ADVERTISEMENT

Which 5-4 Team goes the furthest?

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
I'm going with Br. Rice. I think they have a legit chance to make it to the Semi Final. I think they will beat Bartlett and South Elgin and then upset Minooka in the quarters before getting beat by Warren in the Semi Finals. If Marist was in the North Bracket, I would have picked them but the South Bracket is a SOB.

Reactions: dweise
That’s like and hats off to them these CPS teams going 8-1 or 9-0 playing a weak schedule get top ratings.Then they play a low seeded 5-4 school who played a tough schedule.5-4 team will mop the floor with them & not a upset

That’s like and hats off to them these CPS teams going 8-1 or 9-0 playing a weak schedule get top ratings.Then they play a low seeded 5-4 school who played a tough schedule.5-4 team will mop the floor with them & not a upset
I understand they are not among the elite 9-0 teams, but you can’t compare them to a Payton or another CPS schedule. They are definitely an upgrade over that.

Rice beating Minooka would NOT belost to 5-4 5A St. Laurence.

If Rice played Minooka schedule they’d be 9-0.If Minooka played Rice schedule they wouldn’t be in the playoffs.

Didn’t BR lose to a 5-4 5A team? At home?Also struggled with another 5A team in Hillcrest?

Don’t sleep on Minooka here, Belskis has whooped up on CCL teams in his past and will definitely not be out coached by the BR staff.

What makes you so confident about the football juggernaut on Pulaski? The huge wins over Mt. Carmel every year? The multiple state titles? Oh wait...

Didn’t BR lose to a 5-4 5A team? At home?Also struggled with another 5A team in Hillcrest?

Don’t sleep on Minooka here, Belskis has whooped up on CCL teams in his past and will definitely not be out coached by the BR staff.

What makes you so confident about the football juggernaut on Pulaski? The huge wins over Mt. Carmel every year? The multiple state titles? Oh wait...

That 30 point whopping on montini last year must of left a bad taste in your mouth.

Last year is over and Rice has had a bad season, underperformed.

I have not seen them execute or improve from week to week. Which is all coaching.

I agree that expectations based of a 9 game sample size should be low.

The talent is their to make a run.

Hoping they have a Michigan like response against penn state which led to a dominate performance against ND.

2nd half against MC with a new very talented QB seemed to spark BR. We'll find out on Friday vs Bartlett.

Last edited:
That 30 point whopping on montini last year must of left a bad taste in your mouth.

Interesting perspective. Montini loses to teams all the time and your takeaway is that any comments are just sour grapes based on a single loss?

Maybe there’s some issues in the classrooms too, based on your astute observation.

Reactions: ESCC Alum
If Minooka keeps playing perfect games (not one penalty in the OHS game), they’ll be a tough out for anyone.

Coaches first then team leaders and seniors.

I agree. I dont hear lack of leadership coming from the Lincoln way east, main south, MC, Loyola, montini programs even when they have 6-3 5-4 type of seasons.

This is 2 out of 3 years I’m hearing lack of leadership from BR.

That is disappointing.

MCHS, he wasn't trying to pump up BR. He was just trying to take a shot at Minooka. Breathe...

Reactions: mchsalumni
I just don't see it. No leadership. Plenty of individual talent but no team attitude.[/QUOTE

Seemed like a new team with Lausch behind center in the second half. They needed a spark to make them believe they are a different team. Before that change, I'd say one n done.

Lausch can take them to the semi's if game-plan doesn't force him to do too much. Let him use his wheels, simple reads, etc.

They need M Jones back at MLB, though. Is he back this week?

The weak Conference Minooka is in

queen
Same coaching staff as last year besides upgrade at OC

Last years group was undefeated as freshman, sophomore, and won a Rugby State Championship. Badke deserves all the credit for recruiting that special Group.

This is the 2nd time in the last 3 years leadership issues with players have been leaked out by posters on this board.
If coaches are saying that about their players I think that’s where the real issue is.

Reactions: Oop-dee-oop_4
Last years group was undefeated as freshman, sophomore, and won a Rugby State Championship. Badke deserves all the credit for recruiting that special Group.

This is the 2nd time in the last 3 years leadership issues with players have been leaked out by posters on this board.
If coaches are saying that about their players I think that’s where the real issue is.
My opinion is solely based on my observations not conversations. I realize everything starts at the top but you cannot put 100% of the blame on the HC. Last year's team is in the past and frankly only happens once in a great while at BR. We need those caliber of kids year in and out to compete on a high level annually.

Badke deserves credit for recruiting them? Not coaching them?
We live in a Me society not we
That’s what makes the group last year even more special.
Hoping the boys can build off the 2nd half of MC and put together a 4 quarters of football

Reactions: ssczar76
My opinion is solely based on my observations not conversations. I realize everything starts at the top but you cannot put 100% of the blame on the HC. Last year's team is in the past and frankly only happens once in a great while at BR. We need those caliber of kids year in and out to compete on a high level annually.
Well said

You drawing a parallel between a 9-0 CPS team and Minooka shows you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about.

Besides the Laurence game, season went kind of normal. They don't usually beat Loyola or Carmel and Providence is probably a pick em most years.
Unless players aren't going to work outs or are unprepared not sure what lack of leadership means besides maybe to deflect from lack of talent or coaching.

[QUOTE="Queen4, post: 218096, member: 16294

He deserves credit.

As a HC your main job is to develop the we over me and create a team. That’s what separates good from great and creates consistency in a program.

I do think he is at a massive disadvantage not being in house.

Had a family member on last years team and another whose currently deciding between rice and MC. Jordan Lynch is everywhere, in house, outta house, every park.

Not good news for crusader fans.[/QUOTE]

Well that explains it. Not sure what offense you're watching Krock but 'upgrade' is an interesting choice to describe the change...

Besides the Laurence game, season went kind of normal. They don't usually beat Loyola or Carmel and Providence is probably a pick em most years.
Unless players aren't going to work outs or are unprepared not sure what lack of leadership means besides maybe to deflect from lack of talent or coaching.

BR was way more talented than PC and Laurence. Those are bad losses. Lack of leadership would be a bunch of kids playing for 'me' instead of 'we', as Krock alluded to. Most kids now are more focused on scholarships than getting a ring. However, it is the coaches job to change that.

Reactions: Gene K. and Queen4
Lynch is everywhere. No doubt about it. More importantly, he's in the building at 6410. I'm old school. I believe in the old system where the head varsity coach needs to be in the building. JMO

I agree. And I know it plays a small factor in the decision between schools. At least it does to my nephews. How many hours of preparation and communication between staff and athletes does programs withoutin-house coaches miss out on? I would imagine 10-15 hours per week.

Reactions: Gene K.
[QUOTE="Queen4, post: 218096, member: 16294

He deserves credit.

As a HC your main job is to develop the we over me and create a team. That’s what separates good from great and creates consistency in a program.

I do think he is at a massive disadvantage not being in house.

Had a family member on last years team and another whose currently deciding between rice and MC. Jordan Lynch is everywhere, in house, outta house, every park.

Not good news for crusader fans.
[/QUOTE]
Saw Badke at 2 grammar school games this past weekend
He’s out and he’s hustling
Trust me

Reactions: Gene K.
BR was way more talented than PC and Laurence. Those are bad losses. Lack of leadership would be a bunch of kids playing for 'me' instead of 'we', as Krock alluded to. Most kids now are more focused on scholarships than getting a ring. However, it is the coaches job to change that.
The Laurence game on homecoming is bad but was the sophs first real start? Granted that means the defense needs to step it up and didnt. And Providence dont think is totally lacking talent, they know what they're doing.
Still not sure rice has that many kids only looking for a scholarship, most are neighborhood kids that I have to assume realize 5'10 180 isn't getting the SEC up here.
If the coach gets a ton of credit for last year then has to get blame for this year, 2017, and 2016.

Saw Badke at 2 grammar school games this past weekend
He’s out and he’s hustling
Trust me[/QUOTE]

I believe it.

I hope he and BR find away to get him back inhouse.

Lynch is hustling on MC during that 7am-3pm. I have no doubt that impacts game planning, player relationships, staff relationships etc. To compete consistently against MC Loyola Marist Rita you can not have a part time HC.

ADVERTISEMENT