ADVERTISEMENT

White Sox Hire Tony La Russa As Manager

I'm old school. I'm a geezer. Like TLR, I believe players should respect the game, which is degraded by all the chest-thumping ego on display. Soto is like a frog on a log, shouting his name all day and night to an admiring bog.
oddly enough they weren't sure how TLR would react some of the Sox Chest Beaters (like TA) and so far he's been great with them.

I'm old school. I'm a geezer. Like TLR, I believe players should respect the game, which is degraded by all the chest-thumping ego on display. Soto is a frog on a log, belching his name the livelong day to an admiring bog.
I can't disagree with you on that. But, it has been ages since I heard anyone call a player a hotdog. I had to laugh. But, let's face it. There are a whole bunch of players in professional sports today who want to draw attention to themselves. I have never liked that either. If you're playing a team game play to win first. The personal accolades will come later.

Baseball is unique in that, to me, it is an individual sport wrapped around a team concept. Individual meaning, when the batter comes up to face the pitcher, it's just him. No one can help the hitter. No one can block for him or set a pick for him. He's on his own.

A team sport meaning, if the hitter makes an out he is literally depending on his teammates to do something positive until he gets another chance to bat. In football, if a receiver is having a good day, the QB can throw to him again and again. Same in basketball. If a guy is scoring others will get him the ball more often.

It doesn't work that way in baseball. No matter how well a hitter is doing, he will still only get 4 chances to do something offensively. And on defense, depending on the position, he might not even get the ball hit to him.

My thoughts seem to conflict on the subject. I too dislike the bat flips on a homerun. But I used to like watching Reggie Jackson pimp a HR. On the other hand I have never had a problem with end zone celebrations. But, I can't stand guys who go nuts after getting a first down. One of the funniest end zone celebrations I ever saw was when Randy Moss caught a TD pass near the goal post, turned around and acted like he was pulling his pants down to moon the Vikings fans. It was hilarious.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Reactions: Gene K.
a team game
Even a hotdog needs a supporting cast--the bun, the mustard, the celery salt--or it will taste awful.
Reggie Jackson
I liked Reggie too. And the '78 Yankees. After Thurman Munson died, Reggie said he regretted saying he was "the straw that stirred the drink."
getting a first down
I once saw Bears receiver David Terrell spike the ball after getting a first down. It didn't negate the fact that he was a first round bust, one of many for the Bears.

Even a hotdog needs a supporting cast--the bun, the mustard, the celery salt--or it will taste awful.

I liked Reggie too. And the '78 Yankees. After Thurman Munson died, Reggie said he regretted saying he was "the straw that stirred the drink."

I once saw Bears receiver David Terrell spike the ball after getting a first down. It didn't negate the fact that he was a first round bust, one of many for the Bears.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the game is changing. More celebrating big moments and showing of emotion. Absolutely fine with me as long as players aren't hypocritical about it. It's all in good fun

Reactions: missingwalter
celebrating big moments
But they act like they are greater than the game, greater than the tradition, greater than the greats who came before them. And all the chest-thumping in the pros naturally filters down to high school and even grammar school. Ohtani is better than all of them and he seems grateful to be there.

Reactions: Gene K.
But they act like they are greater than the game, greater than the tradition, greater than the greats who came before them. And all the chest-thumping in the pros naturally filters down to high school and even grammar school. Ohtani is better than all of them and he seems grateful to be there.
Well, a new wave of players is taking over the league. They are emotional, outspoken and appear to be having fun. The next generation of fans seem to enjoy it as well.

Do they? I haven't seen very many examples of this. I hope you can just relax a little and enjoy the excitement. It's bringing more kids into the game and that's a good thing

I'm guessing it means, if you pimp the long ball and then get upset when a pitcher pumps his fist after striking you out, you might be a hypocrite.
Correct. For example, Tatis Jr. likes to to this. When he strikes out and the pitcher does something he tips the cap. No harm done

Reactions: missingwalter
Heard Ronny Wu Wu signed a contract to play 1st base for the Cubs.

Funny, I heard Ricketts traded Ronny Wu Wu away for one of those state quarters they were making a decade or 2 ago.. think it was a Pennsylvania.

Btw Larussa sure got the sox firing lol. I was a critic but great to see how they are playing, just hope they keep it up (coming from Cubs fan).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT