ADVERTISEMENT

Where have YOU watched high school football?

Glenbard West (Milfs)
Hinsdale Central (Too many North Face vests))
Hinsdale South (Wish they colored the end zones black and yellow)
Loyola (Too many khaki pants)

Reactions: pjjp
Your good. Very good in fact.

I sit with Dr. Gerardo Grieco at St. Rita football games. This last Friday was his 567th straight game. Not a bad record. I've made maybe 300 games over that time frame. Makes me a rookie compared to the Doc. And he drives in every Friday from Bloomington Il.

This is AWESOME!!!

Reactions: Bowie50
Brother Rice
Richards
Marist
Loyola
Rita
Andrew
Romeoville
Naperville North
Hinsdale Central
Gately
Fenwick
Hansen
Providence
LWE
HF
Joliet Stadium
Crete Money
Woodstock
Reavis
St Laurence
Bishop Mac
DeLaSalle
DeSales
Soldier Field
Toyota Park
Champaign

3 days late with factoids and memories. Some pertain to the actual stadium. Many others pertain to when or why I was there. Maybe I should've used my excellent memory for some valuable education instead of mundane sports trivia and steel-trap recall.

Holy Cross was my home field

PLAYED AT:
Proviso East - Great scenic spot IMO... Brick buildings to the west, forest preserve to the east
Proviso West (St. Joe) - LOST! 14-12 on a 2-pt conversion fade.
Glenbard East - Played there 3 times... brawled senior year on the SportsVision Game of the week. Mike Ogulnick on the call. We couldn't play football or fight! How the hell was HC GE the Game of the Week???
Marian Catholic - Last HS game. Terence Marable 60, Us 12
Marist - Very Cool. Brought a punt all the way back junior year, which was stunning because I was usually screaming PETER before the ball was snapped. Not as stunning was the holding flag that negated the TD
Benet Academy - B Dolan to Joe G for 99-yards and an IHSA record.
Montini - We beat them! (It was a Frosh game in 1989)
Driscoll - I-slot right, wing back reverse left for 90 yd TD! (It was maybe 30 yards... Gets longer as the years go by). 36-6, Highlanders
Carmel - They stunk, but we thought they were good because we couldn't tackle Jermaine Williams
St. Viator - Freshmen year, frost and flurries in week 4 if I remember correctly. Gonna check WeatherBug history.
Forest View - They were bad, but avenged our win over them with a mighty ass whoopin.
Joliet Catholic - Worst freshman field ever?
Memorial Stadium - I scored in my final game of sophomore year. Varsity Coach Pat Arthurs mentioned it in his meeting with the entire program the next day. "You see why we keep working hard, even in the last game of the year. You get a TD for a guy like Bobby in week 9, and that keeps him in the program!" Then he realized Mossavi, DeFillipis, LaFluer, Tucker, and Pepsnik were graduating, so he resigned a few weeks later. I stayed though.... the TD worked!
Hanson Stadium - UGH! Once was enough. On a Sunday. They rocked us. Bears lost to Bills that day too.
Ridgewood - 8th grade all-star game

COACHED AT:
Elmwood Park - Always loved the black endzones. Always hated how the stupid administration moved the home team to the east sideline when the field was remodeled... Dummies
R-B - Saw the legendary JCA game there also.
*Ridgewood - Nothing further at this time
Fenton - The sun never shines in Bensenville.
*Hanson - Played, coached, reffed lacrosse, watched track, made out.... I've done a little bit of everything at Hanson. I'll never forget our varsity beating #7 St. Pat's my freshmen year, 13-12
Gately - pounded Carver, uninteresting
Glenbard South - Glenbard South is the dweeb teenager who bullies middle-schoolers because he can't handle guys his own age and size. Sweetest win was beating them in '12, but that was in EP. They hung a 60 on us the next year in "Kinda Glen Ellyn"
Woodstock North - Far. Construction on 47. Bugs. Long grass. WN head coach wore sandals during the game. Sister-in-law just moved blocks away from there too... Not awesome.
U of Chicago (St. Ign) - Nice atmosphere for a HS game.
*Guerin - As the opponent, worst field on earth. I held this place dear to my heart?
Huntley - They were 3A when we signed the contract... they were 7A when we got there.
Lane - Played Schurz their in '08.... Lost! Sweet history though. I could easily picture my parents there, watching games in the 60s.
Evergreen Park - Joe Glover came to watch... and mock... and giggle.
Elmhurst College (St. Joe) - Lost again!!! I have personally lost to Joe's in football more times than anyone on earth. Freshman year, junior year, senior year, and 2013 EP. 1-4 lifetime! I should move on to other hobbies.

FAN:
Notre Dame - Several times. Coached Hennessey's son at Eugene's, and had several former players and friends play there.
Maine West - MS game
Maine East - DGS freshman game that made zero sense
Maine South - Saw Schmitz 80-something yard punt
New Trier - MS
Glenbrook South - MS
Niles West - MS
Brother Rice - HC 33 BR 0.... Oh, how times have changed!
Loyola - One of my favorite atmospheres. First game was the MS LA semi in '92, watching my buddies Sroka and Spunder
St. Rita - Went down on a random Friday when they were great in the mid-Aughts... At a Western bar by half.
Providence - Steinbach bullied my beloved Crusaders. My boss has been reminding me of it for nearly 20 years
Oak Park (Fenwick) - They stripped our RB twice and returned it for TDs on a Sunday
Montini - Always on the pass list. Blocks away from my current house.
De La Salle - HC @ DLS for a trip to the '99 Prep Bowl
St. Joseph - Lenti broke the record THERE! On rocks, with a freshman pitchers mound in the middle of the field. Oh, the irony
Hanson (DePaul) - MS @ GT, 1992 playoffs
Neuqua Valley - Had to see Dudek a few years ago
Naperville North - Pat Dobry, clinching Pick-6 in the '06 playoffs for DGS
Glenbard North - DGS playoff game in '10-ish?
Waubonsie Valley - Was Dierking there as a soph? If he was, so was I. Was late for a date to meet the new GF's friends because the game went long. RED FLAG ON ME! Had to be '03??? Also went to see Winiarski play a few times in the mid-90s. He was a fellow St. Eugene Viking before moving WAY out to Nowheresville
Naperville Central - DGS playoff game.
Wheaton North - v Lake Zurich, maybe 09
Wheaton South - Went to see the mighty 98ers twice. Then saw Clifford run all over the 99ers a year later. Went out with a WWS girl a few years ago, and asked if she knew those teams or went to school at that time.... Nope... she was Class of 2009, and quickly figured out I was older than dirt. No second date.
Nazareth - Cousins played there before they were good. Went to Naz Joe's in 06-ish
Jacobs - Went to homecoming out there with a gal pal in 93... hit the game too
Westmont - Always wondered where the hell it was, even after I moved TO WESTMONT in 06. Went to a game just because. Left after 1Q.
Lisle - See the above statement, replace "moved to Westmont" with "while attending IBC"
IC - My Driscoll cousin played there.
Walther - My ex-wife's best friend's husband's godson played there late last decade. Yep, I'll go anywhere, any reason. Can't even remember his name.
Canton - HC playoffs
Rolling Meadows - My Hersey cousins played there
Wheeling - ...and there (and the MS Wheeling playoff game)
Hersey - ... obviously there
Prospect - ... and there
Buffalo Grove - ....and there. Saw my younger Hersey stud cousin vs Zibby in '02
Elk Grove - there too!
Palatine - Went to see the grandson of my HS baseball coach, Bubba! Stud
Hoffman Estates - My B-I-L coaches there now
Schaumburg - See all of the above
Fremd - vs NN in the playoffs
Conant - Last week
Lake Forest - Can't even remember why. Maybe to see that Italian Libertyville kid?
Luther North - Hoping the great Ridgewood team my age would get shocked, while also trying to make it happen with LN cheerleader Nicole. Unsuccessful in both regards
Yorkville - Nephew went there
Rochelle - HC playoffs. DiCanio used Coleman as a decoy all game and lost. Give Markus the damn ball Joe!
Lemont - A "just because" Richards game with Ox
Richards - ^^^^
Oswego - Boring Friday nights the one year I lived in Montgomery
Oswego East - Boring Friday nights the one year I lived in Montgomery
Joliet West - Plainfield South nephew played there
Plainfield Central - and there
Plainfield South
Plainfield East - and there
Lincoln-Way East - legendary MC game
Lockport - DGS game long long ago
Thornton - I'm good friends with Joe Ganz B-I-L.... Band played "Where Tha Hood At"... Amazing
Bolingbrook - Several times, with or without Bones
Stagg - Joe Ganz again
Streamwood - Saw Bartlett there.... no clue why
Leyden - My DGS cousin played there
Willowbrook - there
Hinsdale South - there
Downers South - obviously there.... (also saw the Fog Bowl v MS in '01)
Addison Trail - DGS cousin blocked 2 punts and had 2 INTs.... then when Belskis stopped going after the punt blocks, cousin returned 2 punts for TDs, both called back. That flag runs in the family I guess
Morton - Out real early
Hinsdale Central - Whitelaw, day game, then Belluomini's. Became determined to buy Belloumini's, paint it red, and rename it "The Pitchfork Bar and BBQ Pit". Failed
LT - Cousin went up to varsity for the playoffs as a freshmen. Wore #94 as a RB/DB. Looked ridiculous. Just stood there. We all froze.
OPRF - DGS game
Glenbard West - MY FAVORITE stadium. Been there several times. Walk the dog there occasionally. Love it.
York - Great scene, next to the tracks.
Downers North - Also a great scene. The WSS has some wonderful atmospheres
Jerseyville - Flew to STL for HC playoffs, then visited my friend's maniac older brother at UMSL.
Benedictine U. - DGS vs BB after rain moved the game away from the Hit Hard Gang's grass field
North Central Coll - HS all-star game in 95 to watch my guys Dolan and Lizak.

Really disappointed in the amount of individuals who don't leave the Chicago area to watch high school football at no point during their years of being a fan or affiliated with a team.

Herscher
Mac
Kankakee
Bradley
Momence
Clifton Central
Watseka
Iroquois West
Tri -Point
Milford
Manteno
Peotone
Reed- Custer
Wilmington
Coal City
Plano
Sandwich
Seneca
Streator
Dwight
Lisle
Westmont
Morris
Kaneland
Minooka
Sycamore
Yorkville
Mendota
Glenbard South
Elmwood Park
Evergreen Park
Riverside Brookfield
Ridgewood
Lemont
Pontiac
Prairie Central
Bloomington CC
Bloomington
Normal Community
Olympia
Rochester
SHG
Normal UHigh/ ISU
Mahomet
Eureka
Deer Creek Mac
Metamora
Aledo
Rock Falls
Sterling
Spring Valley
Princeton
Illiopolis
Sherrard
Paxton
Chenoa
Gibson City
Ridgeview
Providence
LWE
LWC
JCA
Plainfield Central
Plainfield South
Brother Rice
St Rita
Leo
Hales
Driscoll
Montini
Marian catholic
Rich South
Aurora Christian
Downers Grove N
Naperville Central
Naperville North
WWS
Maine South
Glenbrook S
Gately
Hanson
Lane
Tolono Unity
SJO
Tri Valley

Reactions: all4theillini
Herscher
Mac
Kankakee
Bradley
Momence
Clifton Central
Watseka
Iroquois West
Tri -Point
Milford
Manteno
Peotone
Reed- Custer
Wilmington
Coal City
Plano
Sandwich
Seneca
Streator
Dwight
Lisle
Westmont
Morris
Kaneland
Minooka
Sycamore
Yorkville
Mendota
Glenbard South
Elmwood Park
Evergreen Park
Riverside Brookfield
Ridgewood
Lemont
Pontiac
Prairie Central
Bloomington CC
Bloomington
Normal Community
Olympia
Rochester
SHG
Normal UHigh/ ISU
Mahomet
Eureka
Deer Creek Mac
Metamora
Aledo
Rock Falls
Sterling
Spring Valley
Princeton
Illiopolis
Sherrard
Paxton
Chenoa
Gibson City
Ridgeview
Providence
LWE
LWC
JCA
Plainfield Central
Plainfield South
Brother Rice
St Rita
Leo
Hales
Driscoll
Montini
Marian catholic
Rich South
Aurora Christian
Downers Grove N
Naperville Central
Naperville North
WWS
Maine South
Glenbrook S
Gately
Hanson
Lane
Tolono Unity
SJO
Tri Valley

Tiger - we all know you HATE private schools. You've been to a lot of road games at private schools. Please rank your top 3 you hate the most and 3 you respect the most. Hate and respect is a subjective combination of several factors - the fan base, the actual venue, the atmosphere etc. This should be fun...

Reactions: ignazio
Hate:

1. Mac

2. Aurora Christian- in an industrial complex with terrible music
3. Brother Rice... you asked for 3, nothing against this place other than tiny visitors side and awful parking

Favorite-

1.Providence.. area west of field is great time and fans are great
2. Leo.. it's so shitty it's nice
3. Montini.. cozy
4. JCA- no idea why
5. Ottawa Marquette... old school, kids walk 2 blocks to the field.. kinda neat

Marist
BR
Rita
Gately
JCA
Benet
Glenbard North
Fremd
Bolingbrook
St. Laurence
Richards
Nequa Valley
Oswego
Nazareth
Sandburg
Naperville Central

Okay lets see...

Bolingbrook
Downers South
Romeoville
Downers North
OPRF
Lincoln Way East
Lincoln Way Central
Neuqua Valley
Waubonsie Valley
Naperville Central
Naperville North
Wheaton South
Glenbard West
Richards
Andrew
Stagg
Sandburg
Joliet Catholic
Joliet Central
Joliet West
Gately (Simeon/MC)
CoM
Providence
Naz
Hinsdale Central
Maine South
Lake Zurich
Schaumburg
Loyola
Benet
Reavis
Fenton
Bloomington
Hinsdale South
Morton
Plainfield North
Plainfield South
Lockport
Montini
Bro Rice
B-Mac
Bradley
H-F
Bloom
Lyons
St. Rita
Warren
Marist
Addison Trail
U-High
Prospect
Minooka
Thornridge
Thornwood
Thornton

theres some schools I'm sure I watched a game at, but cannot remember like:

Shepherd
Proviso East
Proviso West
York

Montini
Brother Rice
ESL
Fenwick -Triton and Berwyn
Marmion
St. Francis
Maine South
Loyola
St. Rita
DeLaSalle
St. Joseph
Stillman Valley
Coal City
Seneca
Wilmington
Plainfield South, East and North
Oswego
Minooka
Joliet West
Leo
Peotone
Manteno
Sandwich
St. Ignatius
Romeoville
DePaul College prep
Gately Stadium
Hanson
Streator
Herscher
Thats all I can remember!

Gene,

How did you get the bad taste out of your mouth after visiting Herscher, I haven't been there in over 2 years and I can still taste it, yuck!

Montini
Brother Rice
ESL
Fenwick -Triton and Berwyn
Marmion
St. Francis
Maine South
Loyola
St. Rita
DeLaSalle
St. Joseph
Stillman Valley
Coal City
Seneca
Wilmington
Plainfield South, East and North
Oswego
Minooka
Joliet West
Leo
Peotone
Manteno
Sandwich
St. Ignatius
Romeoville
DePaul College prep
Gately Stadium
Hanson
Streator
Herscher
Thats all I can remember!

Spiraling from my location on out:

Sterling/Sterling Newman — Sterling Chevrolet Field at Roscoe Eades Stadium: They have shared a stadium since the 1960s. Concrete bleacher seating constructed as a WPA project in the late 1930s. Installed turf a few years ago. Bleacher section currently undergoing renovation, along with a brand new press box. Naming rights came along with the turf. Named after former coach, principal and sup. Roscoe Eades.

Rock Falls — Lloyd Hinders Field: Rock Falls isn't known for their football, and this stadium isn't all that special. River is about a could hundred feet from the north end of the stadium, behind thick trees, and bugs can be a problem. Named after former coach, AD, and basketball scorebook innovator Lloyd Hinders.

Dixon — A. C. Bowers Field: One-sided metal bleacher seating looking across to the outside gym wall for the most part. South end zone overlooks the Rock River. Ronald Reagan played football on these grounds before an actual stadium was constructed, and lived in one of the houses that overlooks the north end zone.

Morrison — Ennis M. "Bud" Cole Field: One-sided concrete setup with metal bleachers. Not much to look at. Rock Creek runs along visitors bench.

Milledgeville — Floyd Daub Field: Sort of a quarter-bowl with a cornfield off past the east end zone. Players ring a bell after home wins, walking up that bowl.

Fulton — Steamer Field

Prophetstown — Mosher Field: Former home of the Prophetstown Prophets before their co-op with Erie in 2000. Home sites alternate. Mosher underwent a 2-year renovation before the 2015 season and looks nice for a small school.

Erie — Wayne Hein Field

Riverdale — One of the few northwest Illinois field that run in a directional slant. Bleachers are tall, one-sided, and rickety. Did not like climbing them.

Lanark Eastland — Half-bowl, fans climb down steps to get to seating area. Large truck atmopshere, and pregame arrangement has trucks rev up smoke and players emerge from it.

Savanna — Wm. F. Massey Field: Home of small-school football futility for a while before serving as the current home of the West Carroll Thunder. Also a WPA project, concrete bleachers are crumbling at certain places. Pine trees on two ends.

Amboy — The Harbor

Ashton-Franklin Center — Mel Barron Field in Franklin Grove: Cornfield on the visitor's side, UP train near north end zone, trucks back up and are lined along home sideline. Country football at it's finest.

Rochelle — Helms Athletic Complex (defunct): Don't remember much of this other than watching a freshman game years ago before the current field was built.

Rochelle — Creason Athletic Complex: They take care of their grass very well; NO ONE is allowed to walk on it during the off-season. Concessions are a walk, and weight room is in a stand-along building that also houses locker rooms.

Stillman Valley — Another diagonal field

Byron — Everett Stein Field

Oregon — Landers-Loomis Field

Forreston — Houses are along the visitors sideline, making for a great atmosphere if you live there.

Polo — You walk across the old gravel track (which used to be cinder) to get to the bleachers.

Galena — Chuck Korte Field: I believe this is the 2nd highest football field in Illinois, being up in the glacier area.

River Ridge (Hanover) — Technically didn't see a game there, but rather a practice.

Stockton — End zones are infields of a pair of softball diamonds.

Lena-Winslow — The Panther Bowl: a diagonal-shaped field. Go downhill to sit on a one-sided setup. You can see the town's water park off to the left. The visiting sideline butts up against backyards of a line of houses. Visiting fans have been known to trespass on this private property to watch games.

Aquin — Conley Field: Real old stadium which hasn't changed since the early 1970s. At all.

Dakota — They take care of their grass real good as well. Nice and green.

Winnebago — Colburn Athletic Field: New home bleachers as of a few years ago. One of the first press boxes I've covered a football game, nice and cramped right next to the female sports reporter from Rockford (win!). New press box is very spacious with bar chairs to sit on.

Rockford Boylan — Not much to the home of the Titans, but I can't get Daft Punk's "One More Time" out of my head when thinking of this. During their back-to-back title years, they'd play the song after every Titans TD - and there were lots of them.

Rockton Hononegah — Kelsey Field

Harlem — Clyde Peterson Stadium

Rockford Guilford/East — Swanson Stadium

Belvidere — Funderberg Stadium: Similar to the aforementioned Dixon stadium. Has a small visual display of Belvidere Bucs memorabilia near the front gate. This stadium was Belvidere North's for its first couple of years, and both teams sitting on the same side during the "Battle of Belvidere" was quite something.

North Boone — Tiniest. Press box. Ever.; back in the Four Rivers days. They've since upgraded.

Harvard — This one's nice. Picturesque campus off to the side.

Burlington Central — Rocket Hill: The highest football field in Illinois, and can see the Sears Tower from it on a very clear day.

Kaneland — Peterson Field

Genoa-Kingston — another school that takes care of its grass very well.

Sycamore — Engh Community Field: The large field house looms behind the home stands.

Plano — Reaper Stadium: another school that takes care of its grass very well. Press box acts like a bridge between entryway from gate to bleachers.

Sandwich — [very little recollection of this one]

Morris — The large grove of trees past the visiting sideline makes it look like you're in a state park of sorts.

Streator — [very little recollection of this one]

Ottawa — King Field: (Not to be confused with Kingman Gymnasium). Illinois River is behind the visitors bleachers, on the other side of an oft-reinforced levee. Stadium has been known to flood when the river goes up. Visiting bleachers butt up against the 4-story school. Press box is in one of the classrooms.

Mendota — Doenier Field (defunct)

Mendota — (New) stadium: Has a little bit of Dyche Stadium to it past the south end zone (minus trees), overlooking Lake Mendota. One of the few downstate "small" schools with turf.

Hall — Nesti Stadium: "The Gates of Hall" you must pass before entering.

Princeton — Bryant Field: [very little recollection of this one]

Kewanee — Peterson-Breedlove Field: Located near a cemetery.

Geneseo — Bob Reade Field: This one is currently undergoing a renovation. Its atmosphere lives up to the program's success. Home players ring a bell after wins. Video scoreboard is one of the finest in the state.

East Moline UT — Soule Bowl: They leveled off part of a hill for this one, located about a 1/2 mile from the campus [old school was just across the street]

Moline — Browning Field: It's over 100 years old and not much to it. Next to the historic Wharton Fieldhouse, and also about a 1/2-mile from campus.

Rock Island — Almquist Field at Rock Island Public Schools Stadium: 3/4-concrete-ring seating. Rock Island line train whistle blows after every home TD, along with a LOUD cannon.

Alleman — Ericson Stadium: Actually the home of the Augustana Vikings. Turf. Trains run across the highway next to it. Totally redone a few years back.

NOW, for the stadiums that lay outside my former website's coverage area ...

Stark County — Gary Johnson Field: Like the aforementioned AFC, trucks park along the stadium ring. They're called the Rebels, and don't be surprised to see Stars and Bars.

Peoria Richwoods — Richwoods Stadium: Blah

Peoria Public Schools Stadium: Haven't been to a game there in 15 years, but it was a dump back then.

Coal City
Bishop Mac
Gately
Eckersall
Lane
Lemont
York
Conant

Reactions: all4theillini
Maine East
Maine West
Maine South
Maine North (defunct)
Niles West
Niles East (defunct)
Niles North
Evanston
New Trier East (old field, east campus)
New Trier /New Trier West
Deerfield
Waukegan East
Waukegan West
Glenbrook North
Glenbrook South
Gately Stadium (Maine East's 1 playoff game in school history)
Hansen Stadium (St Pats)
Lane Stadium
Forest View (now Robert Morris )
Arlington (yes, I'm that old)
Palatine (duh..)
Fremd
Barrington
Schaumburg
Hoffman Estates
Conant
Buffalo Grove
Elk Grove
Wheeling (still mad about that 2014 loss..)
Prospect
Rolling Meadows
Stevenson
Libertyville
Warren
St Charles North
Lyons
OPRF
Glenbard West
Niles Notre Dame
Mundelien
NIU (DeKalb Barbs & Huskies)

and if you count lacrosse games..
Vernon Hills
Marist
Lake Zurich
Grayslake North
St Edward

Maine East
Maine West
Maine South
Maine North (defunct)
Niles West
Niles East (defunct)
Niles North
Evanston
New Trier East (old field, east campus)
New Trier /New Trier West
Deerfield
Waukegan East
Waukegan West
Glenbrook North
Glenbrook South
Gately Stadium (Maine East's 1 playoff game in school history)
Hansen Stadium (St Pats)
Lane Stadium
Forest View (now Robert Morris )
Arlington (yes, I'm that old)
Palatine (duh..)
Fremd
Barrington
Schaumburg
Hoffman Estates
Conant
Buffalo Grove
Elk Grove
Wheeling (still mad about that 2014 loss..)
Prospect
Rolling Meadows
Stevenson
Libertyville
Warren
St Charles North
Lyons
OPRF
Glenbard West
Niles Notre Dame
Mundelien
NIU (DeKalb Barbs & Huskies)

and if you count lacrosse games..
Vernon Hills
Marist
Lake Zurich
Grayslake North
St Edward

You didn't come to LA for that playoff game? Or those non-cons back in . . . early/mid-90s?

Notre Dame - Nice, but relatively boring
Hanson (St. Pat's) - Best/Worst home field advantage.
Joliet Memorial - Typical city stadium
Hersey - Great environment back in the early 2000's
Glenbrook South - Good football passion considering their recent struggles
Geneva - Solid big suburban school stadium
Shepard - Mostly forgettable but not in a bad way
Naz - Great little stadium and setting
Guerin - Have the land to be great
Loyola - Should be more charming, but very good
St. Viator/Forest View - very nice place
Lane - Arguably (in terms of charm) the Mecca of CPS football.
St. Larry - Good spot to catch a game

I have a few.

Lockport old athletic field at Briggs and Division and new stadium at East opened in 1976
Joliet Central old and new fields
Joliet West
Joilet East (The Kingsmen) How many of you remember them? School closed in 1983.
Joliet Memorial Stadium
Providence
Andrew
Sandburg
Argo
Marian Catholic
Bloom
Romeoville
Bolingbrook old and new campus
Plainfield which later became Plainfield Central
Plainfield South
Minooka
Morris
Wilmington
LWE
LWC
Neuqua Valley
Waubonsee Valley
Hinsdale Central
Downers Grove South
U of I
Loyola
Brother Rice
St. Rita
Gately
Lane Tech
Thornton
Hales
Montini
West Aurora
Oswego

Other States

Maryville, Mo (Spoofhounds)
Big Spring, TX (Steers)
Biloxi, MS (Indians)

Maybe there are a few I missed in Illinois.

Last edited:
Reactions: jwarigaku
Ok gonna try to assemble this....will start here then will keep coming editing/adding as we move along. Will focus on one area of the state at a time..

Soldier Field
Illinois State Hancock Field
NIU Husky Stadium
Illinois Memorial Stadium
EIU
SIU
Gately Stadium
Rockne Stadium
Eckersall Stadium
Hanson Stadium
Mandrake Park
Stagg Field (CPL)
Lane Stadium
Peoria Stadium
Rocky Stadium Rock Island
Augustana (Rock Island Alleman)
TF North
TF South
Oak Forest
Oak Lawn
Oak Lawn Richards
Eisenhower
Shepard
Bremen
Hillcrest
Rich East
Rich South
Rich Central
Bloom
Bloom Trail
Thornwood
Thornridge
Thornton
H-F
Marian Catholic
LW East
LW West
LW Central
LW North
Bradley
Kankakee
Coal City
Wilmington
Tinley Park
Andrew
Lemont
Providence
Joliet Memorial Stadium
Joliet West
Joliet Central
Minooka
Morris
Plain Central
Plain South
Plain North
Bolingbrook (Old and New campus)
Romeoville
Lockport

Last edited:
Ok gonna try to assemble this....will start here then will keep coming editing/adding as we move along. Will focus on one area of the state at a time..

Soldier Field
Illinois State Hancock Field
NIU Husky Stadium
Illinois Memorial Stadium
EIU
SIU
Gately Stadium
Eckersall Stadium
Hanson Stadium
Mandrake Park
Stagg Field (CPL)
Lane Stadium
Peoria Stadium
Rocky Stadium Rock Island
Augustana (Rock Island Alleman)
TF North
TF South
Oak Forest
Oak Lawn
Oak Lawn Richards
Eisenhower
Shepard
Bremen
Hillcrest
Rich East
Rich South
Rich Central
Bloom
Bloom Trail
Thornwood
Thornridge
Thornton
H-F
Marian Catholic
LW East
LW West
LW Central
LW North
Bradley
Kankakee
Coal City
Wilmington
Tinley Park
Andrew
Lemont
Providence
Joliet Memorial Stadium
Joliet West
Joliet Central
Minooka
Morris
Plain Central
Plain South
Plain North
Bolingbrook (Old and New campus)
Romeoville
Lockport

How about we try to name a place you haven't been?

If I had to guess three:
New Trier East, Antioch and North Shore Country Day.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
I've been to quite a few, many more than once. Not sure that I'll get to add many new ones until they start opening up new schools again

Gatley
Rockne
St Rita
Hanson (weber & St Pat's)
Oak Park
Proviso East
Proviso West
York
Glenbard West
Downers North
Highland Park
Addison Trial
Willowbrook
Morton
Leyden
Hinsdale Central
Hinsdale South
Lyons
Maine South
Maine East
Deerfield
New Trier
Glenbrook North
Glenbrook South
Wheaton North
Wheaton Warrenville South
Naperville North
Naperville Central
Waubonsie Valley
Lane Tech
Metea Valley
Neuqua Valley
North Central
Lake Park
East Aurora
West Aurora
Aurora Catholic
Elhin Stadium - Elgin /Elgin Larkin
Streamwood - Streamwood/Bartlett/South Elgin
Geneva
Batavia
Luther North
Luther South
IC
Driscoll
Benet (BU & on Campus)
Lisle (BU & @ middle school on hill)
Huntley
Sycamore
Loyola
Notre Dame
Joliet Memorial (JCA)
Nazareth
Marist
Marion Catholic
Carmel
Holy Cross
Thornton
Thornwood
Thornridge
Bradley B
Lincoln Way East
Lincoln Way Central ( and when is was just LW too)
Lincoln Way North
Lincoln Way West
Lake Forest
Lake Forest Academy
North Shore Country Day School
Mendota
Danville
Maine West
Vernon Hills
Evanston
Niles North
Niles West
Brother Rice
Providence
Fenwick (Elmhurst College & Morton)
Montini
Marmion
DeLaSalle
St Francis
St Joe’s
Bloomington Central Catholic
St Viator - Forest View
Jacobs
Crystal Lake South
Coal City
Sandwich
Westmont
Richmond Burton
Woodstock
Wilmington
Riverside Brookfield
Glenbard South
Fenton
St Edwards
Ridgewood
Elmwood Park
Chicago Christian
Walther Luther
Rolling Meadows
Wheeling
Prospect
Hersey
Buffalo Grove
Palatine
Barrington
Fremd
Hoffman Estates
Schaumburg
Conant
Libertyville
Stevenson
Warren
Mundelein
Rockford Boylan
DeKalb (NIU)
Yorkville
Antoich
Round Lake
Hillcrest
Oak Forest
Breman
TF North
Richards
Lemont
Eisenhower
Evergreen Park
Argo
Rich Central
Rich East
Rich South
Bloom
Oswego
Joliet Central
Joliet West
Plainfield Central
Lockport
Sandburg
Andrew
Homewood Flossmoor
Bolingbrook
St Charles East
St Charles North
Glenbard East
Glenbard North
West Chicago
University of Illinois

Gene,

How did you get the bad taste out of your mouth after visiting Herscher, I haven't been there in over 2 years and I can still taste it, yuck!
Had a nephew who was the QB at Coal City. His father was the head coach, Lenny Onson. Beside the travel time to get there, Herscher wasn't as bad as Triton for visitors watching the game.

After seeing some very impressive lists of some on this thread I feel like I haven't been to a lot of games. LOL

As an addendum to the thread, always curious where others have seen a college game and their recommendations for a good weekend.

Seen a game at:
Illinois (x, who knows, a hundred)
NIU (x3)
North Park
North Central
EIU (x5)
Texas
WIU
Auburn
Washington (x3)
Nebraska
Michigan (x2)
Ohio State (x6 or 7)
iowa
Wisconsin (x4)
Michigan State (x2)
Florida (x4)
Dartmouth
Plymouth State University
Rose Bowl
Milliken
Central Florida
Northwestern (x 6 or 7)

Someday would like to get to Augie for a game.

Rock Island - was a wonderful stadium. Looks like a horse shoe.

Lemont- One of the best home field advantages. Visitor stands are 5 bleachers high.

Sycamore- Wonderful hospitality and a great pork chop sandwich!

Joliet Memorial Stadium- Nothing left to say.

Yorkville- Playing "The boys of Fall" over the P.A. system during warm-ups.

Glenbard South- Great high-school atmosphere.

Danville- Very unique. Have rowdy loyal fans. Fun place to play.

Gately Stadium - Sucks! An accident waiting to happen.

Just few sites that I will always remember.

Got quite a few from my 40+ years of watching football. Among them:

Ottawa Marquette (my prep alma mater)
Ottawa HS
Marseilles--closed 1990
Seneca
Spring Valley Hall
St. Bede
LaSalle-Peru
Mendota (both old and new schools)
Bloomington Central Catholic (old stadium on east side and at ISU)
Aurora Central Catholic
Kankakee McNamara
Herscher (both old and current locations)
Morris
Sandwich
Yorkville
Amboy
Streator HS
Flanagan
Pontiac
Kenosha (WI) St. Joseph
Momence
Wheaton Christian
Stanford Olympia
Norridge Ridgewood
Clifton Central
ISU (state finals and for Normal U-High)
Princeton
Morton (downstate--saw five OT game there)
Quincy Notre Dame (at Flinn Stadium)
Pittsfield
South Beloit
Ashton (before it co-oped with Franklin Center)
Geneseo
Riverside-Brookfield
Peoria Heights
Wilmington
Joliet Catholic
Peoria Richwoods
Monticello
Mahomet-Seymour
Fisher
Rantoul
Farmer City Blue Ridge
Leroy (when it co-oped with Downs Tri-Valley)
Gibson City-Melvin-Sibley
Paxton-Buckley-Loda
St. Joseph-Ogden
Arthur (when it was Arthur-Lovington co-op)
Heyworth
Bethalto Civic Memorial
El Paso (before it became El Paso-Gridley)
Chenoa--closed 2004
Deer Creek-Mackinaw
Normal Community (old and new locales)
Normal West
Bloomington HS (I'm the PA announcer there now)
Colfax Ridgeview
East St. Louis (current stadium)
Decatur MacArthur (got locked in there after the lights were turned off)
Decatur Eisenhower
Springfield Sacred Heart-Griffin (at Memorial Stadium)
Chatham Glenwood
Champaign Central/Champaign Centennial (share same stadium)
Danville
Urbana
Mattoon
U of I (state finals)

I'm sure I've been to and/or driven by others....I'd have to think about it more.

College addendum, as I lay around between Easter brunch and dinner.

Norte Dame
Northwestern
Illinois
Benedictine
Elmhurst
Chicago
Wrigley Field
Northern Illinois
St. Xavier
Concordia
Holy Cross H.S. (Triton v Morraine)
North Central College
Western Illinois
Illinois State
Iowa
Iowa State
Michigan
Minnesota
Purdue
Arkansas
Florida State
Miami
Clemson
South Carolina
Texas
Wisconsin
Washington U StL
Mizzou

College addendum, as I lay around between Easter brunch and dinner.

Norte Dame
Northwestern
Illinois
Benedictine
Elmhurst
Chicago
Wrigley Field
Northern Illinois
St. Xavier
Concordia
Holy Cross H.S. (Triton v Morraine)
North Central College
Western Illinois
Illinois State
Iowa
Iowa State
Michigan
Minnesota
Purdue
Arkansas
Florida State
Miami
Clemson
South Carolina
Texas
Wisconsin
Washington U StL
Mizzou
Very cool! I was beginning to think I was the only one who visits this board who watches college football.

College edition:
University of Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
USC
UCLA reg season plus multiple Rose Bowl
Sun Bowl in Texas (El Paso)
Arizona State
Holiday Bowl - in San Diego - not sure if any colleges claim that as a home stadium?
Soldier Field - Illinois and NW seperate visits
North Central
Michigan
Central Michigan
Western Michigan
Minnesota
Northwestern
Ohio State
Old Orange Bowl before tear down
Some others I have probably forgotten.

Planning in the next few years:
Illinois
Purdue
Indiana
Western Illinois
SIU

Can't believe I have been in the Chicagoland for 12 years and haven't seen Illinois in their home stadium (only at Soldier) nor any of our other in state college teams other than NW. Saturday's have been just too busy I guess.

High School:
Multiple stadiums in Washington State
Multiple stadiums in Oregon
Multiple stadiums in California.
*(No one will know the west coast HS's) on the board so no point in listing)

Illinois/Midwest
Waubonsie
Naperville Central
Naperville North
Wheaton North
WWS
Neuqua
Glenbard North
Lake Park
Metea
East Aurora
West Aurora
Bartlett
Elgin
West Chicago
Glenbard East
Oswego
Oswego East
Bolingbrook
Edwardsville
Marist
Hindsdale Central
Lincoln Way East
Benet
Montini
Hamilton Southeastern (Indiana)
Saint Edwards (Ohio)
Saint Ignagatius (Ohio)
Hudson (Ohio)
Twinsburg (Ohio)

I think the question should now be which stadiums did you like the most? For me in no order:

Wilmington: That entrance with the motorcycles is worth the drive from Skokie.
GW: The view. Enough Said.
Barrington: IF there's a high school stadium in the state with higher stands I want to see it. Pork Chop Sandwiches are good too.
Lake Zurich: The fans are bonkers.
LWE: The fans are nuts and the football is always good.

ADVERTISEMENT