ADVERTISEMENT

Wheaton Coach Mike Swider retires

MS4EVER

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2004
I know this was mentioned in another thread but I wanted to write my own.

Many moons ago my stepsister started dating a man who was a football coach. He had long hair and threw the football really hard. We played catch and talked about football at every family party. Eventually they got married and my love for football would grow more through our conversations. They ended up having three amazing kids and I was able to watch them play sports. I feel my love for football was always there but my relationship with him really made it grow. I learned a lot and I'm thankful for the time we had together over the years. That man was Mike Swider who I am lucky enough to call my brother-in-law. Congrats Coach on an amazing career. You did things the right way and many a young man are better because of you.

He is a really great coach and built a phenomenal program that any school would be proud of. I really believe that high tide lifts all boats and the rivalry between NCC and Wheaton has made those two programs elite and forced everyone else in the CCIW to get better, without Swider that doesn’t happen.

I remember (30 years ago) going to Football Camp at Wheaton College when we needed to be on the Field by 8:00am and here comes a long haired, enthusiastic Coach that had already worked out, run 5 miles and eaten breakfast before we were even awake walk onto the Field and simply say, "Gentlemen, there is no use in prolonging the inevitable!" and we would all take off on a warm-up lap. Guy is a Stud. Congrats on an Incredible career!

Last edited:
Chop...chop...and they're off like a herd of turtles......I remember hearing that back in 92-93 at a Bishop and Dullahan camp he was at. I was fortunate enough to play against him as a Spartan. I consider myself in the company of not too many other to walk away with a win against ine of his teams. But, just once.....Thats the ultimate compliment, always coached his team to play hard and clean. Later in life saw his boys kids dominate on the football field, and most recently have seen his son coaching now at a local HS. How'd I know they were related? His son's hair and his voice. Pretty cool--

ADVERTISEMENT