ADVERTISEMENT

What's the cutoff for CPS strike

I've only been on this forum for a short time..for you long term guys. . Is this the strangest season in a long time? So many different storylines.

I've only been on this forum for a short time..for you long term guys. . Is this the strangest season in a long time? So many different storylines.

With the CPS strike, hurried games (likely done to stick it to the others), the Ritter and Proviso imbroglios, I would say it’s up there.

Reactions: USD24
There are some good cps programs that can beat some schools in the Burbs. Orr won two state games last year so yea

I said “plenty” as in many circumstances not all situations. But this year there are likely to be some particularly good 4-5 teams like Marist and Naperville Central as I mentioned.

If the strike were to continue and cause forfeits, would the recipient of the W due to forfeit have to travel if their next opponent was the lower seed in game 1?

If the strike were to continue and cause forfeits, would the recipient of the W due to forfeit have to travel if their next opponent was the lower seed in game 1?
That’s a very interesting question.

Plan for the cps school and if they get bounced who ever they put in place will be sub par anyway relax
Like Marist? Naperville Central? Not fair to other teams that earned their way in to not have a definite opponent until Wednesday.

Reactions: Gene K.
Like Marist? Naperville Central? Not fair to other teams that earned their way in to not have a definite opponent until Wednesday.
I don't think so.Think back to 87.With CPS only getting Lane Tech in many 6-3 schools who would have been left out got in.Rich South got all the way to the semi finals

Here’s an interesting possibility. If somebody draws a CPS school first round and in the game next to them are two CPS schools, they are automatically in the quarterfinals. Terrible.

Here’s an interesting possibility. If somebody draws a CPS school first round and in the game next to them are two CPS schools, they are automatically in the quarterfinals. Terrible.
I said the same thing.That would be funny

too bad IHSA doesn't have committee like NCAA hoops making choices, they'd make sure it would't happen. Tragic for a team to get a two week bye in the state playoffs!

Most likely the case. Would suck for higher seeded school and lost playoff game revenue.

Question: so if a 5-3 CPS team only played CPS teams, so the entire schedule double forfeits this week, they get 0 playoff points this week? Record low pp should happen this year if the top 4-5 don't get in...

There are some good cps programs that can beat some schools in the Burbs. Orr won two state games last year so yea

And there are 5A CPS schools who win their first round game who got blown out by a 2 win 3A school in week 2 - last year 7-4 Brooks lost to 2-7 Reed Custer 46-12.

What doesn’t make sense to me is by the time we get to Saturday we will know long before the pairings if the CPS teams are still on strike or not.

seems to me if they are still out they should just seed the playoffs without them. Harsh I know but it’s not fair to teams who get a bye, lose a home game and have their first playoff game on the road as a better seed.

Reactions: superac777
What doesn’t make sense to me is by the time we get to Saturday we will know long before the pairings if the CPS teams are still on strike or not.

seems to me if they are still out they should just seed the playoffs without them. Harsh I know but it’s not fair to teams who get a bye, lose a home game and have their first playoff game on the road as a better seed.

1. Your scenario about first game in round 2 on road as higher seed only happens if the other game has the lower seed win on the road week 1. So you’d have to have a team who happens to be paired with a CPS team and gets the forfeit also happen to be above or below a game where an “upset” also occurs. We aren’t talking about that many instances and potentially none.

2. Regarding seeding the CPS teams. On pairings day Saturday you WON’T know if the strike might end by the end of the day tuesday! Good luck explaining that if it happens and oh too bad Phillips you got the boot in place of a 4-5 non-qualifier and you could have played if we would have seeded you cuz the strike did end in time... welp, sorry.

1. Your scenario about first game in round 2 on road as higher seed only happens if the other game has the lower seed win on the road week 1. So you’d have to have a team who happens to be paired with a CPS team and gets the forfeit also happen to be above or below a game where an “upset” also occurs. We aren’t talking about that many instances and potentially none.

2. Regarding seeding the CPS teams. On pairings day Saturday you WON’T know if the strike might end by the end of the day tuesday! Good luck explaining that if it happens and oh too bad Phillips you got the boot in place of a 4-5 non-qualifier and you could have played if we would have seeded you cuz the strike did end in time... welp, sorry.
Piss on the CPS.Should have had this taken care of long ago

Piss on the CPS.Should have had this taken care of long ago

As upset as you are about the CPS teams getting bracketed and possibly forfeiting and your argument to replace them with other teams with 4-5 records makes me believe you are a supporter of a 4-5 team looking for a back door way into the playoffs. Whether that’s accurate or not, the 4-5 teams that don’t get to replace the CPS teams don’t have a legitimate gripe.... they didn’t qualify and weren’t getting in anyway so they have a right to be upset that some Hail Mary back door way in didn’t come through?! Nope.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cross Bones
CPS has cancelled school for Thursday, so the 3 days of practice after 7 days of no practice just kicked in unless CPS gets some sort of waiver from IHSA. Without waiver, no CPS games this weekend. Going to get interesting.

I agree with the poster that. When pairings are set on Saturday the IHSA will not know if Chicago Public League teams are going to play their postseason games or forfeit. The three practice rule could be practices exteek tue-wed-Thur and play Friday or even wed-Thur-fri and play Saturday.
What I don’t get right now is posters writing about lost playoff revenue when a playoff game is forfeited, yet nobody seems bothered by expanding the playoffs to 48 teams per bracket with an 8 game regular season which creates a first round bye for every top 16 seeded team in. Each class.
A top end team like let’s pick Lincoln-Way East, can play next year 5 home game during a nine-game regular season. Will host a round of 32 playoff game for a possible total of 6 at home.
The proposed playoff expansion means an 8 game season which is likely 4 home games and4 road games and then a bye in first playoff round and then a home game in round of 32. That’s five at home.
The loss of the ninth regular season game is not made up by the powerhouse teams in the postseason because of the first round bye.

This is discussion is giving me a headache. We won't know till probably Saturday whats going to happen if the strike continues. Feel sorry for the kids who are left in limbo.

It's unfortunate for the CPS teams. I feel for the kids. But the adults making the decisions for the playoffs should make the decision that impacts the least amount of teams based on the information available at the time. I'm not so concerned about 4-5 teams getting in as I am about how it affects schools that legitimately made the playoffs. Forfeits change the landscape for the team getting them and for the teams they later face that didn't have benefit of a forfeit. As sad as it is, there are consequences to the teachers decision to walk out. We can't fix that for the kids and frankly I'm not sure if anyone should. Those that caused it should own it. The fact should be understood that by going out on strike when they did, this was the unavoidable result.

How come they (IHSA) hasn’t made a official statement regarding the issue at hand or did they and I just missed it the Chicago tribune reported it one way and the sun times reported a different way. Both sources are reputable

I'm normally very, very pro-labor, but the city has offered a proposal more than fair. They should take the money and run.

The teachers union backed the wrong (understatement) horse in the mayor's race and they feel a need to show their muscle after that humiliating defeat.

How come they (IHSA) hasn’t made a official statement regarding the issue at hand or did they and I just missed it the Chicago tribune reported it one way and the sun times reported a different way. Both sources are reputable

They did some time ago but people don’t want to accept it. They ARE seeding and bracketing the qualified CPS teams even if they have to forfeit.

Reactions: Cross Bones
People try to move the CPS teams out of the playoffs every year for whatever reason they can find. This doesn't seem as hard as some are making it. You seed the playoffs like usual. If teams have to forfeit due to strike then so be it.

Reactions: bhawks and Irish LB
Soucies new projections today with the CPS eliminated schools significantly changed 3A 4A and 5A

I'm normally very, very pro-labor, but the city has offered a proposal more than fair. They should take the money and run.

The teachers union backed the wrong (understatement) horse in the mayor's race and they feel a need to show their muscle after that humiliating defeat.
You've seen the proposals that haven't been made public yet?

ADVERTISEMENT