ADVERTISEMENT

White Sox Hire Tony La Russa As Manager

I guess I'm in the minority but I think this is actually a very good hire, the guy has a long track record of success and baseball is the one sport where old coaches/ managers have faired well. The whole idea you need a young hip guy to relate to players is overblow, Tony has won it all at multiple stops and that gives him all the credibility he needs when steps in the locker room. Winning cures all problems and the Sox are set up to win.

sorry but nope. Pedigree doesn’t translate well here. it just seems like Reinsdorf cronyism.

Let's put it this way. Who makes the decisions on the field? Who makes out a lineup? Who makes pitching changes or leaves pitchers in? Who sends up a pinch hitter? The question was who effects the outcome? I don't necessarily think a manager effects as many wins as he does losses.

well done. That’s a very safe answer.

Can the two mesh?

If they both can keep in mind their one indivisible goal.

P.S. All this talk about the game has reminded me of "Baseball Shirley," who once made out with nine different guys at a high school party. Shirley was a pretty girl who had nice lips.

Last edited:
Reactions: eireog
Does it really matter? Was Guillen really a good manager or was 2005 lightning in a bottle? Hell it took LA 32 years between championships. LaRussa has just as much a chance as the next guy but players have to perform.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Does it really matter? Was Guillen really a good manager or was 2005 lightning in a bottle? Hell it took LA 32 years between championships. LaRussa has just as much a chance as the next guy but players have to perform.
Definitely lightning in a bottle. Everything lined up perfectly for the Sox that year. Career years by basically the whole team, calls in their favor, lucky bounces, you name it. The stars were aligned.

I like Reinsdorf’s Nostalgia? Loyalty? Honestly, if you were going to go back to the past I think Ozzie would make more sense. He’s got more energy he’s closer in age. He has a commonality with the base of this team coming from Latin America. LaRussa is obviously baseball royalty but he’s an old man. And I just don’t see him meshing with this group.

I heard LaRussa has requested the old Sox uniforms with shorts as their primary 2021 uniforms.

It will be a big improvement over those Sunday Sox license plate unis.

You’re out of your mind.

License plate uniforms are the worst ever next to those Houston Astro old uniforms.

I can't believe the Sox 40 years later are wearing the same old crummy uniforms and hire the same crummy manager as 40 years ago for a team filled with future all-stars. It's the craziest run organization I have seen.

License plate uniforms are the worst ever next to those Houston Astro old uniforms.

I can't believe the Sox 40 years later are wearing the same old crummy uniforms and hire the same crummy manager as 40 years ago for a team filled with future all-stars. It's the craziest run organization I have seen.
Agree with everything you say, except for your opinion on the uniforms. Lol. Have always loved those. But then again, I have zero sense of style.

Reactions: Wassup13
Agree with everything you say, except for your opinion on the uniforms. Lol. Have always loved those. But then again, I have zero sense of style.

The only thing I liked about those were the starting pitching staff we had wearing them were awesome including Hoyt, Dotson, Bannister and Burns.

Baltimore just seemed to have one of the best starting pitching staffs of all time including Flanagan, Boddicker, McGregor, Storm Davis, Jim Palmer and Dennis Martinez.

Reactions: Crispy Linnetta
I'm confused. Are the license plate unis the navy and red logo ones? If so, those are a classic. Better than the Oakland Raiders knockoffs

So the White Sox won 1 of 9 games so far this spring.

So supposedly this LaRussa hire was supposed to be good?

Hmmm.

Looks like the same lousy LaRussa when I went to games at Comiskey and watched him manage the Sox.

Hmmm.

Looks like the same lousy LaRussa when I went to games at Comiskey and watched him manage the Sox.
You’re really putting weight on spring training?

Hmmm.

I really question the seriousness of your comments. Spring training means absolutely NOTHING in baseball.

Reactions: Gene K.
No I'm putting weight on the terrible manager selection that sucked out the potential of a very young talented team to go to the World Series.
So if they were 8-1 in spring training, LaRussa would be a good manager?

I'm becoming convinced that Wassup is just the fake account of a much smarter person that enjoys gets everyone riled up.

I don't mean to get everyone.riled up but the Chicago teams make a lot of idiot moves including obtaining Cutler, passing up on Watson and Mahomes, hiring LaRussa, trading like 7 draft picks for Doug McDermitt.

I mean they have no idea what they are doing.

Let’s wait until the regular season to judge his hiring. Can’t be worse than the Northsiders hiring of guy who’s memorable highlights come from Dancing with the Stars.

I really don't follow the Cubs but I will take your word for it.

No doubt LaRussa has had some missteps. But Rick Renteria was terrible. You have two key players out with what looks like season ending injuries. Time will tell how this team will continue to progress. No team is running away with anything right now. Sox have been getting good starting pitching and have the second best positive run differential. First thing I look at are wins, then runs scored and given up.

The Sox are 16-13 and tied for 1st place with a big series in KC coming up. Royals have lost 4 in a row and play CLE today who has 4 in a row. May be a dog fight all season.

Loooong way to go guys.

As bad as Renteria was, it still doesn't mean they had to hire TLR and most people expressed this very concern (senior moments) when they hired him.

Reactions: USD24
As bad as Renteria was, it still doesn't mean they had to hire TLR and most people expressed this very concern (senior moments) when they hired him.
I think Renteria was horrible. Especially with his handling of pitchers and in game decisions. That team was not going to go to a WS and win it with him in the dugout.

With that said, I was surprised by the LaRussa hiring. I have never been a guy who says, "anyone but the guy we have," whether it is a manager or QB. There were others available. We just have to let it play out.

ADVERTISEMENT