ADVERTISEMENT

Which team played Monday, and which team took a pass?

MC63

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Lake County
There's an article in Tuesday's Tribune by David Haugh where he justifies the Cubs cancellation of their opener, while the White Sox played their game on 35th Street. He claims that both teams made the right decision.

Trust me, if the situation had been reversed; that is, if the Sox canceled and the Cubs played, the Tribune would have been all over the White Sox for all sorts of imagined transgressions. Paul Sullivan, a Cub cheerleader, would have given his left whatever to have written that story.

Yes, I know that the Cubs outdraw the White Sox. And yes, on the surface, there are more Cub fans than Sox fans -- but not to the degree of coverage that the Tribune and Channel 7 give the Cubs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/ct-spt-haugh-cubs-white-sox-snow-20180409-story.html

Reactions: EdgyTim
There was no reason to play today. Sox were forced due to only time TB is in town and drew about the equivalent of a good IHSA baseball sectional game.

There was no reason to play today. Sox were forced due to only time TB is in town and drew about the equivalent of a good IHSA baseball sectional game.

Tampa could have come back on an open date during warmer weather -- it's not unusual, at all.

Reactions: Hawks65
Why is this even being talked about?
Enjoy a young team (with more on the way) that will be extremely exciting to watch regardless of W/L this year.

There's an article in Tuesday's Tribune by David Haugh where he justifies the Cubs cancellation of their opener, while the White Sox played their game on 35th Street. He claims that both teams made the right decision.

Trust me, if the situation had been reversed; that is, if the Sox canceled and the Cubs played, the Tribune would have been all over the White Sox for all sorts of imagined transgressions. Paul Sullivan, a Cub cheerleader, would have given his left whatever to have written that story.

Yes, I know that the Cubs outdraw the White Sox. And yes, on the surface, there are more Cub fans than Sox fans -- but not to the degree of coverage that the Tribune and Channel 7 give the Cubs.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/ct-spt-haugh-cubs-white-sox-snow-20180409-story.html

Im not really a fan of either team but the coverage difference in the media is because you have a major market team on the Northside and a Small market team on the Southside. That statement wil piss a lot of Sox fans off but it is the reality in this City.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
Don’t let facts get in the way here.

The Cubs had an off day today Sox didn’t. This is Tampa’s only trip to Chicago so it would require an extra trip to make up a game which likely is meaningless in the grand scheme this year.

But hey whatever fits your narrative MC63.

Tampa could have come back on an open date during warmer weather -- it's not unusual, at all.

Correct, but the White Sox would have had to give up an off day too. The Sox controlled whether the game was played yesterday or not and probably figured it was best to take their chances with a warm weather team that had lost 8 in a row in 30 degree weather.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
Don't think for one minute the Sox game was going to be cancelled yesterday. The players were happy it got played. The Cubs did have an off day today and neither team had to travel to make this game up. They were both in town anyway. This is why the day after a team opens up at home is usually an off day. Logistically, it would have been much harder to make the Sox game up than make up the Cubs game. To me, it was a no-brainer.

The Sun-Times said in the box score that the attendance for the Tampa Bay, Sox game was 10,000+. Looking at the visuals I saw, there is no way that crowd was anywhere near 10,000. Very likely not even 3,000.

Correct, but the White Sox would have had to give up an off day too. The Sox controlled whether the game was played yesterday or not and probably figured it was best to take their chances with a warm weather team that had lost 8 in a row in 30 degree weather.
You really can't call the Rays a "warm weather team" like you might call a football team. The fact is, the Sox have several Latin players who grew up in warm weather. Tim Anderson is from Alabama too. To me, there are no "warm weather" vs "cold weather" teams in baseball. Latin players are sprinkled throughout the league.

My point concerned what was the likely media response if the situation had been reversed.

Newt - don't go fooling around with facts ... they might just bite you where you'd prefer not to be bitten. Every year, teams fly into cities for a make-up game.

My point concerned what was the likely media response if the situation had been reversed.

Newt - don't go fooling around with facts ... they might just bite you where you'd prefer not to be bitten. Every year, teams fly into cities for a make-up game.
Yes they do fly into cities for make up games. Generally the game that is made up at a later date is the last game of the series or second to last game. It is usually not the first game. If weather cancels the last game of a series the teams have no other choice. Any team will not reschedule a game at a later date unless they are forced to. The organizations didn't feel like they were forced to cancel yesterday's game or it would have been.

Keep in mind, there really isn't going to be much of a change in the weather for the next couple days either. For instance, if the temp was going to be 55 degrees or higher today and tomorrow, they may have cancelled yesterday. But it will remain cold today and tomorrow.

And most importantly, the players were happy to get the game in yesterday to avoid a game at a later date. They said so. Believe me, when the players show up at the ballpark, they want to play. Sitting around for hours and then not getting to play sucks. But the Cubs weren't pressured to play like the Sox were. And I don't think Haugh would have been all over the Sox either if the roles were reversed. What happened yesterday made perfect sense on both sides.

I can't think of any other way to explain this to you.

Yes they do fly into cities for make up games. Generally the game that is made up at a later date is the last game of the series or second to last game. It is usually not the first game. If weather cancels the last game of a series the teams have no other choice. Any team will not reschedule a game at a later date unless they are forced to. The organizations didn't feel like they were forced to cancel yesterday's game or it would have been.

Keep in mind, there really isn't going to be much of a change in the weather for the next couple days either. For instance, if the temp was going to be 55 degrees or higher today and tomorrow, they may have cancelled yesterday. But it will remain cold today and tomorrow.

And most importantly, the players were happy to get the game in yesterday to avoid a game at a later date. They said so. Believe me, when the players show up at the ballpark, they want to play. Sitting around for hours and then not getting to play sucks. But the Cubs weren't pressured to play like the Sox were. And I don't think Haugh would have been all over the Sox either if the roles were reversed. What happened yesterday made perfect sense on both sides.

I can't think of any other way to explain this to you.

You didn't say anything new; nor did you say anything that wasn't obvious on the surface. I can't think of any other way to explain this to you.

You didn't say anything new; nor did you say anything that wasn't obvious on the surface. I can't think of any other way to explain this to you.
Yeah I may not have. But I seem to have a problem getting through to you. So, when that happens, things need to be repeated. That is how a person eventually gets through to another person. Well, that's how it is done to get through to most people anyway. Your case is a little different.

As long as we are talking about the Sox and Cubs I would like to say a few things. Keep in mind I am not a Cub fan, never have been, never will be. I am a Sox fan. First of all, the beat writers for the Cubs are, for the most part, Cub fans. The same is true for the Sox. I don't think these guys hide it very much either.

In my lifetime, with the exception of a short time in the 70s the Cubs have out drawn the Sox and have gotten much more media coverage. I have always said Chicago is a Bears and Cubs town. I don't think anyone can deny it. That is just the reality of things. The Cubs operate as a major market team and the Sox operate as a middle market team. The fan following of each team reflects that. I am not some rabid Cub hater either. If they win, good for them.

I enjoy going to both parks and I love what they did with Wrigley. I had two very enjoyable experiences there last year. I also went to a few Sox games last year and had a lot of fun each time. But the fans are two different sets of people and always have been. I enjoyed talking to them in each park. I found all of them to be friendly. I don't follow the Cubs as closely so I asked a few questions of the fans surrounding me between innings.

But Sox fans do tend to be more pessimistic than Cub fans. Some have told me it's because Sox fans are more objective. I think the Cub fans are more the type who will watch the whole game on TV win or lose where Sox fans will turn it off in the 5th inning if the Sox go down by more than 2 runs.

What I will say now may piss some Sox fans off but I'll take my chances. I observed the Sox fans' reaction to the Sox WS championship in 2005 and compared it to the Cub fans' reaction to their championship in 2016. I saw a pretty big difference. Quite a difference as a matter of fact. Back in 2005 I wondered if the Sox fans were more anxious to have the team win the championship or shove it in the Cub fans faces. For years the Sox fans took every opportunity to shove that one whole championship in the faces of Cub fans.

Then 2016 happened. I fully expected the Cub fans to give it back to Sox fans twofold. It really didn't happen. They showed far more class than I would have given them credit for. I was surprised but I learned something. Cub fans really don't care what Sox fans think of their team. They didn't want to win that championship to shove it back at the Sox fans. They wanted to win because they wanted to end the drought and bring a championship to the north side.

The Sox fans were way worse toward Cub fans in 2005 than Cub fans were to Sox fans in 2016. That experience taught me a lot. I misjudged a lot of those people.

Right now, the Cubs are the better team and they deserve more coverage.

MC63 I continue to be fascinated by your's and other Sox fans continued interest in what is constantly happening on the North Side. The Cubs made a decision based on what was in the best interest of their organization much like the White Sox did as well.

If you believe there is some other underlying factor leading to these decisions I would be curious to hear why that is. Also, The fact remains that teams hate giving up off days. They negotiated in the CBA for extra off days which is why the season starts earlier and now ends in almost November. The Cubs and Pirates chose to give up an off day. The White Sox and Rays chose not to. Really not much simpler than that.

As long as we are talking about the Sox and Cubs I would like to say a few things. Keep in mind I am not a Cub fan, never have been, never will be. I am a Sox fan. First of all, the beat writers for the Cubs are, for the most part, Cub fans. The same is true for the Sox. I don't think these guys hide it very much either.

In my lifetime, with the exception of a short time in the 70s the Cubs have out drawn the Sox and have gotten much more media coverage. I have always said Chicago is a Bears and Cubs town. I don't think anyone can deny it. That is just the reality of things. The Cubs operate as a major market team and the Sox operate as a middle market team. The fan following of each team reflects that. I am not some rabid Cub hater either. If they win, good for them.

I enjoy going to both parks and I love what they did with Wrigley. I had two very enjoyable experiences there last year. I also went to a few Sox games last year and had a lot of fun each time. But the fans are two different sets of people and always have been. I enjoyed talking to them in each park. I found all of them to be friendly. I don't follow the Cubs as closely so I asked a few questions of the fans surrounding me between innings.

But Sox fans do tend to be more pessimistic than Cub fans. Some have told me it's because Sox fans are more objective. I think the Cub fans are more the type who will watch the whole game on TV win or lose where Sox fans will turn it off in the 5th inning if the Sox go down by more than 2 runs.

What I will say now may piss some Sox fans off but I'll take my chances. I observed the Sox fans' reaction to the Sox WS championship in 2005 and compared it to the Cub fans' reaction to their championship in 2016. I saw a pretty big difference. Quite a difference as a matter of fact. Back in 2005 I wondered if the Sox fans were more anxious to have the team win the championship or shove it in the Cub fans faces. For years the Sox fans took every opportunity to shove that one whole championship in the faces of Cub fans.

Then 2016 happened. I fully expected the Cub fans to give it back to Sox fans twofold. It really didn't happen. They showed far more class than I would have given them credit for. I was surprised but I learned something. Cub fans really don't care what Sox fans think of their team. They didn't want to win that championship to shove it back at the Sox fans. They wanted to win because they wanted to end the drought and bring a championship to the north side.

The Sox fans were way worse toward Cub fans in 2005 than Cub fans were to Sox fans in 2016. That experience taught me a lot. I misjudged a lot of those people.

Right now, the Cubs are the better team and they deserve more coverage.

First off as far as White Sox fans caring about the North Side team...it's pretty hard to avoid when you are barraged on an hourly basis daily...more on that below.

Again it's much easier to paint with a big brush....yet I also don't disagree with you on the behavior of many of my fellow Sox fans. Personally? Much like politics I seldom mentioned any of my baseball thoughts on Facebook anymore for the various reasons you mention. I don't want to be that guy....and as a baseball fan I saw how the North Side team was "getting it's act together" and knew better than to poke the sleeping Cubbie. I still feel the same. Deserve more coverage? More than what....what they have already gotten for the past several decades? Please.

As far as understanding how/why a Sox fan would react the way they did in 2005...again not a fan of painting with broad strokes but a few thoughts.

I have been told my entire life that I rooted for the "wrong" team in town, that my team are losers...and that was in the same city/area that had the 'lovable losers" in the same town....hell we couldn't be the "better" losers. Real Sox fans that I know (and at this stage anyone still claiming to be a Real Sox fan well...God love ya) would never, ever embrace losing. We wanted to win...we never accepted our fate and didn't try to embrace/market losing into our DNA. How did the South Side fight/rebel against ownership when they put an inferior product on the field? We stopped paying to see them in person and that hasn't changed to this day.

I know my team won't draw as many fans. And I'm Ok with that and have accepted that fact a few decades ago. White Sox fans will go when the product is good and basically won't go when it's not good (I saw something very similar with the 2017 Bears last season....saw a ton of empty seats at home towards the second half of the season...so I guess Bears fans are now "bad" fans too like my fellow Sox fans?). I still go to Sox games in person, watch on TV always and try to get to as many as I can within reason. I can't as a fan do much more.

The North Side team has had every known possible advantage in my biased eyes for decades in this town....from fan attendance to TV revenue and way beyond... yet they have won just one world series in what well over 100 years? Again not hating whatsoever and if I'm not factual feel free to correct. If anything the World Series win in 2016 finally woke up our ownership and now we are in the middle of a very similar rebuild that the North Side had a few years back...so thanks for that North Siders.

The point being when you are told that you are inferior for decades....day in and day out....year in and year out....it builds and build. Somehow it needed to come out and it came out in 2005. Rightly or wrongly...the North Side fans took the brunt of the punches. Not from all Sox fans...but as you stated from more than enough.

Also when the North Side team won it all in 2016....I wasn't one of those "I'm rooting for both teams" fan. Again I wasn't raised that way and either have my kids been raised that way. You are either with us or against us...and I'm pretty sure most Sox fans feel the same. Yet I was (respectfully quietly) happy for the North Side team and especially the long suffering real fans.... I no question related to the many fans who had parents and grandparents who didn't see them win it all....because I had two parents who also didn't see the White Sox win a title (See we can relate a lot more than people think).

Also something that has been an issue with me for years...to say that the North Side team accepted and embraced it's lovable loser image would be an understatement in my own opinion. Again the fan based was steered and marketed the lovable loser tag like sheep by ownership....but again this was something I just could never get with or buy into whatsoever.

When you've been forced to live like David in the home town of Goliath...well...step into our shoes for a bit then talk to me. Not an excuse...just a reality. (It's ok though I like being the underdog).

Anyways....hope this at least tried to help explain a little bit about my team and us fans.

Can we talk again in say 2020? I like our chances to make some real noise more and more everyday...it's just going to take a bit longer.

First off as far as White Sox fans caring about the North Side team...it's pretty hard to avoid when you are barraged on an hourly basis daily...more on that below.

Again it's much easier to paint with a big brush....yet I also don't disagree with you on the behavior of many of my fellow Sox fans. Personally? Much like politics I seldom mentioned any of my baseball thoughts on Facebook anymore for the various reasons you mention. I don't want to be that guy....and as a baseball fan I saw how the North Side team was "getting it's act together" and knew better than to poke the sleeping Cubbie. I still feel the same. Deserve more coverage? More than what....what they have already gotten for the past several decades? Please.

As far as understanding how/why a Sox fan would react the way they did in 2005...again not a fan of painting with broad strokes but a few thoughts.

I have been told my entire life that I rooted for the "wrong" team in town, that my team are losers...and that was in the same city/area that had the 'lovable losers" in the same town....hell we couldn't be the "better" losers. Real Sox fans that I know (and at this stage anyone still claiming to be a Real Sox fan well...God love ya) would never, ever embrace losing. We wanted to win...we never accepted our fate and didn't try to embrace/market losing into our DNA. How did the South Side fight/rebel against ownership when they put an inferior product on the field? We stopped paying to see them in person and that hasn't changed to this day.

I know my team won't draw as many fans. And I'm Ok with that and have accepted that fact a few decades ago. White Sox fans will go when the product is good and basically won't go when it's not good (I saw something very similar with the 2017 Bears last season....saw a ton of empty seats at home towards the second half of the season...so I guess Bears fans are now "bad" fans too like my fellow Sox fans?). I still go to Sox games in person, watch on TV always and try to get to as many as I can within reason. I can't as a fan do much more.

The North Side team has had every known possible advantage in my biased eyes for decades in this town....from fan attendance to TV revenue and way beyond... yet they have won just one world series in what well over 100 years? Again not hating whatsoever and if I'm not factual feel free to correct. If anything the World Series win in 2016 finally woke up our ownership and now we are in the middle of a very similar rebuild that the North Side had a few years back...so thanks for that North Siders.

The point being when you are told that you are inferior for decades....day in and day out....year in and year out....it builds and build. Somehow it needed to come out and it came out in 2005. Rightly or wrongly...the North Side fans took the brunt of the punches. Not from all Sox fans...but as you stated from more than enough.

Also when the North Side team won it all in 2016....I wasn't one of those "I'm rooting for both teams" fan. Again I wasn't raised that way and either have my kids been raised that way. You are either with us or against us...and I'm pretty sure most Sox fans feel the same. Yet I was (respectfully quietly) happy for the North Side team and especially the long suffering real fans.... I no question related to the many fans who had parents and grandparents who didn't see them win it all....because I had two parents who also didn't see the White Sox win a title (See we can relate a lot more than people think).

Also something that has been an issue with me for years...to say that the North Side team accepted and embraced it's lovable loser image would be an understatement in my own opinion. Again the fan based was steered and marketed the lovable loser tag like sheep by ownership....but again this was something I just could never get with or buy into whatsoever.

When you've been forced to live like David in the home town of Goliath...well...step into our shoes for a bit then talk to me. Not an excuse...just a reality. (It's ok though I like being the underdog).

Anyways....hope this at least tried to help explain a little bit about my team and us fans.

Can we talk again in say 2020? I like our chances to make some real noise more and more everyday...it's just going to take a bit longer.
I understand what you're saying here. You have mentioned some events from a few decades ago. Like accepting the fact the Cubs out draw the Sox at the gate. What you have failed to do is place the blame squarely where it belongs. It belongs to the Sox organization itself. Through the decades they have done a horrible job marketing this team. Horrible. The current ownership has also made several missteps.

Let's go all the way back to 1948 when WGN TV launched. They had a radio deal with the Cubs and then brought it to television. Could the Sox have done that? I really don't know the answer to that question or if they even tried. My hunch would be the latter. But, this was the seed to grow their fan base. When I was growing up in the 1960s there were two teams in town but there was one you could see on WGN TV every time they played...the Cubs. They had an excellent play-by-play man in Brickhouse and Arne Harris was way ahead of his time in the production of the games.

I can remember as a kid of 8 or 9 on several occasions going into one of the neighborhood bars on a summer afternoon to get a little bag of potato chips and a can of pop. The bartender would let me sit at the bar to watch the game while I ate the chips and drank the pop. (Imagine that happening now!) But there I was, sitting there next to guys who were having a few short drafts. That's a memory I'll always have. I rarely watched the Sox in those days because they weren't on very often. It's kind of funny I never became a Cub fan because I watched them all the time as a kid. So, think of all the other kids out there who were watching as I was. We simply weren't seeing the Sox very much so there wasn't much interest. Over the years I have met a lot of people in my age group who have told me they became Cub fans in the 60s because they were able to see them all the time. And you know that got passed down to their kids. The Sox had fans from the south side and the south suburbs. But the Cubs were getting fans from all over.

The Cubs were far more visible to me as a kid. The Sox weren't even close. That was another big step in the Cubs growing their fan base. Ray Rayner, Garfield Goose, Bozo and then the Cubs on WGN. How many people on this board have that memory? And how many people agree? Then when they finally got a good team on the field in 1969 the fan base grew more.

Then came the 1970s. Most people do not know the Sox were out drawing the Cubs in the mid 70s. I can remember going to an empty ballpark on the north side more than once in those days.

The 1980s is the decade that changed everything between the two clubs for good. And, to me, the biggest mistakes the Sox made, in a marketing sense, occurred in the 1980s. The best thing to happen to the Cubs organization in those days was when the Wrigley family sold the club to the Tribune Company in 1981. What's interesting is, it is also the same year Jerry Reinsdorf and Eddie Einhorn bought the Sox. But the differences between the two ownerships were as wide as wide can be.

WGN, which carried the Cubs, hired Harry Caray away from the Sox. Caray said he didn't like Reinsdorf and didn't trust him. Imagine that? Then WGN became a superstation and games could be viewed nationwide. Although some seeds were planted in the late 70s the station really took off in the 80s. Harry Caray and the Cubs became a household team everywhere, much like the Braves and TBS or the Mets and WOR. That alone is what really grew their fan base. Where were Reinsdorf and the Sox during all this? I'd like someone to answer that. This was a big mistake on their part.

The last BIG mistake Reinsdorf made came at the end of the 80s. He wanted a new ballpark. Of course tax payers paid for it. But the new park went up right across the street from the old one. Huge mistake I think. I was hoping they would move the location. I don't remember how that all went down and I am not going to bother researching it. If anyone thinks locations of the parks doesn't have anything to do with the difference in fan base they are kidding themselves. The Cub home games in the 80s became an entire neighborhood full day experience.

Fast-forward a couple decades and the Ricketts family buys the Cubs from the Tribune. I read in Forbes they paid around $700 million. What is the team worth now? Around $2.9 billion. From a marketing standpoint, what the Ricketts family has done is nothing short of genius. They know their fans and are taking advantage of the entire neighborhood to bring people in. And those people are coming in droves from all over the country and paying top dollar to see that team and to be a part of the entire experience that lasts all day. Throw in the building of a very good club and a WS championship in 2016 and it is pretty easy to predict no one on this earth today will live to see the Sox with a bigger fan base than the Cubs.

So, the bigger fan base creates more coverage. Much more.

Last edited:

I wanted to break this up into two parts. As far as winning and losing goes, I have also said Cubs fans accept mediocrity and call it loyalty. I have said that many times. And it's sad that more people will watch the Cubs lose than will watch the Sox win. I, too, have been going to a few Sox games a year for decades. Many years ago the experience was pretty much the same for me. That started to change in the 80s. Last year I went to a couple games at Wrigley. Unbelievable experience. The place is a palace, like them or not. To me, this is what the fan experience should be. The entire neighborhood was electric. Understand, I never bring my cell phone inside any ball park. I'm there to watch the game regardless of what's going on around me. I got along without my phone at games for decades and I can still do it.

I want to be optimistic about the Sox rebuild. I think they do have some talent. But with Reinsdorf behind it, it puts a damper on the optimism.

I look back on just the number 1 picks the Sox have made starting back in 2000 and going to 2015. The jury is out for Fulmer, Anderson and Rodon. But other than Sale most of these guys have been complete busts. You could probably say that about other organizations too, but I don't care about those organizations. The Sox haven't drafted well with the number 1 picks.

A lot goes into a rebuild. It's not just acquiring other teams' players. You have to draft well when you are getting high picks and you have to sign the right free agents when you think you are ready to put a winning team on the field. The Sox have some good talent in the minor leagues. Whether that translates to production at the major league level remains to be seen. But, we'll see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT