ADVERTISEMENT

White Sox Hire Tony La Russa As Manager

The third game against Boston in the playoffs was the best baseball game I've ever seen. El Duque came in with the bases loaded and no outs and then pitched a masterpiece.

Last edited:
The Sox going 11-1 on the 2005 playoffs was unbelievable.

Has any other World Series winning team ever played .916 baseball in the playoffs?

Reactions: Blue Ruin
4-4 last night, I’ve been saying for weeks that Billy Hamilton isn’t a weakness in this lineup! 🤣🤣🤣. But seriously, I hope he keeps it up.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
I agree, but if the Sox can do this for a few more weeks and hopefully get a little separation from Cleveland, they'll have a better idea of when Engel will be back and what they need (if anything) at the trade deadline.

Engel is around 2 weeks out from a rehab assignment. Best guess is he’s 4-5 weeks away from being back on the major league roster.

Lamb will likely play first base while Abreu is out but Gavin Sheets is a stud first basemen in the White Sox organization.

Well he didn’t get hit so maybe that was the play. I just don’t like him calling out a guy publicly about an “unwritten” rule.

If this was a 10 year vet who already had a huge contract then fine. But this is a 10 year minor league player fighting for his future MLB contracts. Every stat matters for Yermin, I hope he pads them as much as he can.

TRL ok with Twins throwing at one of his players, what a joke.
Get out of here with these unwritten rules.

And shame on the Twins. Stop sucking and you won’t have to bring a position player in tossing 47 mph and watch a dude crush it….grow up

Good for Lance Lynn speaking his mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: USD24 and caravan8
LaRussa made a rookie manager mistake by taking this to the media. The media didn't need to know any of this. I understand LaRussa being upset Mercedes blew off a signal. But, when Mercedes returned to the dugout LaRussa should have reminded him he missed the take signal. Nothing more. Then after the game he should have had a conversation directly with Mercedes in the clubhouse or in private. Case closed, move on. And if Mercedes disagreed with LaRussa, he could have expressed it directly to him. When he and Baldelli met at the plate to exchange lineups last night he could have mentioned it to him...or not.

Now that the media got ahold of it they will beat the hell out of it and blow it out of proportion, like they do everything else. Look for some bullsh*t poll asking people if LaRussa should have called Mercedes out. A waste of time and totally unnecessary. Now, some of the other players were asked their opinion of it and some are uncomfortable answering the question. The team didn't need the distraction. By the way, they blew a four run lead last night but, because of LaRussa, this crap is being talked about.

Take my word for it. This isn't the last "incident" that will occur with this team this year. Things are good now. Wait till they run into a rough stretch and they will. But, as long as these guys keep this in house and stay the hell off Twitter and other social media garbage sites, it will be easier to weather.

Reactions: eireog and caravan8
TRL ok with Twins throwing at one of his players, what a joke.
Get out of here with these unwritten rules.
Someone needs to get in the club house and shut TLR up. “It is over with and we are moving on.” Is that so hard to say? Jesus Christ!
Today he’s asked about players (Lance Lynn in particular) not agreeing with his stance on the unwritten rules and he says “there’s a reason I have an office and he has a locker.” Just SHUT THE HELL UP and worry about why your set up man is incapable of throwing a clean inning.

Someone needs to get in the club house and shut TLR up. “It is over with and we are moving on.” Is that so hard to say? Jesus Christ!
Today he’s asked about players (Lance Lynn in particular) not agreeing with his stance on the unwritten rules and he says “there’s a reason I have an office and he has a locker.” Just SHUT THE HELL UP and worry about why your set up man is incapable of throwing a clean inning.
Go back to the Ozzie days, remember when he was credited for taking the pressure off the team and bringing it on himself? I think TLR knows a bit how to manage a long season with expectations, but I could be wrong.

Go back to the Ozzie days, remember when he was credited for taking the pressure off the team and bringing it on himself? I think TLR knows a bit how to manage a long season with expectations, but I could be wrong.
The big difference was Ozzie took the pressure off his players by calling out other teams, managers, umps, MLB and even his own organization. LaRussa is calling out his own players.

So we have Anderson and Mercedes taking to Twitter and Eaton baking LaRussa. What could go wrong.

Reactions: caravan8
I'm positive Ozzie, at times, called out his own players.
But he didn't do it through the media like this. He went directly to them. I am actually surprised by LaRussa's actions because he never struck me as being a guy who went to the media with such a non-story.

What other manager is missing their entire outfield and in 1st place right now?
He should be commended for the job he’s done so far this season and how well the Sox are playing right now. He should also be criticized for his public handling of the Mercedes situation. If him criticizing Mercedes was meant to try and protect him from retaliation then that’s commendable. But to come out the next night and say that he has no issues with the Twins throwing at Mercedes is the wrong take.

Interesting. How long have they been out? Jimenez and Engle have not played a game yet for the Sox.
Engel wasn't going to be an everyday starter (4th outfielder). Eaton was signed to be our everyday RF. I'm not dismissing what Tony has done, just answering the question.

Engel wasn't going to be an everyday starter (4th outfielder). Eaton was signed to be our everyday RF. I'm not dismissing what Tony has done, just answering the question.

No you have the wrong Adam. Engle is a better player than Eaton. Better defensively with more power but Engle does have some trouble vs righties but is younger and will get better the more he sees them.

Eaton has never impressed me even with his first stint with the Sox. He is at best a 4th or 5th oufielder. I never wanted the Sox to sign him.

Well, whether you wanted him or not, that's what he was signed to be. I'm an Engel Fan, but he was slated as the 4th outfielder. He impressed the Nationals enough to trade Giolito, Lopez and Dunning (now Lance Lynn) for him.

Missingwalter,

ESPN for 3 years was trying to explain to me why Lebron was the GOAT until they finally figured out it was Jordan. I do my own eye test and don't pay attention to the so-called experts.

I'm just glad we are talking White Sox baseball. You never answered my last question about the Mets.

Missingwalter,

ESPN for 3 years was trying to explain to me why Lebron was the GOAT until they finally figured out it was Jordan. I do my own eye test and don't pay attention to the so-called experts.

I'm just glad we are talking White Sox baseball. You never answered my last question about the Mets.
I don't know, I only knew they were out, because I saw a post about not knowing 1/2 the guy on the field for the Mets, so I looked who was out. I'm sure they've played more games. Whether you doing an eye test or not, Eaton was signed to be the every day RF (several White Sox Based articles state that) and Engel the 4th OF. Could it have changed later? Yes.

Eaton's last season on the Sox, he got MVP votes (19th overall). His first year here he was bad.

Reactions: Wassup13
I don't know, I only knew they were out, because I saw a post about not knowing 1/2 the guy on the field for the Mets, so I looked who was out. I'm sure they've played more games. Whether you doing an eye test or not, Eaton was signed to be the every day RF (several White Sox Based articles state that) and Engel the 4th OF. Could it have changed later? Yes.

Eaton's last season on the Sox, he got MVP votes (19th overall). His first year here he was bad.

Great info!

Hypothetical

I love Yermin but let me ask you does Yermin swing more at balls out of the strike zone than in the strike zone?

I think TLR knew Yermin could hit a homer off a pitcher throwing 50 mph.

Was Tony giving Yermin a teaching moment when he gave the signal not to swing on a 3-0 count?

Can you imagine if Yermin accepted this teaching moment and it was the beginning of him learning the strike zone. Imagine how much more dangerous Yermin would be.

Hypothetical

I love Yermin but let me ask you does Yermin swing more at balls out of the strike zone than in the strike zone?
When he was playing, it was well established that Yogi Berra was a guy who swung at a lot of "bad" pitches. Well, he ended up being a 15 time All Star, won three MVPs, was an MVP runner-up two other times and ended up in the top five in MVP voting two other years as well. And it was very hard to strike him out. Oh, by the way, he's also in the Hall of Fame.

Manny Sanguillen was another guy who swung at a lot of bad pitches. He swung a 35 or 36 inch bat. He hit better than .300 three times and ended up with a lifetime average of .296. Outstanding for a catcher. He was also very hard to strike out.

On the other hand, the first thing Ted Williams said about being successful when hitting was to get a good pitch to hit.

In general, the vast majority of coaches and players will preach swinging at strikes and letting stuff out of the zone go. Tim Anderson is a perfect example of that. Once he learned the strike zone he became a good hitter.

I mentioned the first two guys because every once in a while guys come along who are successful hitting pitches out of the zone. It's pretty rare, however.

Reactions: Wassup13
Hypothetical

I think TLR knew Yermin could hit a homer off a pitcher throwing 50 mph.

Was Tony giving Yermin a teaching moment when he gave the signal not to swing on a 3-0 count?
Nope.

When he was playing, it was well established that Yogi Berra was a guy who swung at a lot of "bad" pitches. Well, he ended up being a 15 time All Star, won three MVPs, was an MVP runner-up two other times and ended up in the top five in MVP voting two other years as well. And it was very hard to strike him out. Oh, by the way, he's also in the Hall of Fame.

Manny Sanguillen was another guy who swung at a lot of bad pitches. He swung a 35 or 36 inch bat. He hit better than .300 three times and ended up with a lifetime average of .296. Outstanding for a catcher. He was also very hard to strike out.

On the other hand, the first thing Ted Williams said about being successful when hitting was to get a good pitch to hit.

In general, the vast majority of coaches and players will preach swinging at strikes and letting stuff out of the zone go. Tim Anderson is a perfect example of that. Once he learned the strike zone he became a good hitter.

I mentioned the first two guys because every once in a while guys come along who are successful hitting pitches out of the zone. It's pretty rare, however.
Vlad was incredible at it.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT