ADVERTISEMENT

Who are the Dark Horse Teams this season?

Magnum Opus

Jul 14, 2018
I'm new and my son plays HS FB in Illinois. I've seen a lot this summer and am slightly jaded. I don't want what team he plays on to be exposed, but I would like to hear some thoughts on any teams the board might think will do a complete "180" from last year.

Last edited:
I'm new and my son plays HS FB in Illinois. I've seen a lot this summer and am slightly jaded. I don't want what team he plays on to be exposed, but I would to hear some thoughts on any teams the board might think will do a complete "180" from last year.

Welcome aboard!!

My Darkhorse pick to make a deep run in 8A is Warren. They were good last year and a playoff team, so it’s not a 180 degree move from last year, but I think they make the quarterfinals or better in the playoffs this year

If you are asking for a team that had a bad record and will do a complete 180 record wise - that’s tough. I think I will go with wheaton Warrenville South. They were 2-7 last year but were competitive in most games and there were 3 or 4 games that could have gone to the win column with just a play or two difference. This year they have a much easier non conference schedule and several easier games in their new Conference vs last year. I think they will go from 2-7 to 5-4 and make the playoffs.

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
I agree with Warren as going to the next level. Not a harder hitting team out there and McNulty has grown as a coach. WWS is a ood call. Young athletic team in a new confernce. That new conference is awfully good btw.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I think Reavis will be good.Had a down year last year but some bad breaks.
With 5 of their opponents this season having losing records last year and the other 4 losing in Round 1 of the playoffs, their schedule looks indicative of a potential turn-around

Reactions: Magnum Opus
Why do I feel like more teams will do a 180...but head south? This is just a statement...I don't want to be critical of any teams...just want to know the 180 teams going north.

I don't know if you could ever call JCA a dark horse, but after back to back playoff misses, I think they could be a real threat in 5a this year

Bradley-Bourbonnais' 2-7 was an anomaly in 2017 compared to the last several seasons, so they could rebound. Their sophs were 2-4 in the conference, but may have had some players up, which is common down there. All they need is another athlete like Cam Harrell to roll in and their staff has shown the capacity to get such a player to make a big impact. In-league, they avoid LWE but do catch H-F and the 'Brook. Their 3 non-cons only won a total of 6 games among them last season, also.

York went 1-8 last year but brings back some talent at the skill positions and a new head coach. I guess a total 180 would be going 8-1, which I don't think will happen. But I think York will be more competitive in the WSC and could win 5 games.

York went 1-8 last year but brings back some talent at the skill positions and a new head coach. I guess a total 180 would be going 8-1, which I don't think will happen. But I think York will be more competitive in the WSC and could win 5 games.
I bet big on that over of 5 wins. Great new Coach and speed everywhere. Saw them in two 7v7's and they really stood out. It seemed like they've been doing it for years. York was Superior vs. a very very good Naz team. I agree that 8-1 is a stretch, but this team should be playing in November. GREAT Call!

I have one. Crystal Lake South. Aside from Huntley, the Fox Valley is a running conference and always very good at it. Crystal Lake South could have the biggest offensive line in the history of high school football (lol). They have two D1 linemen and another that will eventually play D1. They have one of the faster RBs in the state. 3-6 last year
Easy to say this is a "180" team with a 6-3 record. Could be 7-2 or 8-1 with good coaching and a pass game (which they may not need)

I agree with Warren as going to the next level. Not a harder hitting team out there and McNulty has grown as a coach. WWS is a ood call. Young athletic team in a new confernce. That new conference is awfully good btw.

Agree - that new Conference is DVC 7A variant (well Lake Park can be the 8A outlier).

I have one. Crystal Lake South. Aside from Huntley, the Fox Valley is a running conference and always very good at it. Crystal Lake South could have the biggest offensive line in the history of high school football (lol). They have two D1 linemen and another that will eventually play D1. They have one of the faster RBs in the state. 3-6 last year
Easy to say this is a "180" team with a 6-3 record. Could be 7-2 or 8-1 with good coaching and a pass game (which they may not need)

I am really intrigued by the Fox Valley this year. I think it will be one of the most interesting to watch this fall and see how it unfolds. I think there are 4 or 5 teams in the mix vs the past two years where PR owned the Conference (with one tough game vs CG that could have gone either way)

Reactions: lkhammer57
I bet big on that over of 5 wins. Great new Coach and speed everywhere. Saw them in two 7v7's and they really stood out. It seemed like they've been doing it for years. York was Superior vs. a very very good Naz team. I agree that 8-1 is a stretch, but this team should be playing in November. GREAT Call!
Wait York was superior to Naz?

Nvm deleted, eye of the beholder. Good luck to York, lots to be excited about over there.

Last edited:
Nvm deleted, eye of the beholder. Good luck to York, lots to be excited about over there.
I have no skin in the game...either way. Impartial...and just my opinion. I'm not posting to make anyone mad and I'm sorry if I did. Just replying to another post in which I had some knowledge.

So sitting back watching all these 7 on 7 as a long time coach and I noticed this York qb and the kid can play. By far the best qb I've seen all year. Let's hope York does well because this kid is the real deal.

So sitting back watching all these 7 on 7 as a long time coach and I noticed this York qb and the kid can play. By far the best qb I've seen all year. Let's hope York does well because this kid is the real deal.
I agree! That's what leveled the field against Naz

To cheat...look at the Glenbard East Team Preview. A 6-3 record in 2018 is a 180 team. I don't know too much about them, but they return a lot of kids and seem to have a favorable schedule.

Always loved Reavis. Tough to grow a program with the other neighboring programs taking from their pool of players.
Look at the run Burbank had.Imagine(and I loved St.Laurence) if the Burbank kids all went to Reavis.Many of the studs at Laurence were Burbank kids.Reavis would have won state a truckload of times.Many of the studs who went to Larry & Reavis left Burbank & had kids who were stars @ Oak Forest,The lincoln Ways,Lemont,etc.Back in the day you NEVER left Burbank.Burbank is still pretty safe but not the same.It used to be people with Polish,Irish,German backgrounds.Football players.Now it is spanish,arabic,polish speaking kids very few who play football.The Titans feeder team were a monster & won many championships.Top Coaches helped too.

Reactions: Magnum Opus
I am really intrigued by the Fox Valley this year. I think it will be one of the most interesting to watch this fall and see how it unfolds. I think there are 4 or 5 teams in the mix vs the past two years where PR owned the Conference (with one tough game vs CG that could have gone either way)
I'm very excited to see what happens in this conference, I think it will be extremely competitive. I definitely see CG as the favorite in the conference again but I am not willing to count out Huntley. After that I think there are a good handful of teams, where depending on how things play out could be bubble playoff teams. I look at Central, McHenry, South, PR, and Dundee Crown, and I think all of these teams should have pretty good squads, but the 9 team conference and only having 1 non con game really hurts the teams in this middle ground of the conference. From what I am hearing from other coaches in the FVC Crown has a ton of players returning and they look to be competing for a playoff spot. Central is coming off a playoff birth last year after a hiatus for a few years and I am hearing they have a pretty athletic quarterback that is more athletic than what Staples was, also it will be year 3 of this staff in place and numbers are up in there program, so we will see if they can take another stride in the right direction. South has possibly the best and biggest line the state, but lets see how it works out for them this year. PR is the ultimate question mark as they go back to the well to see if there is enough talent there to reload that team that was lead by many seniors who were 3 and 4 year starters. Finally, McHenry after looking great two years ago to just missing the playoffs last year, and now losing their HC due to legal troubles (to say the least) you have to wonder how that will affect the kids. I sure hope the kids are able to get past this and enjoy a successful season. Either way this conference sure is going to be fun to watch and see how it plays out and which teams make it to the playoffs.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I don't know if you could ever call JCA a dark horse, but after back to back playoff misses, I think they could be a real threat in 5a this year
Absolutely JCA is a dark horse.
When you only win 4 games over the last 2 seasons you're not scaring anyone off.

Reactions: McCaravan
I'm very excited to see what happens in this conference, I think it will be extremely competitive. I definitely see CG as the favorite in the conference again but I am not willing to count out Huntley. After that I think there are a good handful of teams, where depending on how things play out could be bubble playoff teams. I look at Central, McHenry, South, PR, and Dundee Crown, and I think all of these teams should have pretty good squads, but the 9 team conference and only having 1 non con game really hurts the teams in this middle ground of the conference. From what I am hearing from other coaches in the FVC Crown has a ton of players returning and they look to be competing for a playoff spot. Central is coming off a playoff birth last year after a hiatus for a few years and I am hearing they have a pretty athletic quarterback that is more athletic than what Staples was, also it will be year 3 of this staff in place and numbers are up in there program, so we will see if they can take another stride in the right direction. South has possibly the best and biggest line the state, but lets see how it works out for them this year. PR is the ultimate question mark as they go back to the well to see if there is enough talent there to reload that team that was lead by many seniors who were 3 and 4 year starters. Finally, McHenry after looking great two years ago to just missing the playoffs last year, and now losing their HC due to legal troubles (to say the least) you have to wonder how that will affect the kids. I sure hope the kids are able to get past this and enjoy a successful season. Either way this conference sure is going to be fun to watch and see how it plays out and which teams make it to the playoffs.
Great post and to add - I think Huntley plays Naper North, PR plays Waub Valley and Cary plays Naper Central. I would bet on the Fox Valley winning at least two of those games. They will have a major impact on who, if any, of the Naper Valley Conf teams making the playoffs.

It used to be people with Polish,Irish,German backgrounds.Football players.Now it is spanish,arabic,polish speaking kids very few who play football.
So if they are just from a Polish background, they probably will play. However, if they know the Polish language few of them play.
giphy.gif

So if they are just from a Polish background, they probably will play. However, if they know the Polish language few of them play.
giphy.gif
Not that I need to explain anything to you but here goes.Back in the day the Mexican kids were pretty big(on a side note I'm still friends with quite a few of them & they don't want to be called Hispanic) & played football.There was no soccer but it was talked about but none of them would bolt football for soccer.Some of them spoke Spanish some didn't.These days you have just a slice of those left but most others speak full Spanish,are not as big & play soccer not football.Same thing with the Polish/European kids.Were pretty big, few spoke Polish,there were a couple that liked soccer but not as much as football, big kids.Peoria Newspaper put such a article in their paper.Now you get just a slice of Polish kids that play football over soccer.Not as big.Polish speaking & love to play soccer.Didn't makeup of the community is all I meant.

Great post and to add - I think Huntley plays Naper North, PR plays Waub Valley and Cary plays Naper Central. I would bet on the Fox Valley winning at least two of those games. They will have a major impact on who, if any, of the Naper Valley Conf teams making the playoffs.
Those are going to be some great games! All of the FVC teams will be one the road. If I wasn't coaching at my high school those would be some games I would make sure to head out to the burbs for.

Absolutely JCA is a dark horse.
When you only win 4 games over the last 2 seasons you're not scaring anyone off.

This is the team they have been building toward for two seasons. Not a dark horse.

Those are going to be some great games! All of the FVC teams will be one the road. If I wasn't coaching at my high school those would be some games I would make sure to head out to the burbs for.

Actually, NC travels to CG for the week 9 game that could have playoff implications.

I would say both Rice and Marist could be nice surprises. Rice has a tough schedule but has some nice returning starters coming back.

I see Smyth getting nod at QB and Bean moving over to slot. OKeefe, Kirts, Sullivan, Connors are solid upfront. Summers and Arquilla are nice receivers if they stay healthy and there are some options at RB. As for D - if McCoy and Fitzgerald stay healthy and Jefferson and Warynko can wreak havoc on the DL then could be interesting. Losing Richardson at K is a tough one. Marist has Markett, Skalitzky and Thompson and should be pass heavy

Not that I need to explain anything to you but here goes.Back in the day the Mexican kids were pretty big(on a side note I'm still friends with quite a few of them & they don't want to be called Hispanic) & played football.There was no soccer but it was talked about but none of them would bolt football for soccer.Some of them spoke Spanish some didn't.These days you have just a slice of those left but most others speak full Spanish,are not as big & play soccer not football.Same thing with the Polish/European kids.Were pretty big, few spoke Polish,there were a couple that liked soccer but not as much as football, big kids.Peoria Newspaper put such a article in their paper.Now you get just a slice of Polish kids that play football over soccer.Not as big.Polish speaking & love to play soccer.Didn't makeup of the community is all I meant.
As a polish speaking football player most kids my age from our my polish school class play soccer only the larger kids will play football. As you get further from the first generation however more tend to play football .

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT