ADVERTISEMENT

White Sox Hire Tony La Russa As Manager

Let’s hope covid is gone by next spring. It’s not good for the elderly.

Tony’s micromanaging, using 6 to 8 pitchers even in a low scoring game and often subbing for position players by the 5th inning, can add 15 minutes to an already 3 hour plus game. Lots of diehard Cardinal fans in my area. One local radio announcer who was a huge fan said often that Tony managed to suck all the joy out of the game with his managing style.

Jeff Passan reporting that this was a Jerry hire and that people within the organization (Hahn) were not pleased. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hahn leaves the organization.

Tony’s micromanaging, using 6 to 8 pitchers even in a low scoring game and often subbing for position players by the 5th inning, can add 15 minutes to an already 3 hour plus game. Lots of diehard Cardinal fans in my area. One local radio announcer who was a huge fan said often that Tony managed to suck all the joy out of the game with his managing style.
I wonder if that radio guy ever watched Ricky Renteria manage?

Yes, this was all Jerry, but at least La Russa is fluent in Spanish. He also has three rings. I wouldn't discount the guy. Besides, does anyone really believe that the Sox won't make the playoff? They're so good that it doesn't matter who is at the helm.

Last edited:
Reactions: UlbKA91
The Sox are entering their championship window. It would be foolish to leave now.
Yes they are! Let me ask you this though, if the Sox win a title in 2-3 years, the story will be how Jerry was smart enough to overrule Hahn and bring in LaRussa over his objections. But if they fail to advance to a WS in the next 2-3 years, the story will be that Hahn has no backbone and should’ve insisted on hiring one of his guys for the job. Jerry cut Hahn’s legs out from under him. What if there’s a disagreement about a trade or signing a player? Does LaRussa go over Hahn’s head to his friend Jerry knowing that he can overrule any objection by Hahn?

Yes they are! Let me ask you this though, if the Sox win a title in 2-3 years, the story will be how Jerry was smart enough to overrule Hahn and bring in LaRussa over his objections. But if they fail to advance to a WS in the next 2-3 years, the story will be that Hahn has no backbone and should’ve insisted on hiring one of his guys for the job. Jerry cut Hahn’s legs out from under him. What if there’s a disagreement about a trade or signing a player? Does LaRussa go over Hahn’s head to his friend Jerry knowing that he can overrule any objection by Hahn?
See Phil Jackson and Jerry Krause for your answer... :p

Reactions: missingwalter
So, the manager is 50 years older than the team. He hasn’t managed a team in a generation, but he speaks Spanish. I change my mind, what a brilliant hire!!
Hey, bring on Dave Duncan and Gene Lamont and we’ve got a real crew.

Does covid affect your taste, smell and proper decision making? (Reinsdorf)

Does covid make you want to do anything to get power and control people? (Pritzger)

Last edited:
Reactions: Googertys Dog
On the one hand we do not need a Yes Man manager who takes a Cy Young award winner out of a dominating game 6 performance because the binder prepared by Sherman and Mr. Peabody says pitchers can’t face hitters 3 times. On the other hand is he bringing his steroids from Oakland and St. Louis with him? Because Madrigal hitting 40 HR’s would be nice.

Reactions: missingwalter
On the one hand we do not need a Yes Man manager who takes a Cy Young award winner out of a dominating game 6 performance because the binder prepared by Sherman and Mr. Peabody says pitchers can’t face hitters 3 times. On the other hand is he bringing his steroids from Oakland and St. Louis with him? Because Madrigal hitting 40 HR’s would be nice.
Don't forget the hacking of other team's computers!

I have thought about this a little more.

I guess this will have to be a wait and see. No sense in talking about other managers who could have been hired. LaRussa is the manager now. I realize the game has changed. But one thing hasn't. Winning. Winning trumps everything else. If LaRussa can get some of these guys to play the game properly...if he can stress pitching and defense...if he can get some of these guys to come to the park ready to play every day...I don't give a sh*t how old he is.

I want to see the Sox win a World Series and I don't care how it's done. So, I ask myself. Since LaRussa is the manager now, do I think he can help win a WS, or would I rather have had Renteria stay? To me, that answer is obvious. Jack McKeon was 72 when the Marlins won the WS in 2003.

Was listening to sports radio yesterday about this and I thought they were making some great points.

The biggest point of all is that this is Reinsdorf's team. He has the right to hire and fire whoever he wants. The problem with that attitude, though, is that it might well result in the departure of his GM who was just named MLB Executive of the Year.

His recent managers (Guillen, Ventura, Renteria, and LaRussa) were not hired after any kind of exhaustive searches. They were more visceral and relationship based hirings than anything else.

Reactions: Gene K.
Most say the manager only effects the outcome of 2 or 3 games per year.
Thus, if LaRussa can manage the bullpen properly, maybe it works.

Was listening to sports radio yesterday about this and I thought they were making some great points.

The biggest point of all is that this is Reinsdorf's team. He has the right to hire and fire whoever he wants. The problem with that attitude, though, is that it might well result in the departure of his GM who was just named MLB Executive of the Year.

His recent managers (Guillen, Ventura, Renteria, and LaRussa) were not hired after any kind of exhaustive searches. They were more visceral and relationship based hirings than anything else.
While I have never been a Reinsdorf fan, I love the idea of him stepping in and taking this risk...if it is one. If it works, he is a genius and if it fails and the window closes on this team, he could lose a generation of Sox fans. The guy is a bettor and I actually like that. The idea of betting is not only in the winning or losing of money. It's the action that draws the crowds.

A lot of people hated George Steinbrenner. But I have still, never seen an owner who wanted to win more than he did. The guy hired and fired GMs and field managers more than anyone. In the end, during his time of ownership and involvement with the Yankees, they won more championships than any other team in baseball.

Reinsdorf owns this directly. And he most likely owned the others too but was shielded by GMs, etc. It is really the same with the McCaskeys. People bitch about the coaches and GMs. But it is the McCaskeys who hire them, just as it is Reinsdorf who hires and fires he personnel.

While I have never been a Reinsdorf fan, I love the idea of him stepping in and taking this risk...if it is one. If it works, he is a genius and if it fails and the window closes on this team, he could lose a generation of Sox fans. The guy is a bettor and I actually like that. The idea of betting is not only in the winning or losing of money. It's the action that draws the crowds.

A lot of people hated George Steinbrenner. But I have still, never seen an owner who wanted to win more than he did. The guy hired and fired GMs and field managers more than anyone. In the end, during his time of ownership and involvement with the Yankees, they won more championships than any other team in baseball.

Reinsdorf owns this directly. And he most likely owned the others too but was shielded by GMs, etc. It is really the same with the McCaskeys. People bitch about the coaches and GMs. But it is the McCaskeys who hire them, just as it is Reinsdorf who hires and fires he personnel.
Steinbrenner also spent a lot more money, which allowed for mistakes to be made.

Reactions: ClownBaby
How many games do you think the manager directly influenced a win or loss?
Let's put it this way. Who makes the decisions on the field? Who makes out a lineup? Who makes pitching changes or leaves pitchers in? Who sends up a pinch hitter? The question was who effects the outcome? I don't necessarily think a manager effects as many wins as he does losses.

Reactions: caravan8
I guess I'm in the minority but I think this is actually a very good hire, the guy has a long track record of success and baseball is the one sport where old coaches/ managers have faired well. The whole idea you need a young hip guy to relate to players is overblow, Tony has won it all at multiple stops and that gives him all the credibility he needs when steps in the locker room. Winning cures all problems and the Sox are set up to win.

Eddie Robinson coached at Grambling until he was 78. Joe Paterno coached at Penn State until age 85. Connie Mack didn't retire until he was 87. Mack is the all-time leader in wins, with 3,731. Tony LaRussa ranks third all time with 2,728. This stat alone should be enough to silence his detractors.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gene K.
For me age is not the biggest factor. Who can't win when you have McGuire, Canseco and Puhols. Never really liked him. Hinch or Cora would get the WS to a world series.

I’m not a Hinch fan at all. He was a product of the Astros roster. Dusty took the same bunch to game 7 of the LCS and he did not have Cole and Verlander. Champ Kind could have won in Houston.

I’m not a Hinch fan at all. He was a product of the Astros roster.
Every manager needs a good roster to win a World Series, LaRussa had some good rosters in his title runs as well. My biggest issue is the names coming out that were considered... LaRussa, Willie Harris & Bruce Bochy (who isn’t a bad candidate). These are all Jerry/Kenny candidates. Hahn clearly had no say in this hire and looked like he was being held hostage at his press conference yesterday.

The players were chosen using one system. LaRussa coaches via a different system. Can the two mesh?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT