do a similar type thing here so we could hold onto a very good coach.

10f496x.jpg
Okay so they were not apart of the district in the early 80's. Why does this bother you so much?

10f496x.jpg

If you went to Maine East, you know very well that there are parts of Park Ridge that are nice and parts that are, um, less nice relative to home values and rents. Since you referenced Zillow, there are presently 13 homes on the market right now in Park Ridge with asking prices less than the $268K which you list as the current median home price in Norridge. All are in the Maine South enrollment area, since all but a very tiny sliver of Park Ridge north of Dempster is within that area -- including the area that gives residents the option to attend either ME or MS. That enrollment area also has rental apartments that can currently be rented for as low as $825/month.

The point of the above is to say that families don't have to move to Norridge or Harwood Hts as a means of establishing residence in the MS enrollment area on the cheap. They can also find cheap housing within the MS area of Park Ridge if they want.

Do you have personal knowledge of any/many families who do what you suggest specifically to get into MS? If so, how many of them do that so that their kids can become part of the MS football program? Of those, how many of them are difference makers within that program?

I am no fan of MS by a long shot, but it bugs me to see folks take shots at them without offering any specific evidence of wrongdoing or shenanigans. Lord knows, there has been enough hard evidence over the years that we don't need hearsay and assumptions to take our shots at them. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: MS4EVER
I wanted nothing to do with CPS or all boys schools. Nazareth was a culture shock to a Southsider, but loved it.

Both of my parents are products of Catholic schooling; south siders. My mom at Mt. Assisi, my dad at Rice. They really valued (and still do) Catholic education. My dad was the baseball coach at Principal at Driscoll my entire life. If I had it my way, I would have went there, and I thought I was going there. Before the test, he dropped a bomb. He had accepted a job at Glenbard West, and Driscoll was too far from LaGrange to travel everyday, so I would attend Nazareth. I stayed up, pleading with my dad, until probably 2am to attend DC. He probably just got sick of me, agreed, and told me to go to bed. From LaGrange, the quickest way to DC was to take Ogden to 294. We turned on to Ogden Ave that morning, and ended up in the parking lot at the Academy. He handed me a calculator, and #2 pencil and said sorry. It ended up working out just fine. Even now, living in Western Illinois, I still feel very connected to the school. I had a great experience there. If I'm ever to have any kids, I would totally love to send them to get a Catholic education. Not so much for the religious aspect of things, but I really feel like the values, stick-to-it attitude, among other things, I learned in the halls of the school on Ogden Ave. have greatly helped me. And, I obviously have no frame of reference, but who knows if that would have happened had I go to the public option? Things would have went differently, so it's hard to say.

Last edited:
Both of my parents are products of Catholic schooling; south siders. My mom at Mt. Assisi, my dad at Rice. They really valued (and still do) Catholic education. My dad was the baseball coach at Principal at Driscoll my entire life. If I had it my way, I would have went there, and I thought I was going there. Before the test, he dropped a bomb. He had accepted a job at Glenbard West, and Driscoll was too far from LaGrange to travel everyday, so I would attend Nazareth. I stayed up, pleading with my dad, until probably 2am to attend DC. He probably just got sick of me, agreed, and told me to go to bed. From LaGrange, the quickest way to DC was to take Ogden to 294. We turned on to Ogden Ave that morning, and ended up in the parking lot at the Academy. He handed me a calculator, and #2 pencil and said sorry. It ended up working out just fine. Even now, living in Western Illinois, I still feel very connected to the school. I had a great experience there. If I'm ever to have any kids, I would totally love to send them to get a Catholic education. Not so much for the religious aspect of things, but I really feel like the values, stick-to-it attitude, among other things, I learned in the halls of the school on Ogden Ave.

I understand completely. My ninety minute trip each way to Mount Carmel required three separate CTA busses. I never regretted it.

Started in public school until a 3rd grade "talent show". My mother was horrified as she saw 5th grade girls dancing to "Push It" by Salt-n-Peppa. That was on a Friday. On Monday, I was standing in line in full uniform at St. Jude the Apostle in South Holland. Finally, my mom forced me to play football in 7th and 8th grade. Coach Tarala was nuts. Scared the sh!t out of me, even when he was happy. Didn't enjoy football at all. All of my friends were going to Mt. Carmel to play ball. I asked my mom where I was going and she said Marian Catholic (in her words, "To get an education"). Best thing my mom ever did for me. She had to work an extra job and we scrounged for $ all 4 years but she did it. Mattio was the best. Hard as hell on me but he helped me become a man. Played college ball and now going into my 12th year as a HS teacher and football coach. I can only thank 2 people for where I am today, Mom and Mattio. If I become 1/100th the coach Mattio was, I will be happy. RIP Coach. Thank you Mom.

Started in public school until a 3rd grade "talent show". My mother was horrified as she saw 5th grade girls dancing to "Push It" by Salt-n-Peppa. That was on a Friday. On Monday, I was standing in line in full uniform at St. Jude the Apostle in South Holland. Finally, my mom forced me to play football in 7th and 8th grade. Coach Tarala was nuts. Scared the sh!t out of me, even when he was happy. Didn't enjoy football at all. All of my friends were going to Mt. Carmel to play ball. I asked my mom where I was going and she said Marian Catholic (in her words, "To get an education"). Best thing my mom ever did for me. She had to work an extra job and we scrounged for $ all 4 years but she did it. Mattio was the best. Hard as hell on me but he helped me become a man. Played college ball and now going into my 12th year as a HS teacher and football coach. I can only thank 2 people for where I am today, Mom and Mattio. If I become 1/100th the coach Mattio was, I will be happy. RIP Coach. Thank you Mom.
Great story, I didn't like my grade school coach either, so much neighborhood politics, kids getting playing time over others because their parents were friends...I guess it happens everywhere. When you get to high school it's a different ball game, no favorites, at least not like grade school, best players play. This is their job, they aren't volunteers. Glad you stuck with it, I'm glad I did too, lot of kids get turned off by coaches in grade school, it's tough, and they end up throwing in the towel in high school.

[QUOTE="
Do you have personal knowledge of any/many families who do what you suggest specifically to get into MS? If so, how many of them do that so that their kids can become part of the MS football program? Of those, how many of them are difference makers within that program?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I won't name names, but at least 6 that I know of were well off families that rented apts/townhomes in those areas so their sons could play at Maine South. One was a star there.

Both of my parents are products of Catholic schooling; south siders. My mom at Mt. Assisi, my dad at Rice. They really valued (and still do) Catholic education. My dad was the baseball coach at Principal at Driscoll my entire life. If I had it my way, I would have went there, and I thought I was going there. Before the test, he dropped a bomb. He had accepted a job at Glenbard West, and Driscoll was too far from LaGrange to travel everyday, so I would attend Nazareth. I stayed up, pleading with my dad, until probably 2am to attend DC. He probably just got sick of me, agreed, and told me to go to bed. From LaGrange, the quickest way to DC was to take Ogden to 294. We turned on to Ogden Ave that morning, and ended up in the parking lot at the Academy. He handed me a calculator, and #2 pencil and said sorry. It ended up working out just fine. Even now, living in Western Illinois, I still feel very connected to the school. I had a great experience there. If I'm ever to have any kids, I would totally love to send them to get a Catholic education. Not so much for the religious aspect of things, but I really feel like the values, stick-to-it attitude, among other things, I learned in the halls of the school on Ogden Ave. have greatly helped me. And, I obviously have no frame of reference, but who knows if that would have happened had I go to the public option? Things would have went differently, so it's hard to say.

Your dad is a great coach and an even better guy. I played for him at DC (he was my frosh FB coach and varsity baseball coach for 3 years).

Reactions: ChicagoIllini9
Yes I lost the argument of #1 to @JCHILLTOPPERS (and his band of merry Darksiders) but that didn't matter. /QUOTE]

That was a tough vote, trust me. Either way, the tony area along Lake Ellyn is never a bad choice, but with Hetlet, it makes all that much easier. Now if I can just borrow $2.2M for one of those houses...

Born and raised in Yorkville. My three brothers and I graduated from there. Older brothers played football at Yorkville. Oldest played at NIU back in the late 80's early 90's under Jerry Pettibone. Was a die hard Huskie fan growing up watching Marshall Taylor and Stacy Robinson run the option! Family would travel the mid-west for NIU games on Saturdays. Watching the Huskies made me fall in love with the game of football.

Earned a teaching job in Batavia in 2005. Been here ever since teaching mathematics and plan on retiring here. Undergrad in math from Western Illinois University. Graduate degrees, one mathematics and one in curriculum and instruction, from Aurora University.

Have two young kids, four year old girl and four month old boy. Wife and I plan on having them both go to Batavia Public Schools.

Started coaching football for Batavia after the 2006 state championship game. Currently head sophomore coach and call the offense for that level. Strength and conditioning coach during the off season keeps me in shape working out with the team.

Fully converted from a Fox to a Bulldog long time ago. Very blessed to have a job and raise a family in the tri-city area.

Born and raised in Yorkville. My three brothers and I graduated from there. Older brothers played football at Yorkville. Oldest played at NIU back in the late 80's early 90's under Jerry Pettibone. Was a die hard Huskie fan growing up watching Marshall Taylor and Stacy Robinson run the option! Family would travel the mid-west for NIU games on Saturdays. Watching the Huskies made me fall in love with the game of football.

Earned a teaching job in Batavia in 2005. Been here ever since teaching mathematics and plan on retiring here. Undergrad in math from Western Illinois University. Graduate degrees, one mathematics and one in curriculum and instruction, from Aurora University.

Have two young kids, four year old girl and four month old boy. Wife and I plan on having them both go to Batavia Public Schools.

Started coaching football for Batavia after the 2006 state championship game. Currently head sophomore coach and call the offense for that level. Strength and conditioning coach during the off season keeps me in shape working out with the team.

Fully converted from a Fox to a Bulldog long time ago. Very blessed to have a job and raise a family in the tri-city area.

Considering your love of NIU Football growing up, surprised you attended Western and not NIU. Why?

I went to both Catholic and Public schools in HS. Gordon as a frosh and graduated from Reavis. I always loved sports - especially baseball and football, but didn't really get into HS football until my son decided to play youth ball. One thing led to another and I started coaching pee-wee ball. That fed into some deep interest to the point that I am now a certified baseball ump for the IHSA and football ref for the IHSAA.

One of my sons played for Lincoln-Way when there was only one, and was fortunate enough to be a member of the Knights' only state championship team. He was awarded a scholarship to 1-AA Western Ky. U and was also fortunate enough to be a contributing member of their only National Championship team. He grew up and now pursues a career as an NCAA football position coach.

As soon as I can get back on my feet, I hope to lead a football crew in the IHSAA again this season. DAMN!!!! I love football!

Catholic grade school from 80-88.
Had an older sister graduate from Marian.
Used to hang around MC at sporting events.
Hillcrest was not an option for me.
Attended sports camps at various schools growing up.
Parents gave me the "illusion" to look at other schools (Marist, Rice, Quigley South).
I chose Marian, and Marian was really the only logical choice.
Marian now is not what it once was, but I loved every minute of it.

Reactions: USD24
One of my sons played for Lincoln-Way when there was only one, and was fortunate enough to be a member of the Knights' only state championship team.
Coach Augustine was my sons favorite coach of all time!

Reactions: LWPops
Parents told me I could go to any Catholic HS I wanted. We lived between Curie and Kelly but neither one was an option.

Choice came down to Rita or D. Graduated from Rita, have worked at D for last 16 years. Funny how that worked out. Had a solid experience at Rita, but I bleed royal and gold instead of navy and red :)

Reactions: RockSoup
Coach Augustine was my sons favorite coach of all time!
Good ol' Coach Augie
FYI, Dale Augustine, now retired from teaching for a few years, will start his 2nd year on the varsity staff at LWE, coming over from LWN after its closing. He was always a big part of the latter's success, just as he was at LWC before that. Somebody should sponsor/nominate Augie for the IL FB Coaches Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Bwm57
First of all, great thread.
I attended a Catholic Grammar school in Evergreen Park. Directly in the middle of all the CCL Blue schools. My father took me to all of the Open Houses and I really liked Rita and Rice. He hadn't brought me to MC yet and I figured out why later (He knew). He was a LEO grad, we went there as well. Like any impressionable 8th grader, I liked something about each school and said I was going there as soon as I left..
I had a cousin at MC at the time. I grew up going to MC games and Fight Nights. My one Grammar school coach was a Rita guy and I even ended up holding the wires during the Rita games which I thought was cool in 7th grade.
I had uncles play and coach at MC very successfully though. I had brothers and cousins coming up behind me too.
The week of the exam I remember telling my teacher (Rita guy) at school I really liked Rita. But I always knew I was going to MC in the back of my head. The night before the exam I told my parents Rita after the Rita priest called from my parish and said he would see me in the morning.
That night my mom told me that I was going to be picked up by a father in the neighborhood to go take the test at MC. I was very happy. We had 9 of 14 boys from our class going to MC that morning. I was also happy that I had grew physically from 7th to 8th grade and felt I could do well since seeing the kids at the camps.
The only thing I asked her and my dad was why they made me go to all of those damn open houses!
Fast forward to Freshman incoming camp...I meet guys from Bridgeport, Canaryville, the East Side, Pullman and every other damn neighborhood that had 13 year olds who had beards and deep voices. We had a blast and never would have met all the friends I have today. I don't have some great success story. Made the B baseball team, played football all 4 years, started some games, boxed 2 years (The 1st year one of my best friends) and made it to Fight Night my senior year.
Best decision of my life. Just as everyone else on this thread has made.

Reactions: McCaravan
ADVERTISEMENT