ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the best HS combo Football/Baseball of all time?

How about JCA's Nick Iannantone? 300+ yards rushing against Montini in the championship game vs Montini Catholic & stud outfielder for JCA still playing for a potential 3A title.

Reactions: USD24
Hard to disagree with your choice.
Dude was a stud and won a Super Bowl!

He seemed like a good guy. I was fortunate to have a beer with Mike the year they won the Super Bowl for Tampa. I was on vacation in Clearwater FL with the family. He signed autographs for my sons as we just BS about Chicago.

I know this is HS but I just want to say Bo Jackson! He had kids attending both Fenwick and Montini.

Reactions: Gene K.
From the old days Pat Pezavento from JC. Played in early 80s. Went on to play both at ND

Back in the late 90s, Andrew had a 4-3 front MLB who was catcher in baseball. Nick Trzesniak led the T-Bolt defense to the 6A semis and was a 1st round draft choice by the Padres.

Reactions: mullin17 and USD24
If we are talking about their high school playing days, I would think Matt Lottich is in the conversation.
And hoops was the sport that took him to Stanford...he was the best all around athlete I've seen in my days.

And hoops was the sport that took him to Stanford...he was the best all around athlete I've seen in my days.

I'd go with Randle-El. I played against him in baseball when I was at Rita. While baseball was his weakest sport, he still a very solid varsity ballplayer. And obviously 'off the charts' good in football and basketball.

From the old days Pat Pezavento from JC. Played in early 80s. Went on to play both at ND

that name rings a bell. does he have a twin brother? i'm remembering the name(s) from Sterling's 1983 playoff game vs JCA.

Greg Luzinski was 10th pick in the MLB draft? He also had offers from ND and others as a linebacker and fullback.

Reactions: ESCC fan
Michael Hermosillo from Ottawa was committed to U of I for football and now plays for the LA Angels.

Peter Patton of Loyola was a great all around athlete.

Yes, he was. If you hadn't mentioned him, I would have. Three year varsity starter for football, hoops, and baseball. We all know that two sport athletes are rare, and three sport athletes are practically non-existent. Not only did Peter play all three of these sports at an extremely high level, he did so at a relatively large school on teams that were very successful and playing against some of the most rugged competition in the state. I'm not aware of anyone coming close to achieving what he did under the circumstances he did them, nor can I imagine anyone doing it in the future.

There are several MC players who excelled in both, but this Carmel fan is going to give a shout out to a Rita player, Marty Bechina. Marty was All State in Football and Baseball at Rita and has had a excellent career at Michigan St. Last fall Marty’s Father was one of the several Chicago Police Officers who succumbed to depression and took his own life. I worked with his Father many times. Marty stepped on the gas this past season and kicked ass for his Dad. I’m praying he gets drafted next week because he deserves it. Best wishes Marty!!

There are several MC players who excelled in both, but this Carmel fan is going to give a shout out to a Rita player, Marty Bechina. Marty was All State in Football and Baseball at Rita and has had a excellent career at Michigan St. Last fall Marty’s Father was one of the several Chicago Police Officers who succumbed to depression and took his own life. I worked with his Father many times. Marty stepped on the gas this past season and kicked ass for his Dad. I’m praying he gets drafted next week because he deserves it. Best wishes Marty!!

Very classy post!

Matt Williams Geneva. He was the best player on the baseball field and football field each time.

Jonathon Voss in the late 80's at JC was a pretty good three sport athlete. He was all area in baseball,football and basketball. Point guard on hoops team that went to sweet sixteen in largest class , starting 3b and 3 hitter on baseball team that went to elite 8 in largest class and finished year ranked in top 15 in the country, quarterback on football team that won state championship in second largest class. Went on to play baseball at Mizzou and then Lewis.

Jonathon Voss in the late 80's at JC was a pretty good three sport athlete. He was all area in baseball,football and basketball. Point guard on hoops team that went to sweet sixteen in largest class , starting 3b and 3 hitter on baseball team that went to elite 8 in largest class and finished year ranked in top 15 in the country, quarterback on football team that won state championship in second largest class. Went on to play baseball at Mizzou and then Lewis.

Impressive. JC was in the ESCC at that point, right?

Joe Karmeris Reavis High School.Too bad for his demons.Could have made it big.Great guy.Left us way too young @ 44 years of age

ADVERTISEMENT