ADVERTISEMENT

Who Are Your Picks to Win State?

8A - LWE over Warren (This is a tough game to pick - Warrens defense will punch you in the face....then go punch your Mom in the face..LOL)
7A - Naz (This is a very good Class of Teams, so it wont be easy)
6A - Prairie Ridge (They play a game that can keep the ball away from ESL's offense)
5A - Montini - (They might make it look easy)
4A - Columbia
3A - Fiarfield
2A - Nashville
1A - Central A&M (Seriously good team)

No ones remembering the close game Sycamore gave Montini last year and they went 8-1 this year
Don’t sleep on them. Sterling will be a tough out too at home their first two games but if Saint Rita comes out of Sterling with a win I’m guessing they will be your a state champion in 5A (this is assuming Sterling and Rita win 1st round)

Reactions: Wassup13
SR and JCA shouldn't be in class 5A ...
Where should JCA be? They played exactly 1 game against an 8A school this season and every other game against 6A schools or below. On the flip side, MC played in a division where every other team is in 8A, add in MS and MC played 4 of their 8 in state games against 8A teams, yet our enrollment puts us in 7A and no one is hollering about it.
JCA’s enrollment puts them in 5A, they are in a conference that has teams that span every class so there are bound to be games they play against higher class teams in the regular season.

Where should JCA be? They played exactly 1 game against an 8A school this season and every other game against 6A schools or below. On the flip side, MC played in a division where every other team is in 8A, add in MS and MC played 4 of their 8 in state games against 8A teams, yet our enrollment puts us in 7A and no one is hollering about it.
JCA’s enrollment puts them in 5A, they are in a conference that has teams that span every class so there are bound to be games they play against higher class teams in the regular season.

Quit trying to reason with him, he's going to die on this hill alone.

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
No ones remembering the close game Sycamore gave Montini last year and they went 8-1 this year
Don’t sleep on them. Sterling will be a tough out too at home their first two games but if Saint Rita comes out of Sterling with a win I’m guessing they will be your a state champion in 5A (this is assuming Sterling and Rita win 1st round)

I'm not forgetting those games. Some great battles!

Don't think Montini could beat St Rita twice. Rita a better team now. Just look at the ND games.
St. Rita is still too young. Montini experience last year serves them well vs the young Mustangs.

St. Rita is still too young. Montini experience last year serves them well vs the young Mustangs.

Replace St. Rita with JCA and rewind the clock 12 months. Exact same posturing was going on here and look what that got the Broncos.

Reactions: RockSoup
Yes I was the only one who predicted JCA was hot last year and would win state. They did!
Yes, a senior heavy group.
Replace St. Rita with JCA and rewind the clock 12 months. Exact same posturing was going on here and look what that got the Broncos.
Understood. I was wondering if it was going to be 3 weeks of this. Good luck and good health Broncos this weekend!

And if the stars align and we meet again, we can posture that week. Too many good teams in 5A north to even entertain that scenario at this point.

Reactions: mchsalumni
I don't want to sound like Wassup, but I'm intrigued by Sycamore this year.

Date Time Result Score Opp.
Score
OT H/A Opponent Opp.
Record
Opp.
Enroll.
Other Site/Game Info
Aug 30 7:00 W 24 0 H Washington 6-3 1329.00
Sep 6 8:00 L 0 13 A DeKalb 6-3 1815.00 NIU Huskie Stadium
Sep 13 7:00 W 35 14 A Maple Park (Kaneland) 7-2 1328.00
Sep 20 7:00 W 44 0 H Ottawa (Twp.) 1-8 1353.50
Sep 27 7:00 W 49 0 A Sandwich 4-5 698.50
Oct 4 7:00 W 35 6 H Morris 7-2 847.50
Oct 11 7:00 W 42 6 A Rochelle 4-5 901.50
Oct 18 7:15 W 45 0 H LaSalle (L.-Peru) 5-4 1217.50
Oct 25 7:00 W 56 0 A Plano 2-7 708.00

Only loss is to a good 7A DeKalb team on the road. 5 shutouts and only 39 points given up all year. I suspect this might be one of their best teams of recent vintage, and they've given Montini problems in the past. Plus, the second round game would be at Sycamore, if it happens. Is this the year they finally slay the Montini dragon?

8 - Warren over LWE (Six Flags, natch)
7 - Batavia over MC (I dunno why)
6 - EStL over PR (by 4 TDs)
5 - Reeters over JCA (sorry JCHill)
4 - St Francis over Columbia (Homer call)
3 - Byron over Williamsville (sans clue)
2 - St Teresa over Fieldcrest (St T is a babe)
1 - Lena over Central A&M (Mortal lock)

Reactions: Googertys Dog
LA (I doubted them once. Never happening again. Very young but extremely talented team. They have been in the finals 6 out of 8 years and are the defending champs.)

MC (young team too and will dominate 7A for the next few years)

ESL (no doubt. All gas no breaks)

Rita (this team is good. Been saying it all year. KB and the Reeters roll)

That will be 3 CCLB teams. Not too shabby.

I don't want to sound like Wassup, but I'm intrigued by Sycamore this year.

Date Time Result Score Opp.
Score
OT H/A Opponent Opp.
Record
Opp.
Enroll.
Other Site/Game Info
Aug 30 7:00 W 24 0 H Washington 6-3 1329.00
Sep 6 8:00 L 0 13 A DeKalb 6-3 1815.00 NIU Huskie Stadium
Sep 13 7:00 W 35 14 A Maple Park (Kaneland) 7-2 1328.00
Sep 20 7:00 W 44 0 H Ottawa (Twp.) 1-8 1353.50
Sep 27 7:00 W 49 0 A Sandwich 4-5 698.50
Oct 4 7:00 W 35 6 H Morris 7-2 847.50
Oct 11 7:00 W 42 6 A Rochelle 4-5 901.50
Oct 18 7:15 W 45 0 H LaSalle (L.-Peru) 5-4 1217.50
Oct 25 7:00 W 56 0 A Plano 2-7 708.00

Only loss is to a good 7A DeKalb team on the road. 5 shutouts and only 39 points given up all year. I suspect this might be one of their best teams of recent vintage, and they've given Montini problems in the past. Plus, the second round game would be at Sycamore, if it happens. Is this the year they finally slay the Montini dragon?

Sterling left the NIB 12 and Sycamore picked up 2 small schools that play 3 or 4 A so any good team would have blown out Plano and Sandwich, Ottawa was horrible this year, quality wins were Morris and Kaneland, regardless Sycamore is well coached and always has good line play and defense. I would expect a similar game as last year against Montini with Montini having the edge having played tougher opponents. I would love to see a Sterling Sycamore semi final as the two teams became rivals when Sterling was in NIB 12 but Saint Rita and Montini will probably be the favorites.

Reactions: pjjp
I play the hot team at the end of the year just like I play the hot goaltender at the end of the year like hockey.

If you look at the ND game Montini got spanked and Rita beat ND. Montini possibly has to play at Sycamore. This is a 50/50 or 55/45 game in favor of Sycamore.

That's why I pick Rita to win state over JCA which will likely be a one point game.

ADVERTISEMENT