ADVERTISEMENT

White Sox Manager

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
I have no problem w AJ Hinch and think he’s the front runner. But why isn’t Alex Cora or Joey Cora getting any mention? W as many foreign players on the roster, you would think a manger w their make up would be of interests to them. Maybe they are interviewing them.

I know Hinch and Alex Cora played a role in cheating but that is the only way they’d have a shot at a manager w World Series experience.

they wouldn’t do it again - you’d hope.

I don't quite get the MLB mentality of waiting until the very last day for a playoff contender to swap prospects for short-term (AKA rental) starting pitchers (White Sox's Giolito being a prime example).
As I write this, I am putting Texas, Baltimore and Tampa Bay in the postseason.
That leaves three spots, with one going to the ALCentral champion (Minnesota or Cleveland).
So we are really talking about 2 wildcard spots. Currently, Toronto (10 over .500), the NY Yankees (6 over), Boston Red Sox (6 over), and Houston (12 over) are 4 teams certainly battling now for 2 spots. Why not trade with an MLB also-ran (Oakland, Kansas City, White Sox, Washington, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Detroit and Colorado (all teams at least 9 under .500) sooner rather than later to get 2 or 3 or 4 extra starts from Giolito, etc.
You obviously are trading prospects in return for the rentals so for this season, it's a 100-percent add to your team. And the bidding war between "buying" teams should have already started and trades should already have been made to increase the usage of the "rental" players.
What evidence is there that a selling team will get more in return for a rental of Aug. 1 than they will on July 1. Actually, a selling team should get less on Aug. 1 in return because the player being traded can only help a team in 50-plus games instead of 70-plus games.
In the NL, I have the LA Dodgers and Atlanta as playoff locks.
That leaves Philadelphia (6 over 500), Miami (6 over), Milwaukee (10 over) and/or Cincinnati (9 over) (NL Central Division champion), Arizona (8 over) and San Francisco (8 over) ... 6 teams battling for 4 spots.
As for the other 14 teams that range from the LA Angels (2 over .500) to the NY Mets (6 under) ... team GM's just don't talk seriously with those teams now because they aren't apparently ready to sell.
Each of the 8 teams that aren't in a wildcard race must have at least one rental player to trade. Apparently, the White Sox have several. So, I just don't get waiting. Waiting to get more to play less seems counterproductive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT