ADVERTISEMENT

White Sox Embarrassment

LTHSALUM76

Aug 27, 2014
https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...ition-t-shirt-controversy-20190612-story.html

What in hell is going on with this organization? They are really going to hand out t shirts commemorating this idiocy? Disco Demolition Night was the most ignorant, asinine thing I have ever seen on a major league baseball field. These morons were not baseball fans but were a bunch of losers. They actually call this garbage, part of Chicago baseball history.

So, they celebrate this? OK. Then I say they should hand out t shirts in September to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the throwing of the World Series of 1919. Why not? Skin flint owner Charles Comiskey was hated by his players for being so cheap. And they got the name "Black Sox" because he refused to launder their uniforms. And when he finally did, he took the costs out of their pay. Let them pass out t shirts for this too.

I am not saying what the players did in 1919 was OK. It was wrong and they paid a huge price in the end. But, I do understand why it happened.

Reactions: McCaravan
I'm going to highly recommend decaf for you and any other snowflakes mortally offended by Disco Demolition.
I don't buy all this garbage in the article about the event being offensive to some group or another in the year 2019. That is not what I was talking about and you took my post the wrong way.

It was never about the music to me. It was about a bunch of idiots, led by an idiot, wrecking a major league baseball field. I don't care what kind of music a person listens to. I have a problem when it's so loud the deaf can hear it, regardless of what genre it is. I really don't need to hear your music when I am 10 cars away from you. At least we still have the right to listen to what we want. And I would bet my range of music is probably wider than yours.

I am not a fan of rap. But you won't see me organizing people to blow up a bunch of rap albums, CDs etc. That is narrow-mindedness at its peak. So, some people liked disco and some didn't. I didn't see the people who liked disco blowing up records of rock did you? Those people of disco didn't care what others preferred AND they also listened to rock as well. They just wanted to go out and have fun their way. And boy, they did.

I will say again. It was never about the music to me. It was about a bunch of non-baseball morons wrecking a major league baseball field. That was when all of Bill Veeck's "gimmicks" went way too far.

I don't take this stuff with the music personally as you suggest. I actually laughed when I read the word "snowflake." That was funny. Carry on.

I don't buy all this garbage in the article about the event being offensive to some group or another in the year 2019. That is not what I was talking about and you took my post the wrong way.

It was never about the music to me. It was about a bunch of idiots, led by an idiot, wrecking a major league baseball field. I don't care what kind of music a person listens to. I have a problem when it's so loud the deaf can hear it, regardless of what genre it is. I really don't need to hear your music when I am 10 cars away from you. At least we still have the right to listen to what we want. And I would bet my range of music is probably wider than yours.

I am not a fan of rap. But you won't see me organizing people to blow up a bunch of rap albums, CDs etc. That is narrow-mindedness at its peak. So, some people liked disco and some didn't. I didn't see the people who liked disco blowing up records of rock did you? Those people of disco didn't care what others preferred AND they also listened to rock as well. They just wanted to go out and have fun their way. And boy, they did.

I will say again. It was never about the music to me. It was about a bunch of non-baseball morons wrecking a major league baseball field. That was when all of Bill Veeck's "gimmicks" went way too far.

I don't take this stuff with the music personally as you suggest. I actually laughed when I read the word "snowflake." That was funny. Carry on.
But you agree that Black Sabbath >>>>>> The BeeGees, at least, right?

But you agree that Black Sabbath >>>>>> The BeeGees, at least, right?
Believe it or not, a person can listen to one genre of music and enjoy it and listen to another and enjoy it as well. You really don't have to choose. I am not a big Black Sabbath fan. Not a big Bee Gees fan either. But, I can't say I hate either. I suppose I could take or leave them. I will say that I would take Rush over either. But, what's good to me and what I think is better can be totally different than the next person. That's the beauty of it.

Believe it or not, a person can listen to one genre of music and enjoy it and listen to another and enjoy it as well. You really don't have to choose. I am not a big Black Sabbath fan. Not a big Bee Gees fan either. But, I can't say I hate either. I suppose I could take or leave them. I will say that I would take Rush over either. But, what's good to me and what I think is better can be totally different than the next person. That's the beauty of it.
I'm a Working Man as well.

Doesn't matter what it was about. The music, disco, rebellion, gimmicks, destroyed field. It was 40 years ago. Get over it.

62166831_10157421792802318_4811067312364847104_n.jpg

Embrace your faults.

Doesn't matter what it was about. The music, disco, rebellion, gimmicks, destroyed field. It was 40 years ago. Get over it.
Hey, maybe for once you are right. Maybe I should just accept it and commemorate and celebrate it as White Sox history such as people like you do.

I mean, what other history does Chicago baseball have over the past 100 years? It sure as hell isn't winning anything significant. 100+ years and one WS championship for each team. Now, there is something to brag about and celebrate. So, we might as well celebrate the embarrassment of disco demolition night and the Black Sox scandal with that team.

The Cubs? Hell,we can talk about and celebrate the collapse of 1969, 1984 and 2003, the ground ball going between Leon Durham's legs and how about that Bartman guy? The Bears have won more championships than the Cubs at Wrigley Field and they haven't played there in almost half a century.

You're right!! We have a lot to celebrate with Chicago baseball. But winning isn't part of it. What an embarrassment.

Hey, maybe for once you are right. Maybe I should just accept it and commemorate and celebrate it as White Sox history such as people like you do.

I mean, what other history does Chicago baseball have over the past 100 years? It sure as hell isn't winning anything significant. 100+ years and one WS championship for each team. Now, there is something to brag about and celebrate. So, we might as well celebrate the embarrassment of disco demolition night and the Black Sox scandal with that team.

The Cubs? Hell,we can talk about and celebrate the collapse of 1969, 1984 and 2003, the ground ball going between Leon Durham's legs and how about that Bartman guy? The Bears have won more championships than the Cubs at Wrigley Field and they haven't played there in almost half a century.

You're right!! We have a lot to celebrate with Chicago baseball. But winning isn't part of it. What an embarrassment.

I'm not asking you to celebrate it, I'm asking you to calm down about it. 2 completely different POVs here.

I'm not asking you to celebrate it, I'm asking you to calm down about it. 2 completely different POVs here.
You are asking me to calm down about a post I made last Friday? LOL.

I read an article in the USA Today yesterday talking about the 50th anniversary of the 1969 Miracle Mets. Great article.

All I am saying is since there really hasn't been any baseball winning to speak of in Chicago over the past 100+ years, and as long as we are going to commemorate/celebrate the disco demolition farce being a part of Chicago baseball history and thinking about that article...then we really need to do the same for the 50th anniversary of the 1969 collapse of the Cubs. Or the 35th anniversary of the 1984 playoff collapse. We can worry about the 2003 collapse when it gets a little riper.

And I am all for t shirts commemorating the 100th anniversary of the Black Sox throwing the 1919 World Series.

Only in Chicago.

ADVERTISEMENT